Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digicel charges new phone "maintenance fee"

Default Digicel charges new phone "maintenance fee"

I was taken by surprise just now upon hearing that cash strapped Digicel already start charging a "maintenance fee" for pre-paid subscribers that have a monthly usage of under $50. Im curious how much is this fee?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    I was taken by surprise just now upon hearing that cash strapped Digicel already start charging a "maintenance fee" for pre-paid subscribers that have a monthly usage of under $50. Im curious how much is this fee?
    It's $4 JMD IIRC... according to Clause 10.4 of their TOS, upon application, the subscriber will be allotted 3 on-net voice minutes & an extension of their account provided credit remains on the account after the 14 day airtime expiry.

The network is charging this to essentially mostly to cut down on the licensing fees it has to pay per issued SIM card among other fees. ARPU's been severely eroded and now they have to find new sources of revenue. Being "Bigger, Better" has its costs in a developing country....

Thanks for the update.
    I dont however understand this :
    the subscriber will be allotted 3 on-net voice minutes & an extension of their account provided credit remains on the account after the 14 day airtime expiry.

I was taken by surprise just now upon hearing that cash strapped Digicel already start charging a "maintenance fee" for pre-paid subscribers that have a monthly usage of under 0. Im curious how much is this fee?
    They need to explain themselves, the O.U.R has summoned a report and explanation from Digicel. This is getting from bad to worse, are they that broke. That they have to resort to desperate measures like these?.

Thanks for the update.
    I dont however understand this :
    Essentially, the $4 will give you 3 on-network minutes and allow you continued subscription to the network. If the credit expires thereafter and another maintenance fee is billed, an inactive balance may warrant immediate deregistration of the associated SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    They need to explain themselves, the O.U.R has summoned a report and explanation from Digicel. This is getting from bad to worse, are they that broke. That they have to resort to desperate measures like these?.
    From what I'm hearing... things aren't too peachy-keen at 14 Ocean Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Essentially, the $4 will give you 3 on-network minutes and allow you continued subscription to the network. If the credit expires thereafter and another maintenance fee is billed, an inactive balance may warrant immediate deregistration of the associated SIM.
    That cleared it up. Lets hope it don't have the opposite effect of driving off their customers.

That cleared it up. Lets hope it don't have the opposite effect of driving off their customers.

Looking forward to an asset swap or merger between big red and Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Looking forward to an asset swap or merger between big red and Blue
    Big Blue looks like they're about to buy Caricel's assets imo... Liberty Global might however acquire some of Digicel's ailing business units perhaps those in Latin America like El Salvadora and Panama (this would be inevitable... Digicel is the ONLY of 4 carriers there, which includes C&W, to not have an LTE network. I saw the iceburg a long time ago). Seems the least tedious regulatorily to me...
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jun 29, 2017 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Big Blue looks like they're about to buy Caricel's assets imo... Liberty Global might however acquire some of Digicel's ailing business units perhaps those in Latin America like El Salvadora and Panama (this would be inevitable... Digicel is the ONLY of 4 carriers there, which includes C&W, to not have an LTE network. I saw the iceburg a long time ago). Seems the least tedious regulatorily to me...
    Digicel did not want to be in El Salvador but they were forced to remain because of their government so I am not sure if the Gov would be willing for them to merge with anyone else.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business1.html