Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: Which Network is the best Flow or Digicel

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,817
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    You realize that LTE speeds give better performance for all those services you mentioned right? Or as Digicel puts it, a better mobile experience. And 3GB from FLOW is $1,750 for 30 days on LTE while Digicel is $4,000 for LTE for the month.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    Funny you say digicel cant compete in mobile yet they have probably twice the amount of mobile subscribers as flow. You guys talking about speed but the average customer which makes up the bulk of the network does not know or care how many Mb/s they are getting as long as whatsapp messages can send and instagram pics can load them good. Digicel has over a dozen different plans and add ons to choose from so most people find one that works for them and as long as the data last they are okay.
    Well... I guess you can have fun waiting in cue when Digicel's LTE network hits rock bottom. A number have already ported out of Digicel since the LTE upgrade because in some areas (like Kingston) it's highly unusable. LTE speed doesn't just speak to browsing experience but overall network capacity! Moreover, you're casually forgetting that FLOW was the first to not price LTE apart from HSPA+. FLOW's data options are rock solid for those who actually consume alot of data and it also has the quality to back it up too.

    On the Digicel v. FLOW point, while Digicel may have more subcribers holding Digicel SIMs, it is not indicative of the actual network load they may be under. For example, FLOW handles far more traffic than Digicel in the tourist strip thanks to exclusive roaming agreements with Tier-1 US & Canadian operators. Plans from these operators allow for easy access to romaing data which, FLOW is obliged to provided at a certain level. FLOW's LTE sites around MBJ Airport support maximum downlink speeds of up to 225 Mbit/s (with AWS & PCS)... the average speed one will see however is nothing more than 80 Mbit/s with Carrier Aggreation enabled because LTE Band 4 is FILLED with roamers; that 35% of the network's overall resources free to other users! I'm not certain about Digicel's network but given that it is not LTE-A enabled, I expect some users may be getting not so stellar network experiences. While you might not like FLOW, you cannot deny that fact that they are undisputeably better at LTE Mobile data than Digicel. The facts are there to prove it.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    You realize that LTE speeds give better performance for all those services you mentioned right? Or as Digicel puts it, a better mobile experience. And 3GB from FLOW is $1,750 for 30 days on LTE while Digicel is $4,000 for LTE for the month.
    The combo plans are also even better. I use the 4.5 GB combo plan which has 1000 texts and mins for FLOW-to-FLOW mobile & fixed lines. What takes the cake is that all combo plans have built-in FLOW Caribbean roaming; you can use your combo plan data allotment in any FLOW mobile territory free of cost until the plan has expired or fully decremented; to which you can add another FLOW Jamaica plan and continue using as before... Combo plans also have unlimited rollover, I'm at 20 GB and 15k texts & minutes haha

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Well... I guess you can have fun waiting in cue when Digicel's LTE network hits rock bottom. A number have already ported out of Digicel since the LTE upgrade because in some areas (like Kingston) it's highly unusable. LTE speed doesn't just speak to browsing experience but overall network capacity! Moreover, you're casually forgetting that FLOW was the first to not price LTE apart from HSPA+. FLOW's data options are rock solid for those who actually consume alot of data and it also has the quality to back it up too.

