Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help putting a modem into bridging mode and configuring a router

From my limited knowledge... U will need modem settings (similar to how u would setup the mobile phone Internet) to go in the WAN area of ur router. If u r using bridge mode on the modem then u will also need to disable the DHCP so it doesn't assign addresses of its own but passes through all the connection and allow the router to do the "routing" and issuing of IP addresses. The IP address conflict will occur if both lan IP is 192.168.1.1. To avoid this (say u wana connect 2 router as u can't go backwards like allowing router to assign address to modem)... Primary router 192.168.1.1 issuing 192.168.1.2-254 will need to be 192.168.1.5-254, now u can set ur secondary router LAN IP to 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP... That way the secondary router request IP addresses from the primary router, prevent conflict as the secondary router is not in the primary IP pool and u can always log into any router by using 192.168.1.1 for primary and 192.168.1.2 for secondary router. This will also make one big network for all to share files and see each other... However if u wana create 2 different network and avoid conflict, the primary router lan IP need to be 192.168.1.1 and secondary router lan IP need to be 192.168.2.1. Or any order but the 3 place value need to be different but again, this will give internet but u can't share files between devices connected to each router as they will be on different IP pools.... Hope that helps
    Last edited by mykel; Jun 26, 2016 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Ye it's smart rg, just found some pics on my phone of its interface
    Here is a writeup on how to put the SmartRG into PPPOE bridge mode :

https://www.ncf.ca/ncf/support/wiki/...gure_as_bridge

Make sure you have your LIME/FLOW adsl username / password / VPI / VCI information

You would then tell the Cisco Router to use PPPOE (entering the username and password into the CISCO's PPPOE client) to connect to the bridge. Although those instructions feature the SR505N model, they will also work for the SR350N that LIME used.

I Have one of those laying around:

(you will need the power brick though) that you can have if you want to experiment without messing up your main adsl link for the house. PM if you are interested...
    Last edited by Rx; Jun 26, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
    Workstation: MacPro Server: HP Proliant ML10v2 with TrueNAS 12.0 Core

Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    From my limited knowledge... U will need modem settings (similar to how u would setup the mobile phone Internet) to go in the WAN area of ur router. If u r using bridge mode on the modem then u will also need to disable the DHCP so it doesn't assign addresses of its own but passes through all the connection and allow the router to do the "routing" and issuing of IP addresses. The IP address conflict will occur if both lan IP is 192.168.1.1. To avoid this (say u wana connect 2 router as u can't go backwards like allowing router to assign address to modem)... Primary router 192.168.1.1 issuing 192.168.1.2-254 will need to be 192.168.1.5-254, now u can set ur secondary router LAN IP to 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP... That way the secondary router request IP addresses from the primary router, prevent conflict as the secondary router is not in the primary IP pool and u can always log into any router by using 192.168.1.1 for primary and 192.168.1.2 for secondary router. This will also make one big network for all to share files and see each other... However if u wana create 2 different network and avoid conflict, the primary router lan IP need to be 192.168.1.1 and secondary router lan IP need to be 192.168.2.1. Or any order but the 3 place value need to be different but again, this will give internet but u can't share files between devices connected to each router as they will be on different IP pools.... Hope that helps
    I tried the first method at one point but it didn't work, maybe I didn't wait long enough for the router to update because it seems to take longer than other routers i've used so now i'm running on a different subnet altogether like the 2nd method.

Quote Originally Posted by Rx View Post
    Here is a writeup on how to put the SmartRG into PPPOE bridge mode :

https://www.ncf.ca/ncf/support/wiki/...gure_as_bridge

Make sure you have your LIME/FLOW adsl username / password / VPI / VCI information

You would then tell the Cisco Router to use PPPOE (entering the username and password into the CISCO's PPPOE client) to connect to the bridge. Although those instructions feature the SR505N model, they will also work for the SR350N that LIME used.

I Have one of those laying around:

(you will need the power brick though) that you can have if you want to experiment without messing up your main adsl link for the house. PM if you are interested...
    Been having some other problems so I didn't even think about trying to change the router settings, maybe i'll try that another time, for now have to just try get everything else in a workable state asap.

Is that pic the router you were asking about? The one we got was something looking more like this but same brand...
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Cloud Solutions. All rights reserved.