Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Specialized Learning vs General Learning

Yeah it's exactly what the German are doing. Kids who have potential to be an engineer, economists, doctor etc, they let them go to university, for kids who don't, they can choose to do a apparentice after highschool.

This is a system I agree with. If you identify an area that someone shows interest - or the */tell you/* that they are interested - help them focus on it. The problem with our education system is it's a survival of the fittest. Take a monkey, cat, dog, elephant and crocodile and say their final test is to climb a tree. It's not about learning - it's about forced matriculation based on a standard set of tests. Anyways - off on a tangent.

As for finding persons to learn Quantum Physics and General Relativity from - I don't know if you going find as much as 10 out here. That's extremely specific. You may find a few, but not 10. Just like I know one person that has a masters in geography. All good and well, but not a marketable skill out here.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I forgot that I wrote something on this topic last month; http://owensoft.net/v4/item/2461/