Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Monitor Setup

pretty much the best one I have seen recently is this; 22" dell, but as usual its the typical crap 1680 x 1050 resolution. I guess it is what people can afford to buy. If you are playing games or watching movies it is fine but geez scroll scroll scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    ... Some of these places will tell you 1080p when it's not actually 1080p. So test it first - then take it home and test it - then take it back if it's not what you want.
    This is exactly what happened to me. I decided that I'd try to get a new monitor locally instead of second-hand or shipping from foreign. I went to a notable computer store in HWT and told em I wanted a 1080 monitor, and I went with the cheapest widescreen...nothing much to talk about with that model...but only after repeatedly asking if its 1080 and getting confirmation repeatedly, even from another rep. I told the sales rep that I'd return the monitor if its not 1080. The experience there was very pleasant and different from what you'd find in a store like this one.

I took it home and tested out my brand new 1080 monitor...had some trouble setting up the resolution to play well with my old HP 17" 1280x1024. When I finally get it to display 1920x1080, I get surprised by Windows: a notification that the resolution is not set to the optimal resolution of 1366x768...

I got so pissed at this unpleasant surprise...yet another attempt by tech sales ppl to try con out the 'uneducated' buyer. I just shutdown everything and went to have my dinner. After that I neatly packed everything back into the box.

The following day I take an early lunch and charter a taxi to back HWT. Stepped in the doors and the security looking puzzled like why I'm back with the big box. I explained to the sales rep that this aint what I want and aint what you told me it is.

Supervisor comes in and tells me thats the choice I made before paying for it...seeming to insinuate that I am responsible for the misinformation.
    Now, I'm not a loud or aggressive person, and I stay away from too much noise and excitement. In spite if this, I had to tell him sternly that he was wrong and I explain the scenario that transpired the previous day.

Manager steps in, and I again explain the scenario. Manager insists that I pay 20% restocking fees...I told her that its unfair that I have to pay that cost when I was misinformed. So of course they try to sell me another monitor now, which is '1080', but turns out its waaaaay over of my budget.
    At this point the atmosphere calms down and they offer to check another of their locations for a 1080 monitor of comparable price that I paid for the 1366x768. I decided to wait and give them a chance to set things right.
    A little while after I'm presented with a '1080' monitor of comparable price, though 'a little bit more'. Unfortunately it didn't have the ports I wanted. So I got a full refund but the sales rep may have to stand the cost of restocking...I kinda feel sorry for her.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    ... But I do imagine that u have to buy a new video card if you want to go dual monitor which will add to you costs.
    True. I actually don't have a card right now...I'm running on Intel HD530 on an i5-6600, which handles games surprisingly well at Medium settings and it is capable of running up to 3 displays.

Gonna order one of the cheapest 1050Ti I can find though.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Download this.

https://mega.nz/#!cM8mlLCB!QtzV1HHwm...EvkWF2XXSE6wuU

You can see my TV + monitor setup. TV is my main screen. Biggest issue is the time it takes to boot. Will upload to YouTube soon.

YouTube will be at -> https://youtu.be/cmgdm2-laEk when it's done. In case you'd rather do that. But most times I upload to YouTube the quality sucks.

The thing that I'm having an issue with - all of a sudden - is screenshots. I could take from any screen, but today I noticed that the screenshot apps all capture the other monitor totally white. Regardless. If I use regular print-screen and then paste it into something it works fine. No idea why the apps stopped working....
    This looks nice...which TV are you using?
    Last edited by khat17; Apr 2, 2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Multiple Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimalbert1 View Post
    This looks nice...which TV are you using?
    It's a TCL L24D2700.

Runs at 1366x768 normally. Can run 1080 (does with some games) although the visuals not always clean, but I'm not complaining. Gets the job done. I *might* replace it with a 1080 monitor and give this to my wife. But will see. I still frag people when I play online.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Really khat17? This is a native 720p TV...which will not have clean 1080 visuals. This is what I'm trying to avoid. But maybe a native 1080p TV? Anyone here have that setup?

Really khat17? This is a native 720p TV...which will not have clean 1080 visuals. This is what I'm trying to avoid. But maybe a native 1080p TV? Anyone here have that setup?
    I figure that's what you want. Can be had. Go check Courts/Singer or go to one of the Indian stores with your laptop and an HDMI cable. Easiest way to test. I just needed a big screen at the time and got it. Price wasn't bad either. Courts - think it was 19k cash or something of the sort.

The other thing is - I try to run my stuff windowed so I can get access to my contacts list and such at breaks during gameplay on the second screen. So it works.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I appreciate the help. I was gonna ask how you did fullscreen gaming and still were able to manipulate the secondary monitor...I guess that's not really possible then.

P.S.: you will never see I with a laptop, unless is work-related.

heres another dell with a god awful 1440 x 900 resolution.

I appreciate the help. I was gonna ask how you did fullscreen gaming and still were able to manipulate the secondary monitor...I guess that's not really possible then.

P.S.: you will never see I with a laptop, unless is work-related.
    It is possible with some games. L4D2 and others using the Source engine have a windowed borderless option - this is the full space of your primary monitor with the option to alt-tab away at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    heres another dell with a god awful 1440 x 900 resolution.
    Eww.... What kind of resolution is that.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Eww.... What kind of resolution is that.
    my 17" is running at 1280 by 1024. but its from the pre-widescreen days. I have grown accustomed to widescreen but I hate the scrolling you have to do