Thread: Stolen USB memory

Default Stolen USB memory

My Samsung 32GB BAR (METAL) USB 3.0 Flash Drive https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was stolen by one of a few suspects. What technological method could I use to catch the guilty person and recover my USB Drive.
    Last edited by Danestar; Apr 3, 2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm sure you are out of luck.

If you and the thief's computer were on an Active Directory domain, you could either setup a group policy to catch the volume by serial number (assuming you knew it already). You could use a tool like SpiceWorks or Lansweeper (with an added module) to scan on your local network of all drives on the network (to include PCname, login user, drive capacity, serial number)....agin assuming you knew your serial number already. These solutions are limited to a small organization type Active Directory network, and requires the thief to keep the flash drive plugged into a PC on the network.

If you knew beforehand that your flash drive could be stolen:
    You would have to create an "autorun.ini" file with commands for Windows to do an SMTP e-mail to yourself with the thief's environment variables such as login name, IP address, etc. whenever the thief attempts to access the drive. .....This assumes the thief is using Windows.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I highly doubt that there anything that can be done at this point to recover the physical drive.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Can't I do a scan on the suspected persons computer or check his device history.

Quote Originally Posted by Danestar View Post
    Can't I do a scan on the suspected persons computer or check his device history.
    Yes, you can if you have physical or remote access to that PC.
    https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to...y-in-windows-7

You just need to know beforehand which one (driver) would match the model / type for your Samsung flash drive that Windows installs when the thief plugged it in.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

I may can get access to the suspected PC; What would I have to do?
    To God be the Glory