Thread: Android Smartphone as the Ultimate Car Tracker

Default Android Smartphone as the Ultimate Car Tracker

So I've had this idea for some time now and figured hey, what the heck, let me use the 2015 "flagship killer" - The Oneplus 2 and Android Device Manager as a tracking solution for vehicles (personal of course and not for large fleets)

First, you will need a working Android Smartphone that you may want to give away, trade or sell.

Make certain that:
    It is running at least Android 4.4
    Can connect to your mobile data network
    GPS is fully functional
    I used the 2015 OnePlus 2 for this solution, you can find more on it here:

Amazon - http://amzn.to/2dVQkaQ
    eBay - http://ebay.to/2e3d4T0

Here's my discovery if you need to jump right into it and skip the written explanation:

Next, go to "Settings" and then scroll to "Accounts"
    Log in with your Google or Gmail account. You can also create a new Google account just for this.

Next, head back to settings
    Make sure that location services in on and actively locating this device.

Next, find a secure location in your vehicle and hide your old smartphone.
    Make sure the area is dry, not too hot or wet.
    Be sure that it's effectively receiving GPS signal and remains connected to your mobile data network.

Then, From another mobile device or from a computer, log into Android Device Manager.

Note:
    Be sure you're logging into the same account that the hidden smartphone (tracker) is using.

Now, as your vehicle is in motion you can use Android Device Manager as the tracking platform
    You'll be able to achieve real-time updates, it's TOTALLY free to use and managed by Google.

Full instructions and photos may be found here:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...d-Car-Tracker/

Let me know your thoughts on this approach. Of course, it's not ideal but I think it would help out a lil situation every now and then.
    Last edited by ray_tika; Nov 27, 2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Adding more details

Good info.

• Put the phone on silent.
    • You'll have to pay for data service from a provider.
    • "Old" is relative. Persons may see a 1+2 and take it out if it's found (phone).

Overall, not a bad idea. One of the comments on your video was good which is a minimal cost setup and possible DIY - make another connection behind the console to have the phone constantly in and charging.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Good info.

• Put the phone on silent.
    • You'll have to pay for data service from a provider.
    • "Old" is relative. Persons may see a 1+2 and take it out if it's found (phone).

Overall, not a bad idea. One of the comments on your video was good which is a minimal cost setup and possible DIY - make another connection behind the console to have the phone constantly in and charging.
    Cool... I'm thinking that placing the phone on silent could also add even more options for the user (stealth mode). You could activate the auto-answer feature and install in a way that allows you to call the device and hear whats happeneing in the vehicle.

jomo Guest

You can get a female cigarette lighter and put a car charger in it in an undisclosed location

I have a phone I use in the car with WiFi Hotspot on all the time, would be an added option for those that wouldn't want to simply waste a phone to do this

this would be like a second option - i still would get a tracker that is wired to the vehicles complete electronics
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

while a good idea, you have to know the full capabilities of what you are telling people a lot of people don't know that your entire tracking timeline is saved on google https://www.google.com/maps/timeline, really amazing but for all of the bunner man them or for all of the man them that think them getting bun thank me a next time.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

jomo Guest

Trust me if you think you're getting bun, you are, don't bother to track and stalk and search your girl phone, have some respect for me and her privacy, please and thanks...

Just want people to know that their entire history is saved most people don't know this.

Quote Originally Posted by VRTECJA View Post
    while a good idea, you have to know the full capabilities of what you are telling people a lot of people don't know that your entire tracking timeline is saved on google https://www.google.com/maps/timeline, really amazing but for all of the bunner man them or for all of the man them that think them getting bun thank me a next time.

Having the ability to use an "OLD" mobile device as a tracker and having Google save it's history for you to point back to is great I think. Now you the end user have the freedom to see where your car has been.
    If you are using a vehicle for say - rental purposes (i.e. to visitors), this would be a great way to enhance their safety, understand locations that are most frequently visited and see what could be put in place to make traveling to these places become more fun for them and increase revenue for you.

You could use this as an analytic tool to build your business.

With other tracking solutions, the "Provider" of the service gets this info. This approach now puts the power in your hands.

As pointed out by nevintech this idea could be paired with a permanent tracking solution you have already invested in or are thinking about.
    Last edited by ray_tika; Dec 4, 2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: correcting typos and grammar