Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free 802.11n AP : Make use of that old LIME adsl router!

Talking Free 802.11n AP : Make use of that old LIME adsl router!

VERSION 2.0 of the GUIDE : October 2016
    (the guide is written to help those who may not yet have the network experience to do this on their own, for those more experienced readers : feel free to skip some of the hand-holding info/steps )

Have you upgraded from LIME/FLOW's ADSL wifi to another provider and have one of the WHITE wifi (SMARTrg) modems laying around gathering dust? Don't throw it away! you can easily turn it into a decent 802.11n Wifi access point with virtual SSID capability. You can use it as:

* Guest network
    * Spin up/Deploy temporary virtual access points for get-togethers / events / study-groups!! *NEW*
    * To expand coverage in your home
    * Replace an old 802.11b/g device for a family member etc.

**DISCLAIMER : DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE STILL AN ACTIVE ADSL CUSTOMER. ERASING THE DEVICE WILL MESS UP YOUR SETTINGS AND THEY ARE NOT EASY TO GET BACK. DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU MESSED UP YOUR CONNECTION!**

STEP 1: DETERMINE YOUR CURRENT LAN SUBNET
    On windows, Bring up a command prompt by going to the start menu and searching for cmd.exe. Type ipconfig and press enter. Look where is says IPv4 address. In my case it says 10.0.1.193 is the local ip address of my computer:

The aim is to give the LIME wifi modem a static IP address on your LAN that can be accessible at any time. Its a good idea to put it outside of your router's dhcp pool. If you don't know how to get that information, then don't worry. Take the last number and substitute 254 for whatever you see. In the example above, I will choose 10.0.1.254 for my LIME's new IP address. Write it down on the underside of the LIME modem. I chose .254, as this should be outside of the DHCP allotment of most home networks!

On a Mac, bring up system preferences and click on networking, you will see your current LAN's ip address and subnet info :

STEP 2: ERASE THE DEVICE
    * Hold down the reset button on the underside of the modem for 30 seconds. The power and wifi lights should blink off and on again once. You will know that the device is reset when you see a new wifi SSID show up as "ClearAcess#######".
    Disconnect your computer from your current main router and connect it to the LIME modem via a LAN cable.
    If you want to connect via wifi the default password is "OneCpeToRuleThemAll" (the password is case sensitive).

Go to http://192.168.1.1

Click manage gateway.. and enter "admin" for the username and password. This will get you into the configuration page of the LIME modem.

STEP 3: DISABLE DHCP AND SET THE UNIQUE LAN ADDRESS

Go to Advanced Setup >> LAN. And set the lan IP address to what your chose before. In my case, I selected 10.0.1.254 as the new static IP. DON'T FORGET TO DISABLE DHCP - THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!. Don't forget to Click APPLY/SAVE after each change!
    The LIME will now reboot.... Disconnect your computer from the LIME modem and connect it back to your main router. Your computer should automatically re-assign the proper address from your main router and you should be able to browse the net again. If this does not occur, restart your computer. For those comfortable with the command prompt, issue an ipconfig /release command followed by and ipconfig /renew. You should be "good to go"..
    Last edited by Rx; Oct 15, 2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: version 2.0 of the guide featuring the virtual ssid functionality of the device
    Workstation: MacPro Server: HP Proliant ML10v2 with TrueNAS 12.0 Core

STEP 4: SETUP YOUR WIFI SSID NAME

Connect to the LIME modem to your main router with a network cable. You should now be able to access the LIME modem like you did before at its unique static IP address. For example, in my case using 10.0.1.254

STEP 5: SETUP YOUR WIFI SECURITY

Make sure WPS is off!!! (security risk)

STEP 6: DISABLE THE PHONE-HOME-FEATURE

Although the phone home feature (modem connects to FLOW and resets the admin password on reboot) is tied to the WAN/DSL interface, I still prefer to disable it as shown above. This will prevent FLOW from overwriting all the changes you have made and locking you out of your device in the future...
    Thats it, now plug this into any router and you will have WIFI from the LIME/SmartRG device. All IPs will be served from the main DHCP server on your main router.

STEP 7: MAKING VIRTUAL ACCESS POINTS FOR VISITORS (OPTIONAL)

Lets say you have an event at your house etc, and you would like to provide Internet Access to your guests without telling them your password or having to go in and change your wifi setting just for this temporary event. The SmartRG provides the capability to spin-up up to 3 virtual Access points!. In my example I have "study group wifi" and "wedding reception wifi" enabled. I don't see where the "isolate clients" and "wmm advertise" settings have any effect, so leave those off.

Remember to set the wireless security for that virtual AP using the same step 5 procedure

When the function is over, simply delete or disable the virtual AP!

For those wondering how stable this device is as an AP, I have pushed 63Gigs of streaming data through it with no issues. It performs much better than my old Linksys WRT54GS as one would expect as its a 802.11N device.... It seems the wifi radio and the LAN chipset are one of the same, or bonded together via an internal switch. Performance is independent of its OS software.. Speed Test using it... maxes out my Digicel 25Mbps connection, in an area of my house where the Linksys was only getting 7Mbps!

Last edited by Rx; Oct 15, 2016 at 02:12 PM.

Nice tutorial. I am thinking of doing that with one of my old routers.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Useful and well written tutorial. Thanks!
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

very useful tutorial.. nice.. much appreciated
    For every computer problem there is an upgrade with equal and opposite problems.

Thanks guys! Glad it was useful.

Had I known the performance and wifi reception of the SmartRG were so good when used in this way, I would have dash whey my Linksys WRT54Gs long time lol
    Last edited by Rx; Sep 9, 2016 at 04:48 AM.

Need a little help here. I followed the instructions, but can't get it to work after adding IP to adapter.

OK. So I managed to go to the very end. However, can't get a connection from the router.

Quote Originally Posted by alliance4life View Post
    OK. So I managed to go to the very end. However, can't get a connection from the router.
    Hi, hardwire plug a computer into one of the ports on the LIME. Do you get an IP from the main router?

Send some details on your setup...

first let me say great tutorial breda i got mines working and it is fast and stable i like it so far, on the other hand anyone who is having issues getting a internet connection from the lime modem after going through the set up process the issues is likely due to your router having a static ip address and since the lime modem isnt issuing addresses it will only connect one device is you tamper with the ip settings a bit so just make sure your main router or computer in my case has dhcp enabled, if your using a pc try connectify it worked for me.
    GPU : sapphire 6870
    CPU : amd athlon ll x3 425 3.3GHZ
    MOBO : ecs a780gm am3
    all your base are belong to us