Thread: Amazon orders US or JMD

Default Amazon orders US or JMD

Recently changed my expired debit card (JMD dollars) and realize Amazon no longer offering the option to select currency (USD or JMD )at checkout. Need to know is it cheaper to select JMD, no longer seeing the conversion at check out to see the better option.

I still see pay in JMD option... and it's better you pay in US... Amazon conversion rate is USD $1 = JMD $134
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Recently changed my expired debit card (JMD dollars) and realize Amazon no longer offering the option to select currency (USD or JMD )at checkout. Need to know is it cheaper to select JMD, no longer seeing the conversion at check out to see the better option.

For Amazon - USD is the way to go

Always use USD for any online website or even if you using your card overseas.

The card issuer or local bank always give you a better rate than where you buying from.

The option still exist to change your card currency but think its when you go to manage your cards you can select which currency it uses.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Great, thanks for all the feedback. I had dem remove the card, I will try setting it up back again. Thanks for the confirmation re ordering in USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Always use USD for any online website or even if you using your card overseas.

The card issuer or local bank always give you a better rate than where you buying from.
    In my experience that is not always the case, it depends on the cards issuing currency and the card branding (VISA MasterCard, AMEX, Discover and others). I have been to places where it was cheaper to let the merchant do the conversion for me than my bank. Note this may not always be the case, but for larger purchases/payments you may want to check it out before paying.

Example 1 -
    Card network: VISA
    Card Currency: USD

I make a purchase today in JMD the conversion rate is 126.27. If I go to Bill Expresses website, they allow me to pay in JMD or USD. Their conversion rate is $1USD to $126.30. So If I pay JMD$10,000 worth of bills I would pay:
    USD $79.20 if I let VISA/Bank do the conversion.
    JMD $79.18 if I let Bill Express bill me directly in USD.

Example 2 -
    Card network: MasterCard

I make a purchase today in JMD the conversion rate is 127.44. If I go to Bill Expresses website, they allow me to pay in JMD or USD. Their conversion rate is $1USD to $126.30. So If I pay JMD$10000 worth of bills I would pay:
    USD $78.47 if I let VISA/Bank do the conversion.
    USD $79.18 if I let Bill Express bill me directly in USD.

Keep in mind:

1.That the Card Networks set the currency rate for that your card uses, not the bank/issuer. Though a bank/issuer has the ability to ignore that.
    2. That even letting your bank do the conversion can work against you for two reasons:
    • Exchange rate rounding.
    • When your transactions settled/posted.
    • Your bank changes are currency conversion fee (aka foreign transaction fee) - this can be avoid by using cards that have no foreign transaction fees.

So Your final bill may be higher than you thought.

The rates the card networks set are changed once a day.

On the flip side -

VISA USD to JMD = 126.35/USD
    MasterCard USD to JMD = 127.44/USD

Visa Calculator: https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html
    MasterCard: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-currency.html
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Mar 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Everyone else answered already. The rate is MUCH cheaper using USD. Don't do business online in JMD.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I still see pay in JMD option... and it's better you pay in US... Amazon conversion rate is USD $1 = JMD $134
    Don't know when this was. From my experience Amazon seems to always be about JMD$10 more than the local BNS bank rate.

Had some screenshots where I could show when I made orders in JMD and in USD. Will post if I can find. IF.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    In my experience that is not always the case, it depends on the cards issuing currency and the card branding (VISA MasterCard, AMEX, Discover and others). I have been to places where it was cheaper to let the merchant do the conversion for me than my bank. Note this may not always be the case, but for larger purchases/payments you may want to check it out before paying.

Example 1 -
    Card network: VISA

I make a purchase today in JMD the conversion rate is 126.27. If I go to Bill Expresses website, they allow me to pay in JMD or USD. Their conversion rate is $1USD to $126.30. So If I pay JMD$10,000 worth of bills I would pay:
    USD $79.20 if I let VISA/Bank do the conversion.
    JMD $79.18 if I let Bill Express bill me directly in USD.

Example 2 -
    Card network: MasterCard

I make a purchase today in JMD the conversion rate is 127.44. If I go to Bill Expresses website, they allow me to pay in JMD or USD. Their conversion rate is $1USD to $126.30. So If I pay JMD$10000 worth of bills I would pay:
    USD $78.47 if I let VISA/Bank do the conversion.
    USD $79.18 if I let Bill Express bill me directly in USD.

Keep in mind:

1.That the Card Networks set the currency rate for that your card uses, not the bank/issuer. Though a bank/issuer has the ability to ignore that.
    2. That even letting your bank do the conversion can work against you for two reasons:
    • Exchange rate rounding.
    • When your transactions settled/posted.
    • Your bank changes are currency conversion fee (aka foreign transaction fee) - this can be avoid by using cards that have no foreign transaction fees.

So Your final bill may be higher than you thought.

The rates the card networks set are changed once a day.

On the flip side -

VISA USD to JMD = 126.35/USD
    MasterCard USD to JMD = 127.44/USD

Visa Calculator: https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html
    MasterCard: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-currency.html
    Interesting. I've never used my card on a local Website Always US that has their prices in US dollars

And only use visa cards.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well said GPRS, for years I have been telling people that its better to pay in USD as Amazon's intermediary banks always sell at US$1 = JA$134 literally.

But they always be like checking out is JMD is better. But what they fail to realize is they Amazon vendors only accept USD so they will always have to 'purchase' USD at that rate to make the purchase.