Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Network is the best Flow or Digicel

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    While Digicel might be low on funds it's not at all obvious. They loading up their network with lte users. In fact come football season they allowing u to watch play playgo or live football on ur ,phone unlimited depending on the plan u choose.

Flow is a mean mean company. Let them stay with all these speeds which no one seem to care about. It certainly ain't winning over any customer. So many offerings in the mydigicel app that I am having no intention to go back to flow....unless they offer similar offerings at cheaper rate.

Dont see why they have 100 megs speed on mobile while giving persons social media allotment of 100 megabytes or so. U stream a video it done. Right now my postpaid digicel have 41 GB roll over data so am good
    As mentioned by Khat17 Flow is a sleeping giant. If and When it decides to wake up, Digicel would be decimated. As it could not compete with Flow and Liberty Global plethora of resources. But I do agree though, Flow needs to sort out Thier issues. I do have hope for Digicel though, I believe that they can rebound.

Well, here's some minor news... FLOW's enabled carrier aggregation on a few more sites. LTE Advanced is available on the Hip Strip, MBJ Airport and right along the North Coast Highway (along the hotel strip).

Here's a test by Tracks & Records in Montego Bay

Primary Band was Band 2 but the downlink was aggregated with Band 4. LTE Advanced is being deployed on a rolling basis.

I wonder when Flow will add Carrier Aggregation in the Kingston and the corporate area?. My LTE band 4 signal drops the deeper I go into my home or buildings.

The RRUs they use for LTE Band 4 I think allow for Band 2. I'd seen some sites that had began broadcasting 4x4 MIMO which doubles the effective downlink speed to 300 Mbit/s and the upload to 75 Mbit/s. I've only ever seen it on one site though. I have however seen a few sites that were outfitted with new antennas and RRUs... were they in preparation for LTE Band 2? I'm not sure. They had begun deprecating the UMTS carrier between 1950.1 MHz and 1955.1 MHz (UARFCN 9763). That clears up space for LTE on EARFCN 801. I'm not in Kingston at the moment so I'm not able to track the developments happening there. What I am certain is that the Ericsson equipment will certainly outshine what subscribers are seeing in Montego Bay. I'm inclined to think that the next move is a depreciation of of 850 MHz GSM. FLOW had expressed interest in providing higher quality voice services but it can't be feasibly be done without low band LTE spectrum; 850 MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    The RRUs they use for LTE Band 4 I think allow for Band 2. I'd seen some sites that had began broadcasting 4x4 MIMO which doubles the effective downlink speed to 300 Mbit/s and the upload to 75 Mbit/s. I've only ever seen it on one site though. I have however seen a few sites that were outfitted with new antennas and RRUs... were they in preparation for LTE Band 2? I'm not sure. They had begun deprecating the UMTS carrier between 1950.1 MHz and 1955.1 MHz (UARFCN 9763). That clears up space for LTE on EARFCN 801. I'm not in Kingston at the moment so I'm not able to track the developments happening there. What I am certain is that the Ericsson equipment will certainly outshine what subscribers are seeing in Montego Bay. I'm inclined to think that the next move is a depreciation of of 850 MHz GSM. FLOW had expressed interest in providing higher quality voice services but it can't be feasibly be done without low band LTE spectrum; 850 MHz.
    OK so in order for better voice connection, they will be using 850Mhz?. I really wish they would offer unlimited data combo plans for prepaid like what Digicel has done in Panama and Trinidad and Tobago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    OK so in order for better voice connection, they will be using 850Mhz?. I really wish they would offer unlimited data combo plans for prepaid like what Digicel has done in Panama and Trinidad and Tobago.
    It's a toss up between 850 MHz or Band 13. Both bands have similar propogational characteristics but far more capital has to sunk into deploying Band 13 LTE vs. then simply provisioning Band 5 LTE over the equipment they already have. If they're going to make VoLTE successful, they'd have to go the route of Band 5. I think the network has adequate capacity to suffice users; using Band 5 as a VoLTE layer would make it less crowded. It would only be used for voice calls or when customers are deep in doors.

Carrier Aggregation enabled on the site at Jarrett Park. This was on low signal...

Seems as if they're going all out on LTE Advanced now. I wonder if Kingston is next...

Carrier Aggregation enabled on the site at Jarrett Park. This was on low signal...

Seems as if they're going all out on LTE Advanced now. I wonder if Kingston is next...
    I hope Kingston is next, today Since evening. I was for the first time since using flow for three years now. Switched down to 2G and was unable to use data. It came back an hour after, but it keeps fluctuating between 3G and 2G. Maybe it's unrelated and just a technical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I hope Kingston is next, today Since evening. I was for the first time since using flow for three years now. Switched down to 2G and was unable to use data. It came back an hour after, but it keeps fluctuating between 3G and 2G. Maybe it's unrelated and just a technical issue.
    Nope, whenever they take LTE offline it's usually for upgrades. I know the site you're on and they were likely making some adjustments on the LTE layer. I had that issue Saturday through to Sunday; Data dropped from LTE straight to EDGE. I could only use 3G sustainably (which has become the main voice layer on this side of island; unusable for data). This only persisted on one site... Luckily my area has some serious Band 2 overlay so it sufficed. As of me writing this, the site is almost back to normal function. It is one of the few in MoBay that hasn't Band 2 LTE or any of the LTE Advanced bells & whistles so I'll be keeping a watchful eye and see what happens.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jun 25, 2018 at 12:19 AM.

Nope, whenever they take LTE offline it's usually for upgrades. I know the site you're on and they were likely making some adjustments on the LTE layer. I had that issue Saturday through to Sunday; Data dropped from LTE straight to EDGE. I could only use 3G sustainably (which has become the main voice layer on this side of island; unusable for data). This only persisted on one site... Luckily my area has some serious Band 2 overlay so it sufficed. As of me writing this, the site is almost back to normal function. It is one of the few in MoBay that hasn't Band 2 LTE or any of the LTE Advanced bells & whistles so I'll be keeping a watchful eye and see what happens.
    The adjustments probably will include Carrier Aggregation and improved voice sometime in the very near future?. Also do you know if they have any plans to adjust Thier Flow LYF data plans for larger allotments and streaming?.