Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digicel green packet modem has been killed off

Quote Originally Posted by terry5 View Post

The wingle is an option but I can't find the internet packages it offers . - already answered this - its mobile 4G data same plans that the mobile phone have

Do you think if I get a WiMAX modem from overseas US it will be able to pick up the digicel signal ? doubt that

*both my wifi and dx 250 are not getting any signal which means for my area the antennae is turned off - luckily some modems still work in yours,

check shopinja.com and sign up/post about the modem that still works - you may just find a seller if you search as well
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    *both my wifi and dx 250 are not getting any signal which means for my area the antennae is turned off - luckily some modems still work in yours,

check shopinja.com and sign up/post about the modem that still works - you may just find a seller if you search as well
    I suspect they gonna go the LTE home route

FLOW already has their unlimited data for that purpose. Digicel was rather underhanded in removing the WiMax (or not maintaining it). Unfortunately - the people on the ground didn't know. But is not a recent thing. Good while now. Persons that had full bars of signal in the past suddenly lose most if not all signal. I honestly wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that the Digicel Play service isn't available everywhere......
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post

Thanks .

For the meantime I'm thinking of getting this

Huawei b315

http://consumer.huawei.com/uk/smart-home/b315/

and getting a digicel SIM card and Data plan .

Seems a nice sim modem reading the reviews .
    Any reason it may not work in Jamaica?

Would hate to loose Wimax as my backup, the other prepaid options like using the Huawei Wingle are not cost effective, the only prospect is Dekal Wireless but unfortunately I stop getting a stable signal from them for like 3 years now.
    Any word on what Flow will be doing with Dekal Wireless? base on the complaints on their facebook account it look like they locking shop too.

That's exactly what am saying too, am like:- alright fine technology is advancing etc ... and i love to see that too but wait until the new technology you want implement covered a great percentage of the country nuh ? then weed out the old technology ... its simple as that ...

Dekal on the order hand a move shakie bad, when it was first introduce it was fairly fast, even couple years after it was still reliable but now, i just don't know anymore ?

i hope to see caricel expand there thing ...
    HP 450 G4 - i5 (7th Gen) 3.1Ghz | 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 500GB HD + 256GB M.2 NVMe | Intel HD 620 | Asus RT-N66U (Merlin) Custom Firmware | 6TB HDD (Total) | JBL Pro Desktop Speakers | Skullcandy Indy Earbuds...

After doing some research Digicel 4G uses LTE band 700 so this is the modem I'm about to purchase but having spoke to Digicel, I've been informed that Negril does not have LTE .

So theoretically I can use any LTE unlocked modem with my digicel SIM card as I'm only be using 4G /3G signal ? Is this info correct ??

Next question:
    The modem I was using prior to it being turned off was the old black green packet , the pyramid shaped modem is still working and receiving signal in Negril so can I purchase a WiMAX modem from foreign to use as I was the old modem before they locked it off ??

Thanx in advance as I'm stuck

After doing some research Digicel 4G uses LTE band 700 so this is the modem I'm about to purchase but having spoke to Digicel, I've been informed that Negril does not have LTE .

So theoretically I can use any LTE unlocked modem with my digicel SIM card as I'm only be using 4G /3G signal ? Is this info correct ??

Next question:
    The modem I was using prior to it being turned off was the old black green packet , the pyramid shaped modem is still working and receiving signal in Negril so can I purchase a WiMAX modem from foreign to use as I was the old modem before they locked it off ??

Thanx in advance as I'm stuck
    Your assertion is correct... LTE Modems are backwards compatible. Digicel should reach that side with LTE sometime this year... I presume maybe Summer or Year End (same for the competition)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Your assertion is correct... LTE Modems are backwards compatible. Digicel should reach that side with LTE sometime this year... I presume maybe Summer or Year End (same for the competition)
    Thanks

Okay im now using a huawei b310 unlocked modem with a digicel SIM card . Surprised at the speed of it 150mbs download .
    Does everything,can even hook up an old land line phone to receive and make calls .

Now just need and hope flow or digicel release unlimited data plan or a better package

Anyone can tell me if caricel are islandwide and available in negril ?

Also is the flow data plan equal or better than digicels offering ? As there slightly cheaper .

Many thanks for all the help I owe you all a drink .

terry

Thanks

Okay im now using a huawei b310 unlocked modem with a digicel SIM card . Surprised at the speed of it 150mbs download .
    Does everything,can even hook up an old land line phone to receive and make calls .

Now just need and hope flow or digicel release unlimited data plan or a better package

Anyone can tell me if caricel are islandwide and available in negril ?

Also is the flow data plan equal or better than digicels offering ? As there slightly cheaper .

Many thanks for all the help I owe you all a drink .

terry
    Flow does offer a unlimited data plan, its called Flow Platinum https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/mobi...-flow-platinum

https://discoverflow.co/jamaica/mobile/postpaid-plans

I have no idea if Caricel is even still in business. But the last time I checked, they don't have service in Negril or even ST Ann. They should be expanding I think.