Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Isnt zte in some issue?

Also I'm concerned for Digicel I must say. I hope they can get their act together
    Yes ZTE is in some issues with the US government and its security agencies. However ZTE and the US has worked out a solution to allow ZTE continued access to American Technology and software, as well as the huge US electronic market. The problems hasn't full gone away, but major work arounds are in place until all issues have been resolved. As for Digicel, I am seriously concerned about them. I love Digicel dearly, and has been with them from 2005 when I got my first cellphone. I have fond memories of Digicel, and I pray that they will pull through. Do you have any plans to leave Digicel?. I still have Thier Sim in another phone. For some reason I just can't give them up, no matter how hard I try I just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    From the looks of it, Digi just need to pack it up with respect to their own Engineering. Lease the towers to Flow and then lease back capacity from Flow so everyone gets decent service and coverage. Let the people who know how to do it best do it and don't let customers suffer. That ping, the speeds were just unfit to for any smartphone usage.
    LOL! Liberty Latin America won't let that happen without an acquisition. They're on a LatAm buying spree, they recently bought a cable company in Costa Rica and, if the Panamaian Government holds true to their promise, Liberty Latin America may buy out Digicel Panama (which is the operator which most Panamanian officials are intent on getting rid of, unfortunately). Digicel has all the trappings of a quality mobile network but is now seemingly steadily reducing in quality. They've begun decommissioning all their old Ericsson sites (to include the by no means out-of-date RBS6000) and have gone all in with ZTE... Will it augur well for them? I'm not sure BUT what I am sure of is that the capacity needs help DESPERATELY. Coverage may be good enough but what's coverage without adequate capacity? The AWS A Block purchase they made needs to be maximized NOW or are they waiting till next quarter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Yes ZTE is in some issues with the US government and its security agencies. However ZTE and the US has worked out a solution to allow ZTE continued access to American Technology and software, as well as the huge US electronic market. The problems hasn't full gone away, but major work arounds are in place until all issues have been resolved. As for Digicel, I am seriously concerned about them. I love Digicel dearly, and has been with them from 2005 when I got my first cellphone. I have fond memories of Digicel, and I pray that they will pull through. Do you have any plans to leave Digicel?. I still have Thier Sim in another phone. For some reason I just can't give them up, no matter how hard I try I just can't.
    Okay but here's the thing, while I can pour blame on ZTE, this whole LTE fiasco is a collocation of bad decisons. Those bad decisions started in 2014 when they bought 700 MHz spectrum. Digicel should have gone the route of FLOW and acquire PCS and AWS spectrum instead... I remember then LIME's Managing Director saying that LIME did feasibility studies (supposedly with TEMS) to evaluate the cost benefit of buying 700 MHz at a premium vs. getting cut rate AWS. He then opined that LIME could feasibly cover Jamaica with AWS LTE, to which most people (including me) thought was mighty stupid to say... As it turns out, AWS is the backbone of FLOW's LTE network in Jamaica and has elevated their mobile business handsomely. Moreover, the network has exceeded expectations; breaking the triple digit barrier and, thanks to LTE Advanced; leveraging their recently increased spectrum holdings in PCS, now soaring above 200+ Mbit/s without sacrificing capacity on HSPA+ or GSM/EDGE. Digicel has the numbers which will help them stay afloat if they stay the course but FLOW has made some pretty smart decisions and it's caught Digicel off-guard (just look at how they lay spurious claims as to their network, "fastest in Jamaica", "no hitch streaming", "Certified by our Chief Speed Officer" whilst FLOW is simply promoting their network on the basis of speed; and the numbers are in their favor too.) These days, Marketing alone doesn't cut it... you must have the muscle to back it! Until they see that will they continue to have their customers languish in a supremely trashy network (apart from HD Voice over 3G; a breath of fresh air that is... if I were them I'd have been promoting it like hell!!)
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jul 5, 2018 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Okay but here's the thing, while I can pour blame on ZTE, this whole LTE fiasco is a collocation of bad decisons. Those bad decisions started in 2014 when they bought 700 MHz spectrum. Digicel should have gone the route of FLOW and acquire PCS and AWS spectrum instead... I remember then LIME's Managing Director saying that LIME did feasibility studies (supposedly with TEMS) to evaluate the cost benefit of buying 700 MHz at a premium vs. getting cut rate AWS. He then opined that LIME could feasibly cover Jamaica with AWS LTE, to which most people (including me) thought was mighty stupid to say... As it turns out, AWS is the backbone of FLOW's LTE network in Jamaica and has elevated their mobile business handsomely. Moreover, the network has exceeded expectations; breaking the triple digit barrier and, thanks to LTE Advanced; leveraging their recently increased spectrum holdings in PCS, now soaring above 200+ Mbit/s without sacrificing capacity on HSPA+ or GSM/EDGE. Digicel has the numbers which will help them stay afloat if they stay the course but FLOW has made some pretty smart decisions and it's caught Digicel off-guard (just look at how they lay spurious claims as to their network, "fastest in Jamaica", "no hitch streaming", "Certified by our Chief Speed Officer" whilst FLOW is simply promoting their network on the basis of speed; and the numbers are in their favor too.) These days, Marketing alone doesn't cut it... you must have the muscle to back it! Until they see that will they continue to have their customers languish in a supremely trashy network (apart from HD Voice over 3G; a breath of fresh air that is... if I were them I'd have been promoting it like hell!!)
    Base on your estimate, what does Digicel have to do to increase capacity. And therefore data speeds, it would seem that Digicel isn't going for speed. As I saw a speed test from Digicel T&T and it was 43mbps. So coverage is more important for them than capacity. I guess the main focus for them now is massive debt reduction, increase customer usage of the Network and services which should result in increased profits and revenue. Maybe when Digicel is ready for 5G, then we will see a increase in speeds over 100mbps.

Brandy...why would the Panamanian want to get rid of Digicel there?

Also I believe the same issue affecting digicel 4g broadband network is perhaps the same affecting its mobile. Seems their sites need upgrading and lack of parts due to supplier issue might be causing it or they just drop the ball as I notice many sites not operational when the light is out nowadays

Base on your estimate, what does Digicel have to do to increase capacity. And therefore data speeds, it would seem that Digicel isn't going for speed. As I saw a speed test from Digicel T&T and it was 43mbps. So coverage is more important for them than capacity. I guess the main focus for them now is massive debt reduction, increase customer usage of the Network and services which should result in increased profits and revenue. Maybe when Digicel is ready for 5G, then we will see a increase in speeds over 100mbps.
    Maybe Brandysull can inform us...but don't you need a good LTE network to support 5G?
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Brandy...why would the Panamanian want to get rid of Digicel there?

Also I believe the same issue affecting digicel 4g broadband network is perhaps the same affecting its mobile. Seems their sites need upgrading and lack of parts due to supplier issue might be causing it or they just drop the ball as I notice many sites not operational when the light is out nowadays
    Have a look at this link. It'll explain everything.

Digicel T&T is using Band 2, like bmobile... It's a 10 MHz channel too; just like Digicel Jamaica... nothing special there!

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Maybe Brandysull can inform us...but don't you need a good LTE network to support 5G?
    LTE is indeed the basis of 5G. Note that LTE's architecture is built to support future innovation. LTE-A and LTE-A Pro are iterations of LTE with the intension to push the techonology closer to 5G. LTE is indeed the bedrock of 5G and it will continue to be with us; 5G is not meant to replace LTE but to complement it.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jul 6, 2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

On a side note guys, I've been noticing that my phone has been constantly trying to conduct calls over LTE; it would stay on LTE for 2-4 seconds and then would switch down to 3G afterwards.... I'm wondering if they're working on VoLTE in the background; this is atypical of Circuit Switched Fallback. Hmmmmmmm

Side note: I cannot check the status my registration status on the IMS; iPhone makes this stuff transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    LOL! Liberty Latin America won't let that happen without an acquisition. They're on a LatAm buying spree, they recently bought a cable company in Costa Rica and, if the Panamaian Government holds true to their promise, Liberty Latin America may buy out Digicel Panama (which is the operator which most Panamanian officials are intent on getting rid of, unfortunately). Digicel has all the trappings of a quality mobile network but is now seemingly steadily reducing in quality. They've begun decommissioning all their old Ericsson sites (to include the by no means out-of-date RBS6000) and have gone all in with ZTE... Will it augur well for them? I'm not sure BUT what I am sure of is that the capacity needs help DESPERATELY. Coverage may be good enough but what's coverage without adequate capacity? The AWS A Block purchase they made needs to be maximized NOW or are they waiting till next quarter?
    Well the thought for RF is higher frequency = more bandwidth (capacity), lower propagation and lower frequency = less capacity, but better propagation. So, why wouldn't they be open to more towers with their high capacity frequencies? I don't see Liberty losing anything in making such a deal. Digicel surely could use the help. What they're doing currently is just sad. Unless the plan is for people to only use voice, it makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    Well the thought for RF is higher frequency = more bandwidth (capacity), lower propagation and lower frequency = less capacity, but better propagation. So, why wouldn't they be open to more towers with their high capacity frequencies? I don't see Liberty losing anything in making such a deal. Digicel surely could use the help. What they're doing currently is just sad. Unless the plan is for people to only use voice, it makes no sense.
    Well you can have higher capacity on lower frequency (as per the APT Band 28 plan; in places like New Zealand, carriers end up having up to 20 MHz of spectrum) and low capacity on higher frequency (a 10 MHz slice of PCS spectrum as the sole LTE layer). One must have the right spectrum mix first before they can rationalize tower deals. Digicel has sort that out first before they do tower selloffs to FLOW or private tower owners.