Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Brandysull you need to start a tech blog or such where you can post regularly quality articles....

Didn't know about that 4g limitation but I was thinking that if providers in USA had that ability why couldn't we provide that?

I mean flow has tremendous backhaul capacity with extensive fibre links in kingston. Couldn't they like increase the slots available like ports etc per site by increasing stuff?

Also what about unlimited fixed wireless Internet because am sure they could just assign enough capacity to sites that the equipment locked to...back in the years lime had the landline express that was locked to the site. Even now digicel had Digihome which operates similar to that.

How easy is it to add capacity?

I always wonder how is it that places like hwt can have lots of people using their phones at the same time without much issues. If so be the case then they could easily just beef up high traffic areas for the unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Brandysull you need to start a tech blog or such where you can post regularly quality articles....

Didn't know about that 4g limitation but I was thinking that if providers in USA had that ability why couldn't we provide that?

I mean flow has tremendous backhaul capacity with extensive fibre links in kingston. Couldn't they like increase the slots available like ports etc per site by increasing stuff?

Also what about unlimited fixed wireless Internet because am sure they could just assign enough capacity to sites that the equipment locked to...back in the years lime had the landline express that was locked to the site. Even now digicel had Digihome which operates similar to that.

How easy is it to add capacity?

I always wonder how is it that places like hwt can have lots of people using their phones at the same time without much issues. If so be the case then they could easily just beef up high traffic areas for the unlimited
    LOL I'm working on the blog

Backhaul is essential but the key is in the Air interface. The Air interface is the bottleneck in the network and by virtue of the principles of networking, the slowest link/node is virtually the overall speed of the network. What FLOW & Digicel may have done in HWT is one of the following:

1. 6-sector U850 & U1900 - (U stands for UMTS or 3G). This allows them to spread users across 6 different antennas, essentially doubling the theoretical capacity on the network.

2. Increased network density i.e. more sites per square mile than usual. This is similar to what networks like T-Mobile (especially in the New York City market) have done. More sites means more capacity and higher quality call quality (to include data calls as well). Such deployment strategies are difficult to do and CAPEX intensive.

Keep in mind that when you offer an unlimited plan, it must be non-discriminatory i.e. All subscribers must be able to use that plan. Beefing up capacity in one area might suffice but you have to keep in mind that FLOW has over 500+ sites with HSPA+ & Digicel, 1000 sites, with varying network configurations. It is impossible to guarantee QoS for services like emergency calling, Circuit-Switched Fallback etc. if everyone in one area decides to engage in buying an unlimited plan. Dropped calls can induce network churn, penalties and bad rapport. You may respond and say, why not upgrade capacity to those areas, to which I would reply and say that FLOW & Digicel will no longer be building out HSPA+ after this last push in 2017. Both networks have begun slimming their 3G capacity, disabling DC-HSDPA on LTE sites and will soon start shifting 2G to guard bands. It's 2017 and 5G is almost here, we have to get with the times
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jan 18, 2017 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
    Tested in New Kingston around 1pm this afternoon.

Got similar speeds with Fast.com
    If you don't mind me asking, which device did you use to test this LTE speed test?. From the looks of it, it seems to be a Huawei device.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    LOL I'm working on the blog

Backhaul is essential but the key is in the Air interface. The Air interface is the bottleneck in the network and by virtue of the principles of networking, the slowest link/node is virtually the overall speed of the network. What FLOW & Digicel may have done in HWT is one of the following:

1. 6-sector U850 & U1900 - (U stands for UMTS or 3G). This allows them to spread users across 6 different antennas, essentially doubling the theoretical capacity on the network.

2. Increased network density i.e. more sites per square mile than usual. This is similar to what networks like T-Mobile (especially in the New York City market) have done. More sites means more capacity and higher quality call quality (to include data calls as well). Such deployment strategies are difficult to do and CAPEX intensive.

Keep in mind that when you offer an unlimited plan, it must be non-discriminatory i.e. All subscribers must be able to use that plan. Beefing up capacity in one area might suffice but you have to keep in mind that FLOW has over 500+ sites with HSPA+ & Digicel, 1000 sites, with varying network configurations. It is impossible to guarantee QoS for services like emergency calling, Circuit-Switched Fallback etc. if everyone in one area decides to engage in buying an unlimited plan. Dropped calls can induce network churn, penalties and bad rapport. You may respond and say, why not upgrade capacity to those areas, to which I would reply and say that FLOW & Digicel will no longer be building out HSPA+ after this last push in 2017. Both networks have begun slimming their 3G capacity, disabling DC-HSDPA on LTE sites and will soon start shifting 2G to guard bands. It's 2017 and 5G is almost here, we have to get with the times
    5G will be awesome, but I don't think Jamaica will see it anytime soon, maybe after 2020 then things will start to get serious. I would love for us here in Jamaica to have what T-Mobile is planning to roll out in the near future. 1Gbps mobile data is comming to the US very soon, This would be extremely expensive in Jamaica and very much underutilized. But I see the ICT and Telecommunication Industry in Jamaica and around the world, rapidly moving forward ahead.

