Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digicel Frees up Facebook For All

Default Digicel Frees up Facebook For All

All Digicel customers can now access social network Facebook for free on their mobile phones without affecting their data plan or credit. The Facebook Flex was introduced to Jamaican customers on Wednesday.

The move, which is intended to increase the number of customers who access the Internet, suggests a shift in strategy for Digicel. Despite the free Facebook access, however, the telecoms company still holds a very strong position against the concept of ‘net neutrality’ which it sees as an abuse of its investment by Internet companies including those that offer free communication services online.

Previously Digicel customers could buy data plans that allowed free use of Facebook and other social networks. But now all Digicel customers with data-enabled phones can use Facebook for free to connect with their friends, families and others as well as access a variety of health, education, finance, communication, news and local information websites.

With Facebook Flex, customers can, like posts, comment, view news and status updates, upload pictures and use Facebook Messenger, all for free. No data plan or credit is required.

The ability to send and receive messages via Facebook Messenger, is likely to further reduce use of SMS texting.

In addition to free Facebook, Digicel has also introduced Free Basics, which provides access to a variety of health, education, finance, communication, news and local information websites.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...-for-all_65718

Too bad I don't use TraceBook....
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Good thing for communication.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Good thing for communication.
    For any other country this would be true, however in Jamaica the gross output of idleness per capita will go through the roof.

Can someone check if they are allowing Facebook videos to be zero-rated against your data plan? I am betting video is blocked.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    For any other country this would be true, however in Jamaica the gross output of idleness per capita will go through the roof.

Can someone check if they are allowing Facebook videos to be zero-rated against your data plan? I am betting video is blocked.
    Lol! I was thinking this would make productivity and communication better.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Lol! I was thinking this would make productivity and communication better.
    Have you ever seen Jamaicans being productive via communication on any social network? This move by Digicel would be similar to giving Jamaicans free lives and unlocks on Candy Crush.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Since they free up facebook, why are they still blocking VOIP even when I have I pay for my data plan.
    In other countries Digicel by law allows users to do what they want with their data.

What's your thoughts on net neutrality?
    Last edited by Dre'; Jul 1, 2016 at 12:30 PM.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Since they free up facebook, why are they still blocking VOIP even when I have I pay for my data plan.

I am all for Net Neutrality because all data is just data. The difference between the 1s and 0s from a Netflix stream and those from a Facebook app is nil.

Beside all that, the policy decisions for things like Net Neutrality and data-caps are always based on profit, not network or technological capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Seems data is still needed to view pics and vids....
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Seems data is still needed to view pics and vids....
    Then its not much different from 0.facebook.com
    I believe Facebook removing the old messaging system (inbox) completely this month so 0.facebook.com wouldn't causing them to free up facebook all together.
    Besides facebook zero doesn't use ssl (https).
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

jomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    In other countries Digicel by law allows users to do what they want with their data.

As far as I see remember they list the battle to block and you can now make and receive a whatsapp calls for one, but they make the service horrible for spite lol