Thread: Digicel tests 4K TV Using Huawei

Default Digicel tests 4K TV Using Huawei

Telecommunications provider Digicel Jamaica wants local providers to broadcast in 4K ultra high definition resolution as it considers launching the technology over its cable network.

4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a horizontal resolution in the order of 4,000 pixels and essentially delivers cinema quality video for home television.

On Tuesday, Digicel invited patrons to view its testing of 4K television utilising Huawei as a technology partner. Huawei indicated that Jamaica was the first in the region to conduct such tests.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/b...v-using-huawei
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    4K TV can work over almost any big Jamaican cable company's network... especially FTTH and HFC if they use HEVC/H.265 for video transmission. If they do go forward with 4K TV over Digicel Play, which channels other than their own would be in 4K? Doesn't both Digicel and FLOW use H.264/MPEG-4 for HD Video over their networks now? Why drive up costs even more by transmitting one or two channels in 4K? I can't name a single telco in the Americas transmitting content over IPTV in 4K. Their data network is sufficient enough to allow customers to stream 4K content at their leisure... Leave 4K TV alone and let's Digicel Play across the island.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Aug 24, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    4K TV can work over almost any big Jamaican cable company's network... especially FTTH and HFC if they use HEVC/H.265 for video transmission. If they do go forward with 4K TV over Digicel Play, which channels other than their own would be in 4K? Doesn't both Digicel and FLOW use H.264/MPEG-4 for HD Video over their networks now? Why drive up costs even more by transmitting one or two channels in 4K? I can't name a single telco in the Americas transmitting content over IPTV in 4K. Their data network is sufficient enough to allow customers to stream 4K content at their leisure... Leave 4K TV alone and let's Digicel Play across the island.
    Righty said. I agree with you 100%. They need to expand both thier LTE and IPTV fibre broadband network. Across the lenght and breath of Jamaica.

Knowing Digixel this is just marketing.. Cause I don't know who is broadcasting 4K over cable...

Knowing Digixel this is just marketing.. Cause I don't know who is broadcasting 4K over cable...
    Precisely! I appreciate them flexing their muscles in regards to their network's capabilities but trust me, give enough Jamaicans access to that network and you'll be scrambling to resolve bottlenecks.

yup pretty much marketing to the plebs. I waiting patiently for the 8k roll out.