Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digicel Doubled Your Speed For Free

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I have base Flow internet (20Mbps) and as I've mentioned I have been getting 40+ Mbps ... If I test in the early am hours I get like 49-53Mbps...

I just did the tests below...

Awesome, I guess Flow is on the move as it reguards their Network upgrades. As time goes by, Flow will upgrade the speeds of their base package. As well as their other broadband packages. Was this test done in Montego Bay?.

Yes.... Mobay...........

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post
    I wonder how long we will have that kind of speed for cause last year they gave us for a month and i got bumped to 100/50 for the last week and I'm on the 25/5mb package. Hopefully i don't see any changes to my bill lol.
    Well i was bumped up to 200 megs down and 100megs up.....pity i cant even use so much wirelessly on laptops etc.smh

I'm in Kingston with Flow and 30/3 is what I've been getting also but that is still way slower than Digicel with 50/25. Don't really care much about cable, how reliable is Digicel's internet service though ? With those speeds I might just switch.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I have base Flow internet (20Mbps) and as I've mentioned I have been getting 40+ Mbps ... If I test in the early am hours I get like 49-53Mbps...

I just did the tests below...

That's pretty good... I think FLOW's HFC offering is becoming more and more attractive... looking more aligned with FLOW Trinidad's offerings... FLOW Ultra in T&T does about 60 Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up over HFC but it still pales in comparison the FLOW Ultra in Barbados which does 175Mbit/s down and 50Mbit/s up over FTTH. It is important to note that FLOW Trinidad has deployed (or recently moved to) DOCSIS 3.1... As such, they've been able to offer Gigabit residential internet (albeit for like 38k JMD a month) but also means they've been able to increase their upload speeds dramatically... to the point where they've been able to compete with Digicel's fibre offerings.. quite adequately. They offer pretty much the same speed tiers and do so at the almost the same prices (give and take a few TTD). I anticipate this happening here as well... given GPRS Internet's screenshots and given that FLOW's been quietly trialing & migrating some communites from HFC to FTTH in the Kingston metro area, it'll be a tough network to beat.. the reach of HFC + VDSL and the potency of FTTH. I expect some serious competition in home broadband, one that will probably force Digicel to expand into more urban areas especially in MoBay, Ocho Rios and Mandeville.

P.S. Did I mention the serious cost efficiency of HFC vs. FTTH? FLOW can essentially run on razor thin margins just so they can hold onto existing customers while Digicel spends loads on FTTH deployment. DOCSIS 3.1 uses some pretty advanced modulation schemes, a plethora of innumerable techniques and changes (mostly in the PHY/Physical layer) that help to keep HFC in pace with modern broadband needs. Fibre really shines in cases like symmetric Gigabit offerings but in a market like Jamaica where the number of residential customers requiring such is numbered in the hundreds, it loses to HFC, which I fear. Also, C&W Business runs fibre to the business already, which makes it even harder for Digicel to penetrate the market. Upgrading the speeds is good, but the relative cost per GB is however skewed in favor of C&W w/ their network's lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership), it's slightly worrisome. All in all, Digicel has brand power, an asset FLOW had but is now irreparably tarnishing with severe network congestion by delaying the move from DOCSIS 3.0 as well as issues with overground fibre routes going offline because of road incidents, fire etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Well i was bumped up to 200 megs down and 100megs up.....pity i cant even use so much wirelessly on laptops etc.smh
    200 Mbit/s would be easily served by a 802.11n router capable of a higher MCS Index of 15. Most preferably, 802.11ac would do the trick but, it's still a rariety.. even in the US where I only found it at random on a GoGo Wireless Hotspot at Logan Airport, in Boston.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Aug 26, 2017 at 02:41 AM.

Most recent speed test... Flow/Mobay

---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Any confirmation as to whether the speed increase from Digi is permanent?
    As for Flow I am still getting at around 25 megs down.

Why is the up speed still crap?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Any confirmation as to whether the speed increase from Digi is permanent?
    It's permanent.............