Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable vs Fibre

Angry Cable vs Fibre

So, FLOW dropped the ball hard again, now I am considering Fibre.

Also appears that FLOW will not add a backup power supply for my areas node.

Basically the internet goes as the power does.

What's the general consensus on Digicel FIBRE nowadays? Do you still get internet during a power failure?

Would like to know the answer to that question as well. Loosing internet service during a power outage is something I have just come to accept as the norm these days after years of complaining about that annoyance. I recall about 6-7 years ago when I was on ADSL and the joy I had from getting internet service during a power outage, until the batteries at the Outdoor Module they had setup in my community needed to be replaced, made numerous calls to customer service and even spoke to a technician who visited the scheme and the word was they know about the issue but management will not authorize its replacement.
    I suspect this is a cost cutting measure on the part of Flow which will continue in the foreseeable future. Given the importance of continuous internet connectivity this decision is unacceptable.

Not sure how i would test this since i don't have backup power in my house but ive never witnessed my service going down completely in the over two years of using digicel play. The most ive seen in slow loading of some pages which last a couple minutes.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    Not sure how i would test this since i don't have backup power in my house but ive never witnessed my service going down completely in the over two years of using digicel play. The most ive seen in slow loading of some pages which last a couple minutes.
    Same here. Digicel's service is much more reliable than Flow.

Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    Same here. Digicel's service is much more reliable than Flow.
    I notice that even when there is area wide outage of the electricity my digicel play service is still up with my generator so am wondering if its from where the service comes from that has power or they use some generator somewhere along the way

Default This seems apropos.

Last edited by datdread; Aug 17, 2018 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    I notice that even when there is area wide outage of the electricity my digicel play service is still up with my generator so am wondering if its from where the service comes from that has power or they use some generator somewhere along the way
    possible cause digicel is using Passive optical network..
    Passive optical networks do not use electrically powered node, so area wide outage doesn't trouble it onces u have power at your home. you should be good..

When power goes I still have internet. My Flow modem is plugged into a UPS...

Quote Originally Posted by TechGT View Post
    possible cause digicel is using Passive optical network..
    Passive optical networks do not use electrically powered node, so area wide outage doesn't trouble it onces u have power at your home. you should be good..
    That must be it because i always have internet cable phone when the light goes out and even when its the entire parish or most areas. That is good but i wonder if they have a way to reroute traffic incase of a cable break

To all

How often does the Digicel Play external IP change?