Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning my HDD for dual boot: Windows 10, Ubuntu 16

Default Partitioning my HDD for dual boot: Windows 10, Ubuntu 16

Going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and dual boot it with Ubuntu 16. Just trying to figure out recommended partition sizes. For windows, will have a partition just for my data (Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc) and another for the OS. For ubuntu, just 1 partition for the OS and data.

I'm thinking 100GB for Windows OS and 50GB for Ubuntu. And leave the rest for data (550 GB, FAT32), which will be shared between both OS. I have a 700GB drive.

I separate the data so I can easily reinstall the OS, without having to backup.
    What you guys think. This can work?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

For Ubuntu ideally you will need to make at least three partitions:

1. A root (/) partition (about 20GB)
    2. A SWAP partition (approximately 2 times the size of your memory)
    3. A Home (/home) partition (depends on your needs but should be more than 10GB)
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post

3. A Home (/home) partition (depends on your needs but should be more than 10GB)
    I have set aside 60GB for it. Allows me room to grow and play with ubunutu. More than likely I would be installing some servers and reproducing my daily windows use on ubuntu.

So I'll split it up as you suggested:
    root: 20GB
    Swap: 16GB
    home: 24GB

If I recall the last time I set up my PC like that, once the 2 partitions (NTFS and FAT32) were already there, the Ubuntu loader will make create what it wants to in the remaining free space. It was an easy install.

Quote Originally Posted by 5dB View Post
    If I recall the last time I set up my PC like that, once the 2 partitions (NTFS and FAT32) were already there, the Ubuntu loader will make create what it wants to in the remaining free space. It was an easy install.
    Yup. That's what it did for me as well. Thanks.

Did the partitioner separate the root partition from the home partition? Personally I prefer the two separated so that when or if I have to reinstall Ubuntu I can overwrite the root partition and preserve my home partition which may have important documents, images and other personal files.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Did the partitioner separate the root partition from the home partition? Personally I prefer the two separated so that when or if I have to reinstall Ubuntu I can overwrite the root partition and preserve my home partition which may have important documents, images and other personal files.
    It didn't look like it did yuh nuh. At least it didn't ask me to. I could have gone the manual way of customizing the partitions, but it was asking me about where to install the boot manager, and I didn't want to mess up the installation and not be able to get back into my Windows 10. So I let it do it automatically.

I can always change the partition using gparted, later on, don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and dual boot it with Ubuntu 16. Just trying to figure out recommended partition sizes. For windows, will have a partition just for my data (Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc) and another for the OS. For ubuntu, just 1 partition for the OS and data.

I'm thinking 100GB for Windows OS and 50GB for Ubuntu. And leave the rest for data (550 GB, FAT32), which will be shared between both OS. I have a 700GB drive.

I separate the data so I can easily reinstall the OS, without having to backup.
    What you guys think. This can work?
    Hi. Read https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc938432.aspx. Use FAT32 only for bootable disks and EFI.

If you go a little bit complicated, you can mess around with partitions as much as you like without doing anything to MS partitions. Use LVM2 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm)

There are drivers enabling Windows to read/write Linux partitions.

Why using FAT32? Linux can access NTFS and read/write to it without any issues. Only problem is if the partition was not dismounted properly by Windows or if it's an OS partition and Windows is hibernated.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Is that really necessary these days? I remember when I just started using Linux, most people recommend multiple portions for your Linux installation. I haven't installed it like that in yrs and my system works just fine. The installation will even create the partition needed for swap automatically, unless the user want to designate a smaller or larger size to swap. I'm also dual booting Windows and Linux Mint btw.