Thread: AMD’s upcoming R9 Threadripper CPUs

Default AMD’s upcoming R9 Threadripper CPUs

If the leaked information for AMD’s upcoming R9 Threadripper CPUs turns out to be true, it could mean that AMD created the most powerful desktop processors ever. With up to 16 cores, near 4GHz clock speeds, and support for faster memory than Intel’s upcoming Core i9 CPUs, AMD could be poised to capture the performance crown for the first time in nearly 15 years.
    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/amd-r9-th...181300371.html

AMD is putting the pedal to the metal.
    This is leaked info so take it with a pinch of salt.
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

Very exciting. Finally some competition for Intel.

Great work done by AMD. Congrats to them at this point. Very well done going up against such a Giant and winning in some cases.

AMD has three new platforms

Ryzen Desktop (already released on socket AM4)
    Ryzen ThreadRipper (soon to be released High-End Desktop platform on socket TR4)
    Epyc (soon to be released enterprise solution)

The best part for us is the pricing. More performance for less cost.

I would not say most powerful. I predict but better power draw thus lower JPS bill. Also better performance to cost ratio.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

AMD should gain significant market share over the next couple of years. They have designed these CPUs with scalability and platform longevity in mind. They key to this is their infinity fabric which will work on the cpu and GPU and will enable them to sell unique computing solutions on the high end but also every day computing will be more powerful.

I was thinking of getting a Ryzen desktop CPU but may consider saving and getting a low end ThreadRipper
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

I was aiming at building a new gaming pc around the Threadripper platform but I'm afraid I won't have any time to play games for a long time to come. I now have a desktop replacement laptop in the Dell Inspiron 17R SE. I've just started a job which is extremely demanding so not much play time for me. I will be getting a Ryzon based desktop replacement as soon as they become available and affordable.
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

If ryzen is anything to go by thread ripper wont have much more gaming performance. It might even be slower at games. But for professional use it will be mighty fast for sure.

If the cores are all new architecture though i would expect AMD to replace the existen ryzen lineup with it lesser cored version. But i expect it is actually the same ryzen cores just more of them. Might be maybe 15% faster per core though.

Quote Originally Posted by M20 View Post
    If ryzen is anything to go by thread ripper wont have much more gaming performance. It might even be slower at games. But for professional use it will be mighty fast for sure.

If the cores are all new architecture though i would expect AMD to replace the existen ryzen lineup with it lesser cored version. But i expect it is actually the same ryzen cores just more of them. Might be maybe 15% faster per core though.
    Well what we know so far that is that the threadripper platform has more PCI-E lanes and a Quad-channel memory controller. I don't expect the cores themselves to be much different than Ryzen. However seeing that it is a overall chip, I suspect additional features will be baked in.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

I do not think much games right now have that much complexity to use 16 cores 32 threads. There may be a few. I would figure that they would have something like 1000 different AI/human players.

However, DX12 and Vulcan now allows better load balancing on the CPU for "CPU tasks" related to rendering. (For task running on the GPU itself, like rendering tasks, they are now asynchronous where possible. This allows GPU tasks to run as soon as a shader resource becomes available. More efficient).
    An important consideration is that, the workload given to each core must be adequately large to be optimal. For example, a team leader assigns task to 32 teams all over the world, if they work independently for a week then return with the result, then no problem. But if the teams finish in 5 minutes, and have to communicate a lot of results to the team leader, then it might not make sense to use 32 teams. It may be more optimal to use 2 nearby teams and give them all the workload. It is the team leaders task of also finding out the optimal distribution of tasks. It depends on how much the developer can implement and distribute the load, or the game engine that is used, or the Operating System layer.
    Typical workstation work loads usually scale well with more cores, because task would have to process a lot of data, eg points in a CAD object. These tasks take a relative long time, and can be broken down into smaller, asynchronous tasks, and then shared among many cores. Another work load that can scale well with more cores is database query. This is because of the same reason. As an example, a database table can be 8GB worth of data, and you run a query task that needs to run a calculation on every row in that database. That task can be broken down, "and is". A four core processor will not come close to performance to a 16 core processor with that type of workload.

As games are currently implemented, many do not scale well. We would just have to wait and see for future games, and how well they scale on multi-core processors. Currently a lot of "A" title games favor higher clock speeds rather than more cores. But in the future how many GHz can a processor really reach, even when 10nm process becomes available.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

The specs are released. Basically more ryzen cores in a bigger package. Massive soldered on heat spreader supposed to keep these chips quite cool. The TDP is nearly 200 Watts though!