    On the Digicel v. FLOW point, while Digicel may have more subcribers holding Digicel SIMs, it is not indicative of the actual network load they may be under. For example, FLOW handles far more traffic than Digicel in the tourist strip thanks to exclusive roaming agreements with Tier-1 US & Canadian operators. Plans from these operators allow for easy access to romaing data which, FLOW is obliged to provided at a certain level. FLOW's LTE sites around MBJ Airport support maximum downlink speeds of up to 225 Mbit/s (with AWS & PCS)... the average speed one will see however is nothing more than 80 Mbit/s with Carrier Aggreation enabled because LTE Band 4 is FILLED with roamers; that 35% of the network's overall resources free to other users! I'm not certain about Digicel's network but given that it is not LTE-A enabled, I expect some users may be getting not so stellar network experiences. While you might not like FLOW, you cannot deny that fact that they are undisputeably better at LTE Mobile data than Digicel. The facts are there to prove it.
    Jesus Digicel is doing really badly in Jamaica. Im seeing where they just launched LTE Pro in Panama and another Market. Also seeing where they have unlimited data for prepaid and postpaid customers in Panama and T&T. Why they doing Jamaica like this is unknown, but I really hope they have some route to get out of this mess. They have band 4 10Mhz to their band 17 10Mhz so maybe this along upgrading back-haul to fiber and Carrier aggregation. Can give them a massive Jump start in the speed and capacity side of their Network.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,817
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Jesus Digicel is doing really badly in Jamaica. Im seeing where they just launched LTE Pro in Panama and another Market. Also seeing where they have unlimited data for prepaid and postpaid customers in Panama and T&T. Why they doing Jamaica like this is unknown, but I really hope they have some route to get out of this mess. They have band 4 10Mhz to their band 17 10Mhz so maybe this along upgrading back-haul to fiber and Carrier aggregation. Can give them a massive Jump start in the speed and capacity side of their Network.
    Because - Digicel has taken up a CWJ mentality to milk the populace for what they can get. They still offer a choice, and choice is good. At least it's not like Bell and Rogers which are essentially the same company to give the populace the illusion of choice.........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    352
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    Funny you say digicel cant compete in mobile yet they have probably twice the amount of mobile subscribers as flow. You guys talking about speed but the average customer which makes up the bulk of the network does not know or care how many Mb/s they are getting as long as whatsapp messages can send and instagram pics can load them good. Digicel has over a dozen different plans and add ons to choose from so most people find one that works for them and as long as the data last they are okay.
    Exactly what is that guy talking about Digicel has a $1000 a month plan that gives 1.5gb data and 1000 on net minutes for 30 days FLOW has NO similar plan, well they do it costs way more and you would have to buy it twice over a 30 day period. Speed? People like me are not using their phone as a substitute for their laptop. Digicel mobile data is blazing fast to me based on what I do downloading of pdf files, instant messaging etc.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Because - Digicel has taken up a CWJ mentality to milk the populace for what they can get. They still offer a choice, and choice is good. At least it's not like Bell and Rogers which are essentially the same company to give the populace the illusion of choice.........
    You mean Bell & Telus. They literally use the same towers & network equipment lol! Digicel is comfortable that it can spend as little as possible and still keep their customers. Why? This forum is a great way seeing the reason; Jamaicans accept mediocrity... Digicel 4G Broadband, LIME's ADSL Broadband, 3G/4G HSPA+ in general from both companies; mediocre all around! This spills over into other things like the banks; NCB, Scotiabank; JPS, NWC... Need I say more?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thy View Post
    Exactly what is that guy talking about Digicel has a $1000 a month plan that gives 1.5gb data and 1000 on net minutes for 30 days FLOW has NO similar plan, well they do it costs way more and you would have to buy it twice over a 30 day period. Speed? People like me are not using their phone as a substitute for their laptop. Digicel mobile data is blazing fast to me based on what I do downloading of pdf files, instant messaging etc.
    What I was alluding to was that Digicel's network doesn't offer as much capacity as does FLOW's i.e. you will eventually see huge slowdowns once the critical mass come onboard the LTE network. Moreover, they aren't keeping up with the pace of data demands. It won't be blazing fast for very long... I can guarantee it (unless you're in rural Jamaica, then you're good)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Jesus Digicel is doing really badly in Jamaica. Im seeing where they just launched LTE Pro in Panama and another Market. Also seeing where they have unlimited data for prepaid and postpaid customers in Panama and T&T. Why they doing Jamaica like this is unknown, but I really hope they have some route to get out of this mess. They have band 4 10Mhz to their band 17 10Mhz so maybe this along upgrading back-haul to fiber and Carrier aggregation. Can give them a massive Jump start in the speed and capacity side of their Network.
    That LTE Pro designation is so funny... what part of Digicel is using 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM to earn the designation 4.5G? I've done speed tests that passed 190+ Mbit/s on FLOW Jamaica, 10 more than what Digicel promises their Panamanian customers, but do you see FLOW parading a fallacy of having 4.5G? No! It's LTE-A; not 4.5G. I assume they'll continue with their antics here as well but if I were in Panama, I'd have stuck with the operator that gives superior technology and service; +Movil (C&W Panama). They have VoLTE, VoWiFi, Small Cells, LTE-A and is great for roaming; Digicel has not one of these amenities, anywhere!
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    What I was alluding to was that Digicel's network doesn't offer as much capacity as does FLOW's i.e. you will eventually see huge slowdowns once the critical mass come onboard the LTE network. Moreover, they aren't keeping up with the pace of data demands. It won't be blazing fast for very long... I can guarantee it (unless you're in rural Jamaica, then you're good)



    That LTE Pro designation is so funny... what part of Digicel is using 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM to earn the designation 4.5G? I've done speed tests that passed 190+ Mbit/s on FLOW Jamaica, 10 more than what Digicel promises their Panamanian customers, but do you see FLOW parading a fallacy of having 4.5G? No! It's LTE-A; not 4.5G. I assume they'll continue with their antics here as well but if I were in Panama, I'd have stuck with the operator that gives superior technology and service; +Movil (C&W Panama). They have VoLTE, VoWiFi, Small Cells, LTE-A and is great for roaming; Digicel has not one of these amenities, anywhere!
    I agree Digicel is low on capital, and as such goes to the lower end vendors for Network expansion and upgrades. I was asking if you don't see them providing fast speeds with there spectrum holdings, which now has band 4 included to give some breathing room on the Network?.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I agree Digicel is low on capital, and as such goes to the lower end vendors for Network expansion and upgrades. I was asking if you don't see them providing fast speeds with there spectrum holdings, which now has band 4 included to give some breathing room on the Network?.
    While Digicel might be low on funds it's not at all obvious. They loading up their network with lte users. In fact come football season they allowing u to watch play playgo or live football on ur ,phone unlimited depending on the plan u choose.

    Flow is a mean mean company. Let them stay with all these speeds which no one seem to care about. It certainly ain't winning over any customer. So many offerings in the mydigicel app that I am having no intention to go back to flow....unless they offer similar offerings at cheaper rate.

    Dont see why they have 100 megs speed on mobile while giving persons social media allotment of 100 megabytes or so. U stream a video it done. Right now my postpaid digicel have 41 GB roll over data so am good

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •