Page 39 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    So its said here that FLOW uses Fibre backhaul in kgn and Digi uses microwave links...the question is , what effect does this have on capacity or speed for LTE? Can you explain that please Brandy....also does the microwave link carry only voice or data? Does this have benefits in terms of bad weather and is this the reason why when sometimes i am on a call on my S8+ it sounds like breeze blowing away the conversation, like some wind on the line or such. Oh also i have an unlocked s8+ and i notice that the signal drops to zero very often in hwt not sure if its the sim or what but it happens especially when i am on lte and i miss alot of calls. It just fluctuates often. I actually have a regualr s8 as well and same thing, both on Digicel.... just wondering.
    Microwave links carry voice & data. They are the next best thing in terms of backhaul where fibre or copper isn't available. The only issue with them is the dependence on line-of-sight for high capacity microwave links. Any kind of precipitation can cause what they call 'rain fade', which diminishes the amount of throughput the site can deliver. Nevertheless, the engineers should have taken that into consideration and should have worked tirelessly to mitigate against such a thing. As for the signal fluctuations..... I'd say Digicel was doing some site work but they're so secretive about their plans (which is dumb in 2017) so they may not be for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Site nearest to me is Mount Salem...... the site at Jarrett Park was also upgraded, as was quite a few sites Downtown. The sites covering Fairview were also being pretty responsive too... (they were upgraded as well)
    I'm close by Jarrett Park area.. checked on a Note 3 this morning and wasn't getting LTE...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    I'm close by Jarrett Park area.. checked on a Note 3 this morning and wasn't getting LTE...
    The sites are in testing.... Note the lack of filled in circles.

I had to force LTE in order to get it AND you do need to have one of the Series 07.00 or Series 08.00 SIMs from FLOW to even get LTE. FLOW Fairview should have them but you could wait until they go live with the network and they have the free SIM exchange like they did in Kingston. Series 07.00 are labelled "Prepaid Mobile LTE" and the Series 08.00 is not...

I noticed that the HSPA+ network was feeling a little peppy this morning... as a result, I went to do a speedtest. My RSSI readings were far higher than they usually were. As a result, I tried to see whether I would pick up LTE. Sure enough......

http://i.imgur.com/3Mxx3NA.png

Though I didn't establish a data tunnel through to the network and was eventually kicked off back to 3G, I can OFFICIALLY say that FLOW LTE is not only in Montego Bay but also available in my own house (which is not in the well travelled parts of Montego Bay I might add). Let's see how long it takes them to finish the last of the work on my tower.

Update: I was able to run a speedtest (amazingly) on the downlink before I got handed off to 3G thereafter. Ping and Download were on LTE... upload is on 3G. I think they're actively doing work on my site so I leave them to it lol.
    Great info you have man. Whatever you do, hold off on any updating to iOS 11. Many are saying, along with the change to 4 bars, the dBm signal level indications are removed from field test mode. Or maybe there will be another way to enable. Who knows?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jul 12, 2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: removed large image from quote

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    Great info you have man. Whatever you do, hold off on any updating to iOS 11. Many are saying, along with the change to 4 bars, the dBm signal level indications are removed from field test mode. Or maybe there will be another way to enable. Who knows?
    Have they changed the Field Test Mode for Qualcomm modem iPhones or is it still limited to the iPhones like the 7 that have Intel Basebands?

Have they changed the Field Test Mode for Qualcomm modem iPhones or is it still limited to the iPhones like the 7 that have Intel Basebands?
    EDITED: Seems this may be specific to Intel version. However, I wouldn't be surprised if both versions were affected. The Intel is the GSM only version vs the Qualcomm doing CDMA & GSM>
    Last edited by mista736; Jul 13, 2017 at 06:03 PM.

EDITED: Seems this may be specific to Intel version. However, I wouldn't be surprised if both versions were affected. The Intel is the GSM only version vs the Qualcomm doing CDMA & GSM>
    Yeah.... plus iPhones like the 6s use Qualcomm basebands..... and they haven't been payed any attention at all. Oh well.....

Tested a few sites in town in MoBay... this time, Downtown. Take a look. Mapped it on Rootmetrics too.....

Yeah.... plus iPhones like the 6s use Qualcomm basebands..... and they haven't been payed any attention at all. Oh well.....
    Had a friend with Qualcomm version running iOS 11 try it and all they get is bars in field test mode.

Tested a few sites in town in MoBay... this time, Downtown. Take a look. Mapped it on Rootmetrics too.....
    Good times coming (hopefully) for data users
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jul 13, 2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

Had a friend with Qualcomm version running iOS 11 try it and all they get is bars in field test mode.
    I'm fine with it... as long as I can see the readings in the various menus. iOS 11's boot times are still atrocious, hope they fix that soon.