My thing about unlimited data is that despite the technicalities i still believe its possible for this reason, i am sure that when customers use low data apps like whatsapp they are continuously connected to the network right?

Because they may not be using much data but they using available circuits or whatever it is right? So my thing is since they already are able to deal with thousands of active simultaneous connections due to people using whatsapp, then all they would have to do is increase the bandwidth right Brandysull? Am just trying to figure out

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, which device did you use to test this LTE speed test?. From the looks of it, it seems to be a Huawei device.
    I was using LeEco Le S3 Dual Sim phone. And I was on that LTE network as far as Excelsior High School on Mountain View Ave. Didn't really go any further so I dont know how further it extended.
    Last edited by blackbeard; Jan 19, 2017 at 09:55 AM.

@Brandysull

Get your domain name and I'll host the website for you. I have free space on a 1GB DigitalOcean VPS that is hardly being used.

I am interested in these topics because I like to use them as a gauge to compare Jamaica's development speed.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    @Brandysull

Get your domain name and I'll host the website for you. I have free space on a 1GB DigitalOcean VPS that is hardly being used.

I am interested in these topics because I like to use them as a gauge to compare Jamaica's development speed.

I would also gladly design a website /blog for him as well

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    My thing about unlimited data is that despite the technicalities i still believe its possible for this reason, i am sure that when customers use low data apps like whatsapp they are continuously connected to the network right?

Because they may not be using much data but they using available circuits or whatever it is right? So my thing is since they already are able to deal with thousands of active simultaneous connections due to people using whatsapp, then all they would have to do is increase the bandwidth right Brandysull? Am just trying to figure out
    Customers are constantly connected to the network but are not always using network resources. Since 3GPP Release 6 - if I recall correctly, HSPA has what we call Cell states. These dictate the various modes of transmission that User Equipment (UE), i.e. your cell phone, can assume. (Note: These states are only possible assuming the subscriber or UE, is in RRC:CONNECTED state wherein the UE has an active session with the MME/SGSN. This in layman terms means when you enable mobile data on your phone and get the 3G/H+/H after a second or so). If a UE is not in an active data session (or what we cell CELL_DCH), it will assume many different states (around 3 or 4 others) depending on the device's activity and the network's traffic management algorithms.

Another thing, the amount of bandwidth that you are availed as a user of a 3G network is dependent on a LONG list of factors. Here's an example. One thing that most people have or had experienced during the earlier days of '4G' was where signal strength in areas we frequented fluctuated throughout the day. You would be at home at 1 AM and get full 3G signal. Say you stopped by your house to make some lunch and return to work, your phone had 1 or 2 bars of 3G and if you EVER made a call, you'd be sent to 2G/EDGE. This phenomenon is what we Cell Breathing. This is where the network's coverage virtually shrinks due to amount of uplink interference being experienced by UEs. This is especially true in densely populated areas. The farther you are away from a cell site increases the likelihood of you being on the virtual edge of cell. A good example is if you're at a really loud club like Ribbiz and your friend is by the bar and you're by the DJ (The club being the RF environment, loudness - caused by the music in the club and all the other persons in the club, being the amount of uplink interference & your friend is the cell tower). If you should shout to your friend by the bar to get you a Vodka Cranberry, they likely won't hear. The club is way to loud, you're way too far and you're incapable of speaking over the music and propogating the sound far enough to your friend to hear AND accurately decipher your instruction. Much of the same principles apply to cellular networks, though way more nuanced.

TL;DR, you cannot just increase bandwidth, if you don't have the right mix of spectrum holdings, tower density, site capacity, network backhaul etc., increasing bandwidth (which could apply to so many parts of the network) would be as useful as carrying a water with a banana trash basket.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jan 19, 2017 at 02:13 PM.

Isn't unlimited data just marketing ?? There is always some kinda fair usage cap in place... limits are just higher than norm..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram