Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Flow and its competitors have to evolve and meet the requirements of the Market and consumers. If it is that more and more subscribers demand by their usage increased data allotment and speeds, then they will have to meet that request. Or lose subscribers, You mention the Live streaming phenomenon, this will only increase rapidly over the comming months, carriers have to meet this request with new Technology, blazing fast speeds and affordable plans and reliable services. I personally believe that we have now reached the GBPS age, its not widespread as yet. But with the growing legions of apps and services, it is only a matter of time before 5G and GBps internet takes foothold massively across the markets.
    I am not saying they won't evolve but at what cost? Flow may be a Teir 1 ISP in Jamaica but they are a Teir 2 or Teir 3 to US where they purchase their bandwidth from and where we get or content from. If you can pay for unlimted bandwidth I am sure Flow and Digicel can provide it to you once you are able to pay for it but it won't be cheap at all.

But you are right once the customer expresses a demand for the service they will implement it.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Hey Brandysull, I would like some clarity on this issue. Why do some phones only say 4G instead of LTE or 4G LTE?. I ask this because the Huawei device above shows 4G. Mind you, 4G in the US, represents HSPA+ Networks, while LTE represents 4G technology. Is this issue a problem from the phones end or the carriers?. I am about to get a Huawei device, but from what I've seen. Outside of the US, when LTE is supported and connected. The Huawei device icon shows 4G instead of LTE.

I don't like this, as I feel I am getting HSPA+ speeds, rather than LTE (True 4G).

Hey Brandysull, I would like some clarity on this issue. Why do some phones only say 4G instead of LTE or 4G LTE?. I ask this because the Huawei device above shows 4G. Mind you, 4G in the US, represents HSPA+ Networks, while LTE represents 4G technology. Is this issue a problem from the phones end or the carriers?. I am about to get a Huawei device, but from what I've seen. Outside of the US, when LTE is supported and connected. The Huawei device icon shows 4G instead of LTE.

I don't like this, as I feel I am getting HSPA+ speeds, rather than LTE (True 4G).
    Carriers outside of North America (and the Americas in general) rarely advertise their networks as 'LTE' but as 4G. Huawei's ROM seems to be configured to show 4G for UICC/SIMs that are have a specific MCC & MNC stored. This is similar to how iPhones show 4G for AT&T & T-Mobile's HSPA+ network and LTE for their LTE networks, this lies in the Carrier bundle for the network within the operating system (iOS allows for more flexible access to network files for operators even for iPhones not bought on their network; Android requires a system update)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Carriers outside of North America (and the Americas in general) rarely advertise their networks as 'LTE' but as 4G. Huawei's ROM seems to be configured to show 4G for UICC/SIMs that are have a specific MCC & MNC stored. This is similar to how iPhones show 4G for AT&T & T-Mobile's HSPA+ network and LTE for their LTE networks, this lies in the Carrier bundle for the network within the operating system (iOS allows for more flexible access to network files for operators even for iPhones not bought on their network; Android requires a system update)
    OK, thank you for that technical explanation, So even if I see the 4G icon on my screen, I should not think that it is not LTE?.

OK, thank you for that technical explanation, So even if I see the 4G icon on my screen, I should not think that it is not LTE?.
    Precisely, It will indicate HSPA+ as H+ and LTE as 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Precisely, It will indicate HSPA+ as H+ and LTE as 4G.
    OK, Thank you very much.

Tested in New Kingston around 1pm this afternoon.

Got similar speeds with Fast.com

How could this company only have lte in new kingston, not even HWT!!

i tell u that management is completely out of touch. Completely. Forget the whole social media interactions they do monthly its a farce to keep their jobs or to make people believe they actually working.

The CEO is clearly out of touch as well because he seem not to understand that FLOW data plans are not competitive. FLOW has a partnership with whatsapp and they silly to have made digicel allow free whatsapp and facebook with 2 day plan and they sit there talking about their plans cheaper. SMH

I dont see them solving the real issues they had over the years. They just picked a stronger brand and thus reaping the benefits. I hope Digicel comes with unlimited 4g i made a suggestion to digicel to whitelist their digicel play app for unlimited streaming even if its during digicel rising stars time slot. They would definately increase viewership

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    How could this company only have lte in new kingston, not even HWT!!

i tell u that management is completely out of touch. Completely. Forget the whole social media interactions they do monthly its a farce to keep their jobs or to make people believe they actually working.

The CEO is clearly out of touch as well because he seem not to understand that FLOW data plans are not competitive. FLOW has a partnership with whatsapp and they silly to have made digicel allow free whatsapp and facebook with 2 day plan and they sit there talking about their plans cheaper. SMH

I dont see them solving the real issues they had over the years. They just picked a stronger brand and thus reaping the benefits. I hope Digicel comes with unlimited 4g i made a suggestion to digicel to whitelist their digicel play app for unlimited streaming even if its during digicel rising stars time slot. They would definately increase viewership
    FLOW has LTE in Half Way Tree, a friend of mine did a speedtest there and got the same speeds.

Honestly, I can't knock FLOW for not having data-exempt F.I.T.W., It's an outright violation of net neutrality. Furthermore, HSPA+ is not spectrally or resource efficient and cannot sustain users with unlimited caps. HSPA+ (or 3G rather) resources are shared between data and voice traffic. The total throughput on the network is affected by amount of voice traffic on the site (as well as overhead of carrier aggregation etc., Channel Quality and by extension, available modulation scheme etc.). Both carriers are also mandated as per their license to provide capacity to emergency calls regardless of the user's network of choice. This means if you are in an area with no FLOW coverage, you can still make a 119 or 100 call because Digicel has coverage there and is mandated to offer you the ability to make the call. If they cannot or failed to carry an emergency call on their network, they will face severe penalties to include the risk of losing their license. All of these factors and more must be considered when pricing their service and as such, until they have a sizable number of users on LTE, shall keep capped allotment on offer.

FLOW says that by middle of this year they'll have 200+ sites active (from Kingston to St. Elizabeth) with LTE and all the major population centres blanketed with LTE by late 2017 (this is to include 700 MHz). The sites that are active were the test sites, they've been up and running since early last year. Their roll-out strategy seems to be more aggresssive than Digicel's. Keep in mind that FLOW is doing another rip-and-replace on the North Coast & new site builds in areas with low site density (due to a new co-location agreement with Digicel - Digicel will also be doing new site builds).
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jan 18, 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Someone mapped some coverage on Rootmetrics. This stuff is seriously fast, and they haven't even aggregated 700 MHz with it yet. Initial speeds from Digicel on Rootmetrics weren't as gorgeous if I'm honest. Thank God for Liberty Global lol

Last edited by Brandysull; Jan 18, 2017 at 06:56 PM.