Thread: Check This List to See If You’re Still Vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre

Default Check This List to See If You’re Still Vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre

If you haven't heard about these vulnerabilities in the Intel chips that have been manufactured in the past 10 years, then you need to read up.

Following article will update you on how far reaching these recent vulnerabilities are and how to go about patching it.
    This affects your Operating Systems (Windows, including servers, Linux and Mac OS), your browser (Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) your anti-virus (list too long to name, but all major AV's) and your devices (PC's, Mac's, cell phone, tablets).

Read following article for more details:
    Security researchers revealed disastrous flaws in processors manufactured by Intel and other companies this week. The vulnerabilities, which were discovered by Google’s Project Zero and nicknamed Meltdown and Spectre, can cause data to leak from kernel memory—which is really not ideal since the kernel is central to operating systems and handles a bunch of sensitive processes.
    Read more: https://gizmodo.com/check-this-list-...-me-1821780843
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Thanks for this. I wonder if any routers, Mobile devices using Intel's CPUs are affected?
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Thanks for this. I wonder if any routers, Mobile devices using Intel's CPUs are affected?
    If the router uses an Intel chip within the past 5 years, it would be affected. Look out for any updates from the router manufacturer.

Mobile devices are affected if they running Android, or Apple OS with any of the popular browsers. Haven't heard if Microsoft releasing any updates for their Windows phone.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    If the router uses an Intel chip within the past 5 years, it would be affected. Look out for any updates from the router manufacturer.

Mobile devices are affected if they running Android, or Apple OS with any of the popular browsers. Haven't heard if Microsoft releasing any updates for their Windows phone.
    As usual, Android fragmentation will prevent most devices after 1.5 years to not get this update.
    Mobile Carriers and some manufacturers just don't care about customer security.

Anyone get the feeling that this was a NSA hack?
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

pretty interesting - i've always thought about this, when some browsers prefetch stuff

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-t...235122673.html
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post

Ok. I think the Meltdown only affects x86 in Intel CPUs but intel has some ARM and probably also X86 processors in Routers and the like so that is why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post

Anyone get the feeling that this was a NSA hack?
    Quite Possible. Intel have had some additional function in their CPUs that I did not like and I think recently manufactures like Dell and HP recently disabled it due to security concerns. I thought that's why the Intel Guy sold his stock but now we know different.

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    pretty interesting - i've always thought about this, when some browsers prefetch stuff

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-t...235122673.html
    I have my concerns as well. Especially with Neural learning and so forth in phones, additional functions are encroaching on our privacy more and more either by design or accident.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

this vulnerability affects over billion users world wide, even tho there are no permanent fix for it, well if you willing to replace the hardware cause software alone won't fix this, honestly am please to see all the tech Giant pushing out patches/fixes so quickly ...

tbh, i wouldn't be surprised NSA was behind this magnitude of discovery but they are not ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

My PC is like 15 years old. Uses a celeron single core chip. lol

lol!!! then you are probably safe ... well, at least for the time being ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

Here is some more technical information on the exploit.