Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digicel green packet modem has been killed off

Default Digicel green packet modem has been killed off

Hey all , Greetings.

Up until last week my modem was working fine (is the green packet digicel modem black colour ) then all of a sudden it lost connectivity and no lights were displaying . Monday morning I took it into my local digicel store and as predicted they had no idea and were more interested in there breakfast . So I took it to the computer shops and they tried a new adapter without success.

Having got back home I called digicel direct and spoke to a wonderful lady who informed me the said modem has been switched off by digicel and there's nothing I can do , I was a bit vexed at this news and asked if I can upgrade to a newer modem and was told Digicel is not selling anymore modems .
    Being in negril I'm unable to get flow as all the internet slots are taken ( it's been over a year since my first enquiry yet still no slots available) .

I'm now without internet and have run out of options on where to get wifi modem .

Question: will a modem from the UK work in Jamaica to pick up the digicel signal or has anyone got or know of anyone selling a modem .

Thanks

They are closing off that service. If you can get a signal where you live, then kudos to you. If you can't, then the service is no longer available in your area.
    Have you considered their Huawei Wingle modem? https://www.digicelgroup.com/jm/en/m...ei-wingle.html

I have never used it but looks like it's what they are selling.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Being in negril I'm unable to get flow as all the internet slots are taken ( it's been over a year since my first enquiry yet still no slots available).
    I'm in Hopewell and they've been telling me that same siht for 12 years. To remedy the situation, while I had the Digicel Wimax modem, I joined an online live chat with Gary Sinclair and called out him and his company on this. They took my info and had a tech contact me, then suddenly a port became available 3 days after.

Pressure dem my yute!

It rough living in rural Jamaica.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Greeting to you sir,

Well first off am sorry to hear that and that's how digicel is ... (Short story) am from St.Ann, which you may know is a rural area ... so to get the best signal from Wimax (Ocho Rios is the place) but i live a few minutes away from ochi with that said, when i was getting my modem (DX250) they didn't they didn't want to sell me it because of my location, so i went to few branches they all turn me down (dispicable lies) so i went to another branch furious and demanded one ... i got through and took it home ... even though i had to make some mods to get to make it perform at its best ...

I believe the signal is not really a problem, long as the modem is Wimax base or its a digicel modem you should be just fine ... but first you could try source it out here at another branch/locations if thats not a problem for you or if getting one from the UK is way easier go for it ...

since flow line is always full, try getting a link with one of the technicians, you have to be patient and consistent ...

there are other ISP's like Dekal, Caricel and other local or low profile internet providers ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

Thanks for the replies .

I'll buy a huawei wingle but problem is negril digicel has none and the three digicel stores in sav haven't had any for a couple of months .

The digicel wifi signal is still working where I live just that the box I was using has been switched off .
    Anyone selling a digicel modem ??

Thanks for the advice regard flow I'll be sure to pester them .

Now my thinking is this ,my nephew is coming to Jamaica from the uk soon and if I shall tell him to bring a modem for me from there .
    Will I be able to plug it in and see the digicel self care page and top up monthly and use as I was doing previously?

a next thought is to purchase the huaweii wingle unlocked open to all networks and put in a digicel SIM card and use , will this be able to work ? as my phone is from UK and works fine

There easily available over there and as I can't find one will these do the job .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292153253632

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391946465747

Thanks

I also have the Digicel Wimax modem (greenpocket DX-250), honestly I hardly use it, bought it just for backup purposes only, but would hate for the service/modem to be shut down. So whats the full story on this, are they ending service on the greenpocket modem, shutting down the service just in certain areas or the entire island? Also what's the shutdown timeline and at what point they intend to publicly inform customers?

I have one of the original cpe modems and my sister has one of the green packet modems and they haven't been able to connect to the wimax network after a thunder storm for a few months now. My sister contacted digicel because it was her main source of Internet and they told her they are focusing on their digiplay service and will no longer be doing any maintenance on the wimax network.
    She activated a 30 day plan on it and only got 3 days of service and digicel did not ever give her back the credit.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Dr. dre's story is similar. We had the modem using at work. We were getting 2-3 bars signal strength from it, most times 3 times.
    Then 1 day they were doing maintenance in the area and the signal went down to 1 bar, barely connecting.
    We called them, they said there are no issues in the area. We sent the modem to them to check it out. They tested it, I guess reset it and gave it back to us to try it again. Same issue. No strong signal. They came to our location to test it themselves but said they are not doing anymore work on the wimax and offered us their digicel play package for business instead. Which we took.

So yeah, they are leaving it on. If you can connect then kudos to you, continue using the service.
    If for any reason you can't, then look for alternatives. As they said, they aren't going to work on fixing the signal if you no longer receiving it.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by terry5 View Post
    Hey all , Greetings.

Up until last week my modem was working fine (is the green packet digicel modem black colour ) then all of a sudden it lost connectivity and no lights were displaying . Monday morning I took it into my local digicel store and as predicted they had no idea and were more interested in there breakfast . So I took it to the computer shops and they tried a new adapter without success.

Having got back home I called digicel direct and spoke to a wonderful lady who informed me the said modem has been switched off by digicel and there's nothing I can do , I was a bit vexed at this news and asked if I can upgrade to a newer modem and was told Digicel is not selling anymore modems .
    Being in negril I'm unable to get flow as all the internet slots are taken ( it's been over a year since my first enquiry yet still no slots available) .

I'm now without internet and have run out of options on where to get wifi modem .

Question: will a modem from the UK work in Jamaica to pick up the digicel signal or has anyone got or know of anyone selling a modem .

Thanks
    so without knowing about this thread i plugged up my modems the wifi one and the dx250 - no signal all night - normally would have been full bars here in anchovy....

smh

As for the wingle - it is not unlimited, its the same as tethering ur smartphone
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

My black digicel green packet modems been shut off as in there is no light showing not even one . They've locked it off ,
    A lady in my area has also had the same modem locked off .
    The other white pyramid shaped modems are working fine in my area .
    Digicels advice is to find a used modem to buy if I'm able lol
    If I can find one I would but I can not .

Dekal has no signal in my area
    Islandnet does but it's nearly 8000J a month tied to a 12 month contract
    I don't know any other providers ?

The wingle is an option but I can't find the internet packages it offers .

Do you think if I get a WiMAX modem from overseas US it will be able to pick up the digicel signal ?

Thanks for all your answers