Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cable vs Fibre

Support made some "adjustments" and recommended another test.
    Bandwidth Is now working as expected. Thank you all for you input.

Has been very helpful.

Good thing I checked the older posts before creating a duplicate.
    To the point I was curious if anybody had or have both flow rock/essential(25Mbps) and play 25(50Mbps) how they differ interms of consistent connectivity, throttling and any other details.
    Reasons for my inquiry is mainly due to the fact that I am currently uaing Flow Rave and since Nov 2018 service has been horrendous constant disconnection with or w/o use and massive throttling. I went to a flow store and called customer care and is the same response no idea what is going on. I assumed initially it was due to the road work being done on Hagley Park but I spoke with several community members and everyone says it seems to be working as usual and even spoke so some flow technician/engineer doing work on road as weel and most they told me it was realign the cable so I am a bit befuddled so I was looking to press for a different provider if thos continues, I did it when I was using C&W adsl to flow so it seems like a good time to jump again due to bad service for me at least.
    Last edited by Fortis_Techie; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:41 AM.
    Gaming Rig:CM HAF 912|Core i5-3570k|8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz|Asrock z77 Extreme4|MSI GTX 760 OC 4GB DDR5|1TB WD Bluex2+60GB Corsair Force 3 SSD|CM EXtreme2 725w

Quote Originally Posted by Fortis_Techie View Post
    Good thing I checked the older posts before creating a duplicate.
    To the point I was curious if anybody had or have both flow rock/essential(25Mbps) and play 25(50Mbps) how they differ interms of consistent connectivity, throttling and any other details....
    I had the 50Mbps package for a short while before downgrade to 25Mbps. Both packages vary in bandwidth consistency but that is to be expected, Digi uptime is better and their internet connection will often work during power outages (assuming router is on backup). Power consumption is also better: Digi 5v vs Flow 12v, lasts longer on backup.

Though I found the downgrade necessary, I am pleased with the decision to change.

Got a notification from Digicel today that they'll be defaulting their 25/Mbps plan to 50/Mbps but to be honest if youd been with them from the beggining that was already the case anyway so no big whoop, but i decided to do a speed test and was getting some insane numbers such as 600/Mbps, and thinking that couldnt be right, so i also just loaded up steam and tried to download some large files and getting close to 50 megabytes a second anyone else experiencing this?

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8305400255.png

https://imgur.com/4IARtg4

When they first started to upgrade the 25Mb package to 50 i was getting over 100Mb for a few days so go download some games or series while it lasts lol.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Decided I'd jump into this debate about Cable vs. Fibre...

I decided to do some sleuthing around FLOW's Connect Box that I recently got after switching from ADSL to Cable (No fibre in my area... I live in Montego Bay). What I discovered was absolutely amazing.

First of all, what's important to note with cable broadband (as we all know) is that your modem MATTERS. FLOW's Connect Box is used in Puerto Rico, Chile, the UK, Netherlands, Germany etc. It operates on the edge of what DOCSIS 3.0 can provide. This box can bond up to 24 channels downstream (each pushing around 42 Mbit/s) and 8 upstream (around 30.72 Mbit/s per channel). This gives the maximum theoretical of about practically 1 Gbit/s down and 246 Mbit/s up.

Currently, FLOW's implentation is 24x4. It locks to all possible 24 channels on the downsteam and 4 channels in the uplink. This gives the maximum possible delivery speeds of 1Gbit/s down and 123 Mbit/s up. What's also impressive to me is the excellent SINR I'm getting in my area. My package is 60/5 but I average about 65/6 with burst speeds up to 115 Mbit/s (without a sweat too).

From what I'm seeing, in future, FLOW might be gearing up to do a huge speed increase... perhaps akin to the speeds they offer in Panama, Barbados and Puerto Rico (which start out at 100 Mbit/s).

They need to put backups at each node (battery/generators) and work on the stability. There are customers with both DSL and HFC having major latency issues. While the higher bandwidth can mitigate some of the issues - it doesn't fix it. I have a family member on 100Mbit just to try and fix the fact that they were getting garbage on the lower speeds. So now - on 100Mbit - they average about 40Mbit.

