Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Flow evo bundles

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    Not a clue, but very likely.

All I know is when this new submarine cable goes into operation by 2020 Jamaica will be connected to both ends of a redundant undersea fiber optic cable that can carry a maximum 160 Tbps of traffic, 320 Tbps using both ends. If you use the current data available on C&W network capacity to Jamaica here you get a total of 16 Tbps, that is a magnitude of 20 times. And from what I'm hearing the bandwidth cost on this network will be cheaper than it cost Flow to operate its undersea network. So something will happen. I think we will see massive effects for the better else Deep blue cable is wasting its time

To put things into perspective the fastest undersea cable in operation now is a joint effort between Microsoft and Facebook that connects the USA to Europe and its current operting capacity is 160 Tbps
    I hope so too. I remember reading on the Deep Blue website. That Thier service will free Caribbean operators from heavy cost from the dominant owner of subsea cables (Flow). So that operators can maximize profits and provide faster speeds and efficient service. So this can only be great for Jamaican users and content creators alike.

Deep Blue will actually be the main beneficiary here as normally companies have redundancy arrangements. So will have redundant links on Deep Blue and Digicel will still have redundant links on Flow Fiber.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Deep Blue will actually be the main beneficiary here as normally companies have redundancy arrangements. So will have redundant links on Deep Blue and Digicel will still have redundant links on Flow Fiber.
    Moreover, I think C&W Networks is trying increase their lit capacity too... Deep Blue will certainly positively affect the region but sole dependence on its capacity is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the "Mercury Modem" or "Connect Box" is a DOCSIS 3.0 device. Unless they have others in the field that are 3.1 that I'm unaware of.
    These boxes serve Liberty Global's operations in the UK (Virgin Media), Netherlands (VodafoneZiggo) and UPC in the rest of Europe. They are indeed DOCSIS 3.0 (and EuroDOCSIS 3.0)... For specifications, see UPC Switzerland's Manual (in English) here.

If you'd like to know how much these boxes are capable of, Virgin Media's top end package has a download speed of 362 Mbit/s and an upload of 21 Mbit/s.

Also, in continuation of the rollout of connect boxes to customers, FLOW will be releasing a version of the Liberty Global Connect App which should be out sometime this year. For more information, see here.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jul 9, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Moreover, I think C&W Networks is trying increase their lit capacity too... Deep Blue will certainly positively affect the region but sole dependence on its capacity is a recipe for disaster.
    No one wants a monopoly on bandwidth which we currently have now so I hope not.

Yes C&W is actively increasing the carrying capacity of its undersea cable, last I heard Fribralink will triple its capacity from 2.4 Tbps to 7.2 Tbps. Maybe it has already happened but C&W has not yet updated its map. Their East West Cable (EWC) that connects to BVI and links to their PCCS is due for an upgrade as well. So FLow won't be dependent on deep blue. What I'm more interested in is the competition it will drive between the providers that will benfit us customers.

These boxes serve Liberty Global's operations in the UK (Virgin Media), Netherlands (VodafoneZiggo) and UPC in the rest of Europe. They are indeed DOCSIS 3.0 (and EuroDOCSIS 3.0)... For specifications, see UPC Switzerland's Manual (in English) here.

If you'd like to know how much these boxes are capable of, Virgin Media's top end package has a download speed of 362 Mbit/s and an upload of 21 Mbit/s.

Also, in continuation of the rollout of connect boxes to customers, FLOW will be releasing a version of the Liberty Global Connect App which should be out sometime this year. For more information, see here.
    If they want to compete with Digicel's fix line broadband speeds especially in the uploads department they will need to upgrade all those CMTS (grey boxes that look like this on the poles to the latest DOCSIS specification), and later the modems to DOCSIS 3.1 FDX. I suspect when Digicel gets access too deep blue cable they will offer better speeds and cheaper prices to comepete for customers. Flow's current equipment will not be able to compete with FTTH.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru View Post
    If they want to compete with Digicel's fix line broadband speeds especially in the uploads department they will need to upgrade all those CMTS (grey boxes that look like this on the poles to the latest DOCSIS specification), and later the modems to DOCSIS 3.1 FDX. I suspect when Digicel gets access too deep blue cable they will offer better speeds and cheaper prices to comepete for customers. Flow's current equipment will not be able to compete with FTTH.
    I do think they've already made the steps to go up to DOCSIS 3.1... What I do think is more critical is getting better shielding and other interference protection to safeguard the quality of service on offer. They are pushing further and further with fibre and so I do expect to see some more upgrades vis-Ã*-vis HFC in the horizon. DOCSIS 3.1 won't be until 2020 imo...

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Are these the new white Modems?, if so. Does it have the 5Ghz Wifi band in it?, I was told by an agent that it doesn't have the 5Ghz WiFi band included. Knowing that Flows Tech Agents are clueless a lot of the time, I doubted what the agent said. So just asking to confirm.
    They are clueless most of the time. Id say a good 75% of them have no clue whats going on. I called customer care about 10 times this weekend. Only got any sort of proper communication from 2 of the agents. The other 8 were either rude or lacking basic knowledge of the things they are providing support for.
    Previous Devices -> SE P1i , Nokia E75, Blackberry 9900 OS 7.1, HTC One

Current Device -> LG G6

Quote Originally Posted by PrenticeX View Post
    They are clueless most of the time. Id say a good 75% of them have no clue whats going on. I called customer care about 10 times this weekend. Only got any sort of proper communication from 2 of the agents. The other 8 were either rude or lacking basic knowledge of the things they are providing support for.
    Yes that is true. Some of the agents are very rude and have an attitude when it comes to dealing and resolving customer complaints and issues. I often wonder if these workers have any Supervisor. I do note that when you ask to speak to a supervisor during a call. The agent indicates that no supervisor is currently available, and they will call you back when they are available. As we all know, that call never comes. So Im guessing these people supervise themselves, or the supervisors are the same as the agents. Either way Flow has no Customer Service most of the time.

I do think they've already made the steps to go up to DOCSIS 3.1... What I do think is more critical is getting better shielding and other interference protection to safeguard the quality of service on offer. They are pushing further and further with fibre and so I do expect to see some more upgrades vis-Ã*-vis HFC in the horizon. DOCSIS 3.1 won't be until 2020 imo...
    You seem to forget that they also need to place some adamantium stakes around each light post to prevent the nice people from braking the poles the cables/equipment are mounted on.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".