Thread: The stupidity of Digicels data rates/charges

Default The stupidity of Digicels data rates/charges

Just a while a go I got a text message from Digicel saying they are give me 10GB of data for free, until Dec 27th. I haven't used my Digicel SIM for more that 6 months yet they gave me what I consider to be an expensive gift for Christmas. This is a gift that I don't need, a gift I have no use for.

What I find irksome is that they can give away 10GB of data for free, yet charge $10,000 +tax for 10GB of data on their "Smart Plan". What is worse, is that they are charging $40 per 1MB for overuse. This 10GB they gave me is worth $409,600 in overcharges to them.

All this goes to show that data caps and high data charges are unnecessary and are only a extension of corporate greed.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Just a while a go I got a text message from Digicel saying they are give me 10GB of data for free, until Dec 27th. I haven't used my Digicel SIM for more that 6 months yet they gave me what I consider to be an expensive gift for Christmas. This is a gift that I don't need, a gift I have no use for.

What I find irksome is that they can give away 10GB of data for free, yet charge $10,000 +tax for 10GB of data on their "Smart Plan". What is worse, is that they are charging $40 per 1MB for overuse. This 10GB they gave me is worth $409,600 in overcharges to them.

All this goes to show that data caps and high data charges are unnecessary and are only a extension of corporate greed.
    This is so true, My sister got the exact same 10GB LTE data plan as a gift for Christmas, they offer her to keep the plan after the free service is over. And she would pay $7,700 per month inclusive of tax if she is interested. This deal however would be for 24 months, after that new charges would apply. My sister kindly declined the offer, as she has no use for the service. Especially at the price that they were offering. This offer from Digicel did not included any white listed websites and apps, and no unlimited service. Digicel is in a huge financial mess, they are doing all that they can to squeeze every last dollar out of their customers. The only way I would pay $10,500+tax for a data plan is only if it has unlimited service, and no overcharges. That I know is a pipe dream, I hope Flow and Caricel comes with something better with their LTE Network.

This is what you call a bait and switch tactic. It is why cellphone contracts work so well in america. Look at it this way; data is free once you have the infrastructure up and running. the problem is they paid allot of money for the infrastructure and maintence. so what do they do? they charge you to use it. which is fine and dandy. still with me? now back to the first point where I said data is free once the network is up. Now how do you get people to pay more money? there are several ways to do this. one way is to just give away some of it to customers to get them hooked on it. the people who get hooked usually pay for the little freeness that is given away.

*chances are you wont be able to use all that 10 gigs so they could even give you 100gigs and you still wont be able to physically use it in the time allowed. its a win for them eitherway.