Page 38 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by mista736 View Post
    I also forgot to mention that the US thing is baked into the software. Using an unlocked direct from Samsung, or another country operator that didn't demand such indication change, would show 3G, H, H+, LTE as opposed to 4G, 4G, 4G, 4G LTE/LTE respectively.
    OK, I know that in the US its either 4G for HSPA/HSPA+ and LTE for 4G. I am waiting for Flow to install and activate LTE where I am.

So.... Opensignal is reporting that some roaming users in Montego Bay are being allowed access to the LTE network. I'm seeing data from a UE_Attach to the eNB at the site by Upper Deck Condominiums. Signal there is indicating levels less than -90 dBm (around 3 or more bars). Light up is fast approaching!
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jul 9, 2017 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    So.... Opensignal is reporting that some roaming users in Montego Bay are being allowed access to the LTE network. I'm seeing data from a UE_Attach to the eNB at the site by Upper Deck Condominiums. Signal there is indicating levels less than -90 dBm (around 3 or more bars). Light up is fast approaching!
    That's great, tell me something. Is the OpenSignal app trustworthy?, I downloaded it a couple days ago. But a lot of users say that it does not give accurate information as it relates to tower location and connection. Its telling me that I am connected to a tower right beside the Red Stripe plant on Spanish town road. Thats about 1.9KM from where I am. Just want to know if you find the app, accurate?. Because if it is, where my connected tower is Cell ID 434543 LAC 103. Should be getting an LTE upgrade, as the surround area is loaded with businesses and communities.

I think Flow will have LTE live in and around the area, where Reggae sumfest will be held. This area will be the first area in Montego Bay to get LTE, after the Airport. And then they will go city and Parish wide in ST James and surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    That's great, tell me something. Is the OpenSignal app trustworthy?, I downloaded it a couple days ago. But a lot of users say that it does not give accurate information as it relates to tower location and connection. Its telling me that I am connected to a tower right beside the Red Stripe plant on Spanish town road. Thats about 1.9KM from where I am. Just want to know if you find the app, accurate?. Because if it is, where my connected tower is Cell ID 434543 LAC 103. Should be getting an LTE upgrade, as the surround area is loaded with businesses and communities.

I think Flow will have LTE live in and around the area, where Reggae sumfest will be held. This area will be the first area in Montego Bay to get LTE, after the Airport. And then they will go city and Parish wide in ST James and surrounding areas.
    I trust Opensignal in regards to their signal data, Radio Access Technology and speedtests. I knew the exact site the user was attached to because I know where the sites are in the area... that specific area in MoBay is served by that site, as it overlooks a good portion of the tourist strip.

A Cell ID 434543 sounds like 850 MHz (If I recall correctly) on Ericsson equipment (LAC of 103 is right.. you're in Kingston). Cell IDs change with specific sector you're on. One can typically identify FLOW's 850 MHz or 1900 MHz sectors by 105XXXX or 109XXXX respectively on their Huawei sites. What I recommend you do is open Field Test mode and observe the changing RSSI values when moving around your area... I can give you some general pointers of what to look for with a FLOW site but you'll need to have a trained eye to distinguish between FLOW & Digicel (FLOW uses fibre in KGN and Digicel sites usually have microwave dishes).

FLOW usually sets up a COW at Sumfest, whether or not it'll be LTE? Who knows? They did say last month that they were pretty advanced in their upgrades so I suppose we'll see it soon.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jul 9, 2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    I trust Opensignal in regards to their signal data, Radio Access Technology and speedtests. I knew the exact site the user was attached to because I know where the sites are in the area... that specific area in MoBay is served by that site, as it overlooks a good portion of the tourist strip.

A Cell ID 434543 sounds like 850 MHz (If I recall correctly) on Ericsson equipment (LAC of 103 is right.. you're in Kingston). Cell IDs change with specific sector you're on. One can typically identify FLOW's 850 MHz or 1900 MHz sectors by 105XXXX or 109XXXX respectively on their Huawei sites. What I recommend you do is open Field Test mode and observe the changing RSSI values when moving around your area... I can give you some general pointers of what to look for with a FLOW site but you'll need to have a trained eye to distinguish between FLOW & Digicel (FLOW uses fibre in KGN and Digicel sites usually have microwave dishes).

FLOW usually sets up a COW at Sumfest, whether or not it'll be LTE? Who knows? They did say last month that they were pretty advanced in their upgrades so I suppose we'll see it soon.
    OK, thank you. The cell ID 434543 is what OpenSignal app says I'm connected to. But when I enter the service mode on my phone it says for cell ID 41327. So that is why I was questioning the accuracy of the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    OK, thank you. The cell ID 434543 is what OpenSignal app says I'm connected to. But when I enter the service mode on my phone it says for cell ID 41327. So that is why I was questioning the accuracy of the app.
    It can be a bit inaccurate but for the most part, apart from tower info, it's pretty reliable.

I noticed that the HSPA+ network was feeling a little peppy this morning... as a result, I went to do a speedtest. My RSSI readings were far higher than they usually were. As a result, I tried to see whether I would pick up LTE. Sure enough......

Though I didn't establish a data tunnel through to the network and was eventually kicked off back to 3G, I can OFFICIALLY say that FLOW LTE is not only in Montego Bay but also available in my own house (which is not in the well travelled parts of Montego Bay I might add). Let's see how long it takes them to finish the last of the work on my tower.

Update: I was able to run a speedtest (amazingly) on the downlink before I got handed off to 3G thereafter. Ping and Download were on LTE... upload is on 3G. I think they're actively doing work on my site so I leave them to it lol.

Last edited by Brandysull; Jul 10, 2017 at 05:25 AM.

What location in Mobay is this?

So its said here that FLOW uses Fibre backhaul in kgn and Digi uses microwave links...the question is , what effect does this have on capacity or speed for LTE? Can you explain that please Brandy....also does the microwave link carry only voice or data? Does this have benefits in terms of bad weather and is this the reason why when sometimes i am on a call on my S8+ it sounds like breeze blowing away the conversation, like some wind on the line or such. Oh also i have an unlocked s8+ and i notice that the signal drops to zero very often in hwt not sure if its the sim or what but it happens especially when i am on lte and i miss alot of calls. It just fluctuates often. I actually have a regualr s8 as well and same thing, both on Digicel.... just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    What location in Mobay is this?
    Site nearest to me is Mount Salem...... the site at Jarrett Park was also upgraded, as was quite a few sites Downtown. The sites covering Fairview were also being pretty responsive too... (they were upgraded as well)
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jul 10, 2017 at 12:02 PM.