Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Which Network is the best Flow or Digicel

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default


  2. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedean0375 View Post
    Just came back from my vacation. I had and awesome time. I justed wanted to give my feedback on the mobile experience using Flow. The network was rock solid. I had LTE service everywhere I went on the north coast. In Ocho Rios the network is a beast. I would easily get 120mbps on speetest. I did a few Root metrics speed test which you can find on the site. While at home in towers isle's. The network would camp on band 12, even though they have band 2 and 4 running. I did notice that the network in that area was not configured for Carrier aggregation. From Ocho Rios to Port Antonio coverage was strictly band 12 which is only 5mhz. In the town of Port Antonio they have all 3 bands aggregated 5mhz band 12, 20 MHz band 2 and 20 MHz band 4. I was at Ann Marie Vaz birthday bash and with 8000 people in attendance. I was easily getting 140mhps. I did a few Root metrics test at that event. Overall I was impressed by the network. My only issue was the data allotment. The most you can get is 4.5gbs. Coming from the USA were I easily use 120gb to 150gb per month. It was a struggle saving data. The first thing I would tell anyone using the network is to turn off Google photos sync over cell network. My first $400 in credit was eaten away from. Google photos. They offer gig up which gives you 1gb for $100 for 24hrs which was fine. But I would rather pay $15k to 30k for unlimited data and not have to worry about it.
    Awesome, Glad you had a great experience. I also agree that Flow needs to offer unlimited data for both prepaid and postpaid or larger data allotments. It's crazy to think that Flow has deployed 3CA carrier aggregation in Jamaica. I'm sure this historic move is in line. With Flows ambitions to offer LTE broadband internet in rural areas. Either way, this is a great move for Jamaica going forward. I hope Digicel can offer similar Network experience.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedean0375 View Post
    This is just crazy, can't believe that 3CA aggregation is in Jamaica, and rural Jamaica at that. Didn't think this was feasible in Jamaica at all. Really happy for this, Hope this comes to Kingston and St Andrew.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedean0375 View Post
    Just came back from my vacation. I had and awesome time. I justed wanted to give my feedback on the mobile experience using Flow. The network was rock solid. I had LTE service everywhere I went on the north coast. In Ocho Rios the network is a beast. I would easily get 120mbps on speetest. I did a few Root metrics speed test which you can find on the site. While at home in towers isle's. The network would camp on band 12, even though they have band 2 and 4 running. I did notice that the network in that area was not configured for Carrier aggregation. From Ocho Rios to Port Antonio coverage was strictly band 12 which is only 5mhz. In the town of Port Antonio they have all 3 bands aggregated 5mhz band 12, 20 MHz band 2 and 20 MHz band 4. I was at Ann Marie Vaz birthday bash and with 8000 people in attendance. I was easily getting 140mhps. I did a few Root metrics test at that event. Overall I was impressed by the network. My only issue was the data allotment. The most you can get is 4.5gbs. Coming from the USA were I easily use 120gb to 150gb per month. It was a struggle saving data. The first thing I would tell anyone using the network is to turn off Google photos sync over cell network. My first $400 in credit was eaten away from. Google photos. They offer gig up which gives you 1gb for $100 for 24hrs which was fine. But I would rather pay $15k to 30k for unlimited data and not have to worry about it.
    Great to hear! They're soon adding Band 12 to the mix in Kingston and St. Andrew too. Personally, I've seen up to 250 Mbit/s down and 75 Mbit/s up thanks to the advanced Ericsson equipment in deployment in the KMA. They've also been working feverishly on rolling out LTE to as many communities as possible. I cannot wait until they've rolled out VoLTE over their network and really sent the standard of mobile telecoms across the Caribbean. Imagine that there was a day when high-speed data was a long shot in some places and 3G from LIME/FLOW especially was super rare. They're near the usual time for a new product release so I anticipate something related to higher data allotments, cross-net calling and perhaps VoLTE? (I may be wrong on that). Nonetheless, FLOW is a far cry from its beginnings in 2015, barely keeping up with 3G/'4G' and grimacing at the thought of investing in LTE.

    FLOW Jamaica is now become the largest and fastest LTE network in the entire English Speaking Caribbean.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Do you know if Flow running any LTE advance features such as 4x4mimo, 3CCA and 256QAM.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedean0375 View Post
    Do you know if Flow running any LTE advance features such as 4x4mimo, 3CCA and 256QAM.
    3CCA is active... so is 256QAM but only on certain sites in Kingston & St. Andrew. 4x4 MIMO is the next frontier. This is likely to happen after LTE the rollout is complete. Nonetheless, LTE Advanced is very much active across a great portion of the network. Now that they've added Band 12, it'll be pretty much standard fare everywhere.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Um, So anyone has any Info on Digicels LTE network. As it relates to 3CCA and speeds. I can't see how Digicel will survive if it can't compete in New Technologies and 5G going forward. I'm hearing that Digicel may use Band 3 or Band 7 to offer extra capacity. But I'm not sure of this.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Um, So anyone has any Info on Digicel's LTE network. As it relates to 3CCA and speeds. I can't see how Digicel will survive if it can't compete in New Technologies and 5G going forward. I'm hearing that Digicel may use Band 3 or Band 7 to offer extra capacity. But I'm not sure of this.
    Last I heard of them was them adding Band 4 to the mix... Digicel's intentions really seem to be metered for the time being. Additionally, they have a bad hand as it relates to capacity. Band 7 can work with their current spectrum mix. Canadian providers like Telus & Bell use it to supplement their Band 2, Band 4 and Band 13 and Band 5 holdings. If they do end up buying Band 7 spectrum, FLOW will follow too. Their voracious appetite for spectrum will invariably push them to acquire Band 7 (2600 MHz) too. Simply put, Digicel has really lost its competitive advantage.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Last I heard of them was them adding Band 4 to the mix... Digicel's intentions really seem to be metered for the time being. Additionally, they have a bad hand as it relates to capacity. Band 7 can work with their current spectrum mix. Canadian providers like Telus & Bell use it to supplement their Band 2, Band 4 and Band 13 and Band 5 holdings. If they do end up buying Band 7 spectrum, FLOW will follow too. Their voracious appetite for spectrum will invariably push them to acquire Band 7 (2600 MHz) too. Simply put, Digicel has really lost its competitive advantage.
    You serious?, Why would Flow need to purchase additional spectrum?. Don't they have enough already?, Plus it seems Digicel won't have an advantage in the LTE race going forward. I'm seeing where Digicel is going the Digital route, they will be using Turkcell Lifecell suites of Digital apps inclusive of video music streaming, digital over the top VoIP call and text app. Wonder what Flow will do in response?. I'm seeing where Flow ended it's partnership with Deezer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •