Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Rant.....

Default AMD Rant.....

You know, I pride myself in not being a sheep. I am the type of guy who will buy my own parts to form my own opinion instead of following YouTube videos. To be completely honest they do have some say in what I do by what I see does not determine how I spend my money. I like finding stuff out for myself and if it doesnt work out I can always sell the stuff I bought.

There tends to be a cultic following surrounding AMD and their supporters that bothers me. Recent reviewers have stated that Ryzen kicks the pants if Kaby Lake in everything except gaming and the brood of AMD loyals all labelled all the reviewers as "Nvidia shills" and all manner of evil. Which brings me to my current predicament. As some of you may (or may not) know I have a 6Gb GTX 1060. The card was awesome, my CPU was bottlenecking it and I was paring it with a 4690K.

Now, I said to myself why not cross over to AMD and get 2 RX 480s in Crossfire. Bought two and.......it sucked.....I mean like royally sucked I have over 138 games in my Steam library and I realized I had to be fiddling with render files (as per AMD instructions) just to get a marginal (and I do mean marginal) boost in frames. So I then said to myself you know what call it a loss just run one card by itself and lo and behold it ran the games better but was not in the same league as my 1060. So I then watched a series of YouTube videos to see if I was the only on experiencing this and I started seeing a trend there are some reviewers that I have respect for but AMD almost always does better on their reviews compared to the popular reviewers.

I had 2 AMD cards but they were never current gen so i was happy with being able to play games at 35 + FPS. Now I want to max and get over 60 at 1080P and 1440P. I think I am done with AMD I will go to Nvidia and enjoy lower total TDP, no huge minimum framerate drops, and a platform thats supported by more game devlopers. The AMD loyalists/apologists can remain but based on my experience I am done.

Pezz go away.....
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Topmararis it seems that you have been sucked in to the world of Fanbois. For every AMD fanboy that calls someone a Nvidia shill, there is someone in the Nvidia camp bashing people from AMD. So you have to be careful where you get your info from.

As to your issue with crossfire, I have seen all over the web people have issues with crossfire either on a per game basis or generally. However there are other people who have no issues with it. The same can be said for Nvidia SLI tech but admittedly to a lesser extent.
    I am not sure if you did a clean install of OS and/or completely removed the Nvidia drivers from your machine but reviewers usually run benches from a clean install so they are less likely to have issues that the general public experiences.

One GPU tends to run better than two and I don't think SLI/Crossfire is a bullet proof solution on an open platform such as the PC seeing that there are variables such as how much time devs will invest in making them work or if they game is developed from the ground up to work best with just one vendor.
    In a closed system it multi GPU works just fine. An example of this is PS4 Pro which is essentially 2 GPUs crossfired.

For your needs I would recommend a 1070 or something of the sort for your next GFX card. Personally my next upgrade will be something that can do about 30fps at 4K and use the down sampling feature to run it with more fidelity on my 1080p screen.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Here's my two cents from someone that's been on both sides of the fence.

Originally, I was all about nVidia. One of my older boards was nForce and had my 8800GTS and all. Just about all of the prior cards from AGP and PCI days were nVidia with the exception of one PINE (AGP) and one 9800 PRO (ATI AGP).

Originally, ATI/AMD was the underdog. nVidia has the power and the technology, but they are guilty of two things. One is that they recycle their chips with minimal modifications and then sell them for massive amounts. Kind of like how JTC/TOJ/CWJ/LIME milks the market. ATI was always the better choice for RAW POWER but at the cost of HIGH HEAT.

Since AMD purchased ATI, their cards have gotten MUCH BETTER. In the heat department that is. The drivers actually still sucked donkey parts until the last 2-3 years I think. But if you looked at the cost and performance, ATI/AMD was much better.

Then comes the corporate bull-crap. It's known even if they don't want to admit it. nVidia has their hands so far up some of these companies that the company is a muppet. It's supposedly "fair" and all that, but if you take an ATI/AMD card that is obviously more powerful in every known benchmark (that isn't nVidia biased), or even take a card that's two generations above the required nVidia equivalent, the nVidia runs the game better. It's just how it is.

Now - nVidia to me is like Intel. They have the means and the power to get the things done properly, but why do that when you can save and milk the market?

The second thing nVidia is guilty of is poor quality builds. Three of us purchased cards back in the day. BFG, XFX and EVGA. All 8800 series cards. Every single one failed a few months apart from each other. Mine - a transistor literally fell off the board when I was cleaning it. Another one it just died totally - I resurrected it and started to benchmark - then it literally caught fire inside my machine. The third one (the XFX) was doing fine mostly, and then when it died I didn't try to bring it back.

I've never had issues like that with ATI/AMD. The issues I've had include the need for reflow/reball. Giving both companies their dues, this is primarily caused by RoHS. Not entirely the company's fault.

So as it stands now? I have little loyalty to either one. It's a matter of bang for buck, and ATI/AMD gives you that more often than nVidia.

As for your cross-fire issue, I'm not sure why you're getting that. I'll help you figure it out if we can link, and maybe it has something to do with configs or other things like what BNOVA suggests. But let's hash it out and see where it goes. And if you can't be bothered, I'll probably take one or two of them off you.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

@topanaris

NVIDIA makes the top performing GPUs at the moment and the majority of games are written for it. That is just life. The same can be said for Intel and CPUs as well. I would call myself a fan of AMD the company as they are trying to go up against a gorilla. However I am not foolish and the best technology wins not the company so I choose the best and I am not ashamed.

The thing about multi GPU setups is that it doesn't work well with all games especially ones its not optimized for. Considering which games are optimized for which manufacturer the choice for that will also be clear.

