Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Rainwater Affects Cat5e ?

Question Does Rainwater Affects Cat5e ?

Hello,

Networking Guru's lend me your strength and knowledge, So i created a custom POE, something looking like this >---< for my modem sake, it doesn't support the official POE standard, so i got creative ... so its being awhile and everything is working fine speeds was okay, very hardly/rarely any buffering especially when using Kodi ... but as of lately, my speeds have become hardly usable and my speeds hardly hit over 1 MBps ... so i did some troubleshooting and found out that rainwater was in my Cat5e cable ... ( the only way water could get in is from split at the end of the cable)

i have done alot of research on it, but i can't find a valuable source that says water/rainwater indeed affects the cable ...

Your feedback is greatly appreciated ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

Water is a conductor so when networking cable/wires, especially in a PoE setup, is exposed to moisture you can expect shorting of sorts. I'm guessing that you either crimped the cable ends yourself or used cable with "cheaper" ends. Try using cable with good booted ends and that'll reduce moisture getting in the cable casing.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

The wires are not expose (each individual copper wire is covered by its original coverying and all the wires are covered by the original coverying) so none is expose ... the only part that i suspected is the near to the end of the wire about 9 inches to the end, that i had to split into 2 sets, 1 set for power and the other for Data ... even though i wrapped where i strip the wire with (Electrical tape firmly) but water is running through the outside covering ... which led me to believe this could be affecting the wire ... (Digicel Modem - DX250) Outside up in a tall tree (Waterproof of course)

as i said in the official post, i have this setup for a while, am talking like couple months well, almost a year and i wasn't experiencing any of these problems, there's a strong possibility that my ISP Tower could be the culprit too because its a Wimax connection and in my area there about 5 towers supporting over 300+ people where i am from, and there internet speed overall isn't that great too most of the time ...

The thing is i don't wanna change my cable, when in fact the problem is from my ISP end ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

The problem might be on digicels side and it it is then don't expect it to get any better because they are no longer doing any maintenance work on the wimax network. If the signal goes out in your area then thats it, just start looking for alternatives.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Part of your issue with the cable is that you're using regular cable instead of outdoor cable. Some of these so-called outdoor cables are not "outdoor" per-se. You would need one of the gel filled outdoor cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-...t6+outdoor+gel

Something like that would do what you need. If you're not using that then water will cause problems. Then you're probably using UTP instead of STP.

https://customcable.ca/stp-vs-utp-ca...on-comparison/

While the water in the cable may not affect the voltage going to the device, you may get excessive crosstalk as a result. You should also ensure that you're not going beyond the maximum cable length for the type of cable you're using to prevent attenuation. 100 meters is the standard max length.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Also see below for more details. Basically - if the cable didn't get water INSIDE then it should be fine. From what you said there was water INSIDE. You may have speed issues, packet loss, latency issues and EMI as a result of using PoE on that cable. CAT6 is better - even as UTP - because it literally separates each wire pair going through the cable.

Effect on Electrical Performance The ingress of water into the data cabling system can have a serious affect on its ability to support high bit rate data applications like Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet. In some cases, cables that are already near the link length limit (and therefore the attenuation budget) for the standard may fail after flooding. This is because when the cable gets wet, its dielectric performance is changed, which affects impedance and the related parameters of attenuation and return loss.
    https://serverfault.com/questions/99...tic-cat5-cable

Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by khat17; Dec 31, 2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

i have do some test over the weekend an have now confirm, what the source of the problem ... it is was just as you said it was indeed my from my ISP end ... my first test was late in the night, when i most users would be sleeping and did my speed test and my speeds was awesome ( over 6 MBps) did it couple times and the the test was stable it was between 6 - 7 MBps ...

And i have being hearing some stuff about digicel no longer working on Wimax, i really hope that's not the case in my area (Rural), i could understand for the places doesn't need, if they have the cable running through district ...

thanks for your feedback bro, i appreciate it ...

I forgot to link to this info in regards to the Digicel modems.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...een-killed-off

There's a thread for that. They are discontinuing the WiMax service so..........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

What ? like seriously ? i could understand that for the people who have able to get line connection but what about the people from the rural areas that's where most of there users are from ... well, i hope if they gonna discontinued it they will implement something at least better ... #Hopefully

They are pushing Digicel Play - but the dumb part is they're doing so before it's available everywhere.

same thing me a say to, it makes no sense ...