While the future looks interesting - they need to ensure that MOST of the clients will be satisfied. As you mentioned MoBay - lemme do a quick check on a remote location.

Well - tests now showing acceptable pings. Under 100 to Google. Normally the site would have 500+ so under 60 average is good. Will continue to monitor. But considering that ticket is open from 11-09-2018, I have little faith in the rollouts. Let's hope that the upgrades done on the back end will improve the overall customer experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Decided I'd jump into this debate about Cable vs. Fibre...

I decided to do some sleuthing around FLOW's Connect Box that I recently got after switching from ADSL to Cable (No fibre in my area... I live in Montego Bay). What I discovered was absolutely amazing.

First of all, what's important to note with cable broadband (as we all know) is that your modem MATTERS. FLOW's Connect Box is used in Puerto Rico, Chile, the UK, Netherlands, Germany etc. It operates on the edge of what DOCSIS 3.0 can provide. This box can bond up to 24 channels downstream (each pushing around 42 Mbit/s) and 8 upstream (around 30.72 Mbit/s per channel). This gives the maximum theoretical of about practically 1 Gbit/s down and 246 Mbit/s up.

Currently, FLOW's implentation is 24x4. It locks to all possible 24 channels on the downsteam and 4 channels in the uplink. This gives the maximum possible delivery speeds of 1Gbit/s down and 123 Mbit/s up. What's also impressive to me is the excellent SINR I'm getting in my area. My package is 60/5 but I average about 65/6 with burst speeds up to 115 Mbit/s (without a sweat too).

From what I'm seeing, in future, FLOW might be gearing up to do a huge speed increase... perhaps akin to the speeds they offer in Panama, Barbados and Puerto Rico (which start out at 100 Mbit/s).
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quick update... something that passed right under our noses happened recently. From the looks of things, FLOW has been importing their next generation Connect Box v2 (Arris TG3492), Liberty Global's new DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. It can push 1.3 Gbit/s over DOCSIS 3.0 and can do DOCSIS 3.1 (likely up to 2.5 Gbit/s)...

Found this out on a recent listing from the SMA of approved electronics for use in Jamaica. We may not have fibre-to-the-home islandwide but we're sure going to be getting fibre speeds quite soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    We may not have fibre-to-the-home islandwide but we're sure going to be getting fibre speeds quite soon!
    ...are we really though? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Flow will have the capability to push more bits to the home but until market forces dictate, why would they?

Our current situation was largely brought about because Digicel came into the market guns blazing, pushing Flow to raise the minimum acceptable speed for home Internet. Where we are now is that Flow desperately needs to get stability back into many parts of it's network and Digicel seems set to shake-up their home broadband packages & pricing in all the wrong ways (although I'll reserve any comments about that until they make an official statement about what has been posted to their website.)

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    ...are we really though? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Flow will have the capability to push more bits to the home but until market forces dictate, why would they?

Our current situation was largely brought about because Digicel came into the market guns blazing, pushing Flow to raise the minimum acceptable speed for home Internet. Where we are now is that Flow desperately needs to get stability back into many parts of it's network and Digicel seems set to shake-up their home broadband packages & pricing in all the wrong ways (although I'll reserve any comments about that until they make an official statement about what has been posted to their website.)
    FLOW's market direction is being directed by forces outside of Jamaica; Panama, Miami and Denver. For example, the new mobile plans align with plans the company's vision & offerings in Panama & other markets. Additionally, Barbados & Panama offer the same broadband speed tiers and now that FLOW has announced that they're doing the preliminary work for upgrades on their broadband/fixed product (preceeded by them stocking 32x8 capable D3 and 2x2 D3.1 modems; to deploy at scale), the network is set for a huge speed boost & reliability upgrade. Additionally, the problem of stability needs to be localized to certain areas as this is not the modal experience of all subscribers on the network.