Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digicel charges new phone "maintenance fee"

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Digicel did not want to be in El Salvador but they were forced to remain because of their government so I am not sure if the Gov would be willing for them to merge with anyone else.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business1.html

Well just saw that as of July 1 there wont be anymore 55 mins free for international calls only between 15 and 30 mins depending on the plan ur on. Every month they take away something, this is unprecedented

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Well just saw that as of July 1 there wont be anymore 55 mins free for international calls only between 15 and 30 mins depending on the plan ur on. Every month they take away something, this is unprecedented
    :/ This really isn't looking good.

Correction, the maintenance fee is $15 JMD

A long time mi a tell unnu seh ""digicel"" a !@#@!%$#^ teif, but no man! The bigger better fool unnu ___sour lime a dweet
    MY OWN HOUSE, CAR AND BUSINESS, LOVELY WIFE AND KIDS

Telecommunication company Digicel is to refund prepaid customers the unannounced monthly maintenance charge it began imposing on some of them on June 22.

The Office of Utilities and Regulations (OUR) is probing the matter.

In the meantime, Digicel, in response to Gleaner queries said as a "good gesture", customers charged for the month of June will get back their money.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...aintenance-fee
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I hardly used my Digicel. Just for the 25 after 5 promotion. I'm not even sure what they're using currently. I had a dual SIM phone and accidentally purchased a single SIM. Since then I've parked the Digicel in a secondary phone that gets left at home daily. Don't use them much - no need.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Good, need to however watch this to see if its a temporary retreat by Digicel, to comply with the OUR demand for adequate notice be given to its subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Good, need to however watch this to see if its a temporary retreat by Digicel, to comply with the OUR demand for adequate notice be given to its subscribers.
    I find it improbable the fee implementation was handled this way by accident. This is a company that understands marketing and could easily have gotten the word out ahead of time had they chosen to do so. If I were a cynical man, I would say that they figured the target customer wouldn't be paying close attention and if credit went missing they would just shrug their shoulders wondering how di credit done already.

I keep an emergency Digicel phone around but don't actively use it so I was affected by this. I only knew something was going on because I saw the apology text message. I've looked through the SMS history but see no notice of the change in TOS, mention of the maintenance fee or maintenance fee charge. Just many promotional texts from Digicel. Funny how that works eh?

I'm sure there will be some public displays of contrition but in the end they will manage to extract what amounts to a minimum use tax.

New Digicel Prepaid Fee 'Indefinitely Halted'

The Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) said it was informed by Digicel yesterday that the recent charge of a prepaid maintenance fee (PMF) to customers whose monthly spend falls below $50 has been “indefinitely halted”.

This action follows the OUR's intervention in response to Digicel's implementation of the PMF onJune 22. In a letter to the company, the OUR asked that it provide evidence that customers had been given sufficient advance notice; the exact amount to be charged and the basis for such a charge.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...initely_halted
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    New Digicel Prepaid Fee 'Indefinitely Halted'

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...initely_halted
    I only see this as a tempoaray halt. They will reinstate it in the near future. Once they have correct the Public relations error.