Thread: Looking For Acrobat Pro Alternative

Default Looking For Acrobat Pro Alternative

Hi all. Looking for an alternative for Adobe Acrobat Pro. I have this in CS2 with a license, but I realize that PDF I create are telling me that I can't save the filled forms. This happens with Adobe Acrobat only - think it's only happened from Acrobat 9 but not with the older versions. I don't have this problem opening the forms created with Foxit Reader. I also own Foxit Phantom, but I find Acrobat Pro CS2 better. I found two alternatives which seem to work, but the intuitive options are far less with other applications. So any suggestions will work. I will have to re-create the forms from scratch however - I've tried to open the files with other program but it doesn't work.

Internet seems to be giving issues so will update with the names and such later on.

*EDIT*
    Here they are.

PDFill PDF Editor - https://www.pdfill.com

and

Wondershare - https://pdf.wondershare.com

I find Wondershare to be intuitive and not bad. PDFill seems good but the features seem hard to get accustomed to. None of them allow me to label the checkboxes or buttons. I'm not sure how to deal with that. If there are any others please let me know.
    Last edited by khat17; Feb 16, 2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

why are you creating forms in PDF?

Hey Khat is creating what you want in word and porting to PDF an option?

AN option you can try is Nitro PDF Pro. see if that will suite your needs.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Hey Khat is creating what you want in word and porting to PDF an option?

AN option you can try is Nitro PDF Pro. see if that will suite your needs.
    I've not tried that, but heard the suggestion before. If I can find the kind of forms that I need then fine. I'll give a form example later on when I edit out the company / copyright stuff. I also heard about Nitro, but haven't tested yet.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    why are you creating forms in PDF?
    Specifically it's a "labour of love" kind of thing. I'm trying to help out all parties in my department.

Later on (if they decide to be good/nice) they can pull the XML data from the forms and put it into different formats. This way data gathering will be much easier.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Nitro is very good and is basically Adobe's no. 1 competitor.

Nitro isn't bad. I'll admit that, but Nuance looks good so far. I'm not happy with Foxit over what happened. They told me basically that my version is too old and they won't upgrade me - i didn't even get offered a discount for being a previous client.

My issue with Nuance now is to group buttons/items so only one can be selected. Same issue I have with Nitro.

So far Nuance is the easiest one to get into (was still a little tedious) and the price is cheaper than the others for the features I want. Will test Nitro some more and see.

*EDIT*
    So I actually found out how to get it done with Acrobat Pro. After making or modifying a form with LifeCycle Designer, you have to open the file in Acrobat 8 Pro and then go to "ADVANCED" then "ENABLE USAGE RIGHTS IN ADOBE READER" for it to work. Without that you can't save the files.

In testing the other applications, none of them worked out well enough. Nuance was decent, but I got stuck on the same thing in both it and Nitro which is to make a group of labeled radio buttons or check-boxes to have a user only make one selection at a time. Thanks for all the input however. Thread will be closed in a week or so.
    Last edited by khat17; Feb 18, 2017 at 02:51 PM.