Ryzen will be a hit, make no mistake. It provides excellent performance for half the cost of an almost similar Intel CPU. In turn Intel will have to drop the cost so its a win on both sides. AMD fanbois get a competitive CPU and Intel fans get to pay less on Intel gear.

The beauty of competition.

Default Amen brother

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    @topanaris

NVIDIA makes the top performing GPUs at the moment and the majority of games are written for it. That is just life. The same can be said for Intel and CPUs as well. I would call myself a fan of AMD the company as they are trying to go up against a gorilla. However I am not foolish and the best technology wins not the company so I choose the best and I am not ashamed.

The thing about multi GPU setups is that it doesn't work well with all games especially ones its not optimized for. Considering which games are optimized for which manufacturer the choice for that will also be clear.

Ryzen will be a hit, make no mistake. It provides excellent performance for half the cost of an almost similar Intel CPU. In turn Intel will have to drop the cost so its a win on both sides. AMD fanbois get a competitive CPU and Intel fans get to pay less on Intel gear.

The beauty of competition.
    That's just the way the world works. Market leaders get more attention and prior to the RX480 AMD had lost its way a bit. They had given up the high end market totally. I still supported them because I don't need extreme performance for the games I play and I prefer the AMD philosophy. nVidia has many questionable practices to answer for which IMO hurt the graphics industry. I am hoping Vega will light a fire under nVidia's butt the way Ryzen has Intel. We need the competition.

Bring back the competitive days of Opteron/Athlon vs Pentium/Pentium Pro and GeForce vs Radeon.

I know all of the above. The fanboyism is really getting to me. I know the issues with crossfire, and also know it has its flaws and its functionality depends on it being explicitly supported. My issue really is using one card. This VS my 6GB 1060 was like night and day see below

GTX 1060
    Witcher 3 maxed settings hairworks off avg. 72 FPS
    GTA 5 Maxed settings 81 FPS

Single 480
    Witcher 3 maxed settings hairworks off avg 58 FPS
    GTA 5 mxed settings 63 FPS

Crossfire 480
    Witcher 3 78 FPS
    GTA 5 115 FPS

All games ran at 1080P with 16 GB DDR 2400 RAM. i5 7600K @ 4.8GHz

There was a significant bottleneck in GTA 5 both GPUs were having around the 75% ~ 80% so I suspect testing at 1440P would give better results.

So in all fairness after tweeking its not as bad but I suspect if we could SLI the 1060 it would blow this Cross 480 out the water.

I barely game these days but do content creation on a medium scale. I've always had both Nvidia/AMD cards but i've always noticed a trend where when it comes to rendering and 3d apps Nvidia always outshines AMD in that respect. AMD is plagued with driver issues and application support. Im fully over on Team green now for the past 3 gens and I'm not looking back anytime soon.

~ PS my 6950 2gb OC still manages to play modern games at acceptable FPS

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    You know, I pride myself in not being a sheep. I am the type of guy who will buy my own parts to form my own opinion instead of following YouTube videos. To be completely honest they do have some say in what I do by what I see does not determine how I spend my money. I like finding stuff out for myself and if it doesnt work out I can always sell the stuff I bought.

There tends to be a cultic following surrounding AMD and their supporters that bothers me. Recent reviewers have stated that Ryzen kicks the pants if Kaby Lake in everything except gaming and the brood of AMD loyals all labelled all the reviewers as "Nvidia shills" and all manner of evil. Which brings me to my current predicament. As some of you may (or may not) know I have a 6Gb GTX 1060. The card was awesome, my CPU was bottlenecking it and I was paring it with a 4690K.

Now, I said to myself why not cross over to AMD and get 2 RX 480s in Crossfire. Bought two and.......it sucked.....I mean like royally sucked I have over 138 games in my Steam library and I realized I had to be fiddling with render files (as per AMD instructions) just to get a marginal (and I do mean marginal) boost in frames. So I then said to myself you know what call it a loss just run one card by itself and lo and behold it ran the games better but was not in the same league as my 1060. So I then watched a series of YouTube videos to see if I was the only on experiencing this and I started seeing a trend there are some reviewers that I have respect for but AMD almost always does better on their reviews compared to the popular reviewers.

I had 2 AMD cards but they were never current gen so i was happy with being able to play games at 35 + FPS. Now I want to max and get over 60 at 1080P and 1440P. I think I am done with AMD I will go to Nvidia and enjoy lower total TDP, no huge minimum framerate drops, and a platform thats supported by more game devlopers. The AMD loyalists/apologists can remain but based on my experience I am done.

Pezz go away.....
    A i5 4690K bottlenecked a GTX 1060! For real? And also i thought the 1060 and 480 had basically the same performance plus the 480 would outperform the 1060 in DX12 titles.
    Car Audio and PC Enthusiast. System Specs:CPU:Intel-Core i7 4790k 4Ghz quad-core processor, COOLER: Corsair H80i V2, MOBO:MSI Z97A Gaming 7, RAM:Kingston Savage 16gb (2x8) 1866mhz, SSD:Samsung 850 evo-series 250gb, HDD:WD black 7200rpm 1tb, GPU:MSI geforce GTX 980ti gaming 6G, CASE:Corsair carbide 230t black, PSU:EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD.

Just to be clear that bottleneck is only in GTA 5. Which is more a CPU than GPU bound game. In Witcher 3 the 4690K was doing about 65% the 770K is about 45 ~ 50%

Results will always be mixed. eg.

one game your 1060 is faster, then another comes along and the 480 is faster. Just depends on what you are looking for. I dont bother with cards like 1060 because of where the 960 ended up. if you are keeping more than a year or 2, you might find the 1060 loses all the time on newer games.

While its nvidia's *60 card should be fine and a safer bet. but there are still a bunch of games it loses in. the above, battlefield 1 etc.

Should have bought a 1070/980ti or fury card, not crossfire.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo