Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

So places did get hit badly by hurricanes. Puerto Rico might still be without electricity in some places.

So quick update, it’s either FLOW is intent on deploying it islandwide but, its Ericsson sites (which use the RRUS12) and updated antennas, are fully operating on 4x2 MIMO. Moreover, the antennas FLOW is using are capable of 4x4 MIMO (as are its remote radios). Because of 4x2 MIMO, one can fully utilize the fullest extent of the network (as exemplified in the below screenshot)

If FLOW updates its equipment to support 256QAM and enable 4x4 MIMO, they can double their current network to accommodate speeds up to 300 Mbit/s per sector or 6,600 simultaneous VoLTE calls. They’ve really hit it out of the park here. I’m absolutely impressed with the network quality. FLOW is really running an LTE-A network here guys... I can bet that they’re testing these technologies as we speak :O

Does anyone else have problems receiving a FLOW LTE signal on that stretch from say, the bottom of South Camp Rd out to Rae Town? Even voice calls tend to get dropped there sometimes....

@Brandysull, thanks for the constant updates!

Quote Originally Posted by prentice View Post
    Does anyone else have problems receiving a FLOW LTE signal on that stretch from say, the bottom of South Camp Rd out to Rae Town? Even voice calls tend to get dropped there sometimes....

@Brandysull, thanks for the constant updates!
    I guess they may need to densify the network or evaluate the current coverage means in that vicinity. This isn't just endemic to that locality, it's pretty general in other places. Like for instance in Montego Bay, there are plenty of places that cause you to drop LTE, even though you are in an LTE Zone... I'm unsure if they've done anymore work on the network since but it was a huge issue at one point.

@Brandysull, this may call for another thread, but do you know if RCS is gonna be rolled out by either FLOW or Digicel, what with Google's new push for it to be the future of Android messaging?

Quote Originally Posted by prentice View Post
    @Brandysull, this may call for another thread, but do you know if RCS is gonna be rolled out by either FLOW or Digicel, what with Google's new push for it to be the future of Android messaging?
    RCS is father far away from realization here in Jamaica. AFAIK, mobile networks in Jamaica have no interest in investing in tech that is essentially duplicating what is provided by OTTs. This may change in the future but for right now, I don't see it happening (to my dismay of course). I'm still fighting with FLOW to offer call quality better than what was on my 2006 Sony Ericsson T610i... in 2006 on my iPhone 8 Plus... in 2018. Muddled, awful call quality paired with higher calling rates? Digicel may be awful in the data department but you can't beat their call quality... crystal clear AMR-WB over their network to compatible phones; certainly something I'd pay $6.49 for a minute. This is technology that began deployment in 2007! We're just getting the ball rolling on LTE, the next fight is voice quality, then network ubiquity (VoWiFi, small cell etc.) and leveraging scale. Jamaican networks have a long way to go.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Apr 24, 2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    RCS is father far away from realization here in Jamaica. AFAIK, mobile networks in Jamaica have no interest in investing in tech that is essentially duplicating what is provided by OTTs. This may change in the future but for right now, I don't see it happening (to my dismay of course). I'm still fighting with FLOW to offer call quality better than what was on my 2006 Sony Ericsson T610i... in 2006 on my iPhone 8 Plus... in 2018. Muddled, awful call quality paired with higher calling rates? Digicel may be awful in the data department but you can't beat their call quality... crystal clear AMR-WB over their network to compatible phones; certainly something I'd pay $6.49 for a minute. This is technology that began deployment in 2007! We're just getting the ball rolling on LTE, the next fight is voice quality, then network ubiquity (VoWiFi, small cell etc.) and leveraging scale. Jamaican networks have a long way to go.
    I'm experiencing this as well. Call quality is terrible, I reported it via customer care. But the agent was trying really hard to blame my phone as the source of the issue. please don't stop fighting with them to upgrade to HD voice. Its not like they don't have the bandwidth and frequency to do it. Their AWS spectrum offers them many capacity to offer functionalities like HD voice or VoLTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    So quick update, it’s either FLOW is intent on deploying it islandwide but, its Ericsson sites (which use the RRUS12) and updated antennas, are fully operating on 4x2 MIMO. Moreover, the antennas FLOW is using are capable of 4x4 MIMO (as are its remote radios). Because of 4x2 MIMO, one can fully utilize the fullest extent of the network (as exemplified in the below screenshot)

http://i.imgur.com/UifELHj.jpg

If FLOW updates its equipment to support 256QAM and enable 4x4 MIMO, they can double their current network to accommodate speeds up to 300 Mbit/s per sector or 6,600 simultaneous VoLTE calls. They’ve really hit it out of the park here. I’m absolutely impressed with the network quality. FLOW is really running an LTE-A network here guys... I can bet that they’re testing these technologies as we speak :O

What kind of phone u using, postpaid or prepaid plan?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; May 1, 2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: removed large pic from quote

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I'm experiencing this as well. Call quality is terrible, I reported it via customer care. But the agent was trying really hard to blame my phone as the source of the issue. please don't stop fighting with them to upgrade to HD voice. Its not like they don't have the bandwidth and frequency to do it. Their AWS spectrum offers them many capacity to offer functionalities like HD voice or VoLTE.
    Precisely... they can definitely do better. They just recently upgraded their network core in December and had the capability (software wise) to do HD Voice & VoLTE over the RAN & Core since 2016! It's 2018 and I'm here struggling to hear people clearly on a $1000+ dollar phone? Madness! Moreover, their 3G network is capable of the added bandwdith requirements for AMR-WB over 3G. If they're hesitant to do VoLTE at LEAST do AMR-WB. Honestly, calls on Digicel are really something else; it's one thing they did right. FLOW has the capability to do better and this is honestly unacceptable. I called them to let them know that I was experiencing the issue I'd outlined and they said that I need 5 users to supply their phone numbers so as to have the issue escalated. It's a cop out... especially when I know the issue lies with recent network changes and the network core.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Apr 28, 2018 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    What kind of phone u using, postpaid or prepaid plan?
    iPhone 8 Plus on PrePaid