Thread: Trying to set up a vpn

Default Trying to set up a vpn

I created a virtual machine with windows server 2012 installed and set up a domain on it then set up a vpn and opened the routing and remote access port on its firewall (I went as far as to turn off the firewall to see whether I missed anything). I tried port forwarding from my router which is running pfsense and tested the port using one of those websites and it says the port (1723) is open.

When I try connecting to the vpn from my machine which is hosting the virtual server it works if i'm using the internal ip address but when I try using the external ip which I configured the port forwarding for it doesn't work. I get an error saying "The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly."

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Cloud; Jan 22, 2018 at 10:52 AM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Cloud Solutions. All rights reserved.

Try this for your VPN. See if it works out for you. Tested it and it works pretty nicely, but the bandwidth requirement is................

https://www.softether.org
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Respect, was planning to try openvpn but will consider this. Thing is I'm really trying to figure out how to get this to work as is without using a different client.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    When I try connecting to the vpn from my machine which is hosting the virtual server it works if i'm using the internal ip address but when I try using the external ip which I configured the port forwarding for it doesn't work.
    This could be because you do not have a public IP.

Respect, was planning to try openvpn but will consider this. Thing is I'm really trying to figure out how to get this to work as is without using a different client.
    The solution I gave should work even if you don't have a public IP. If you really want to use the built-in stuff then request one from FLOW and see if you can get through.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Actually I was trying it using a public IP but things just got hectic at work so i'm putting this off indefinitely. Thanks for the response as usual tho

Actually I was trying it using a public IP but things just got hectic at work so i'm putting this off indefinitely. Thanks for the response as usual tho
    OK - but when you're ready to take it back up don't hesitate to get in touch with us. As long as you're sure you had a public IP from the ISP then the setup sounds like something is blocking it though. You could have tried to place the server on a DMZ temporarily to see if it would work.