Page 30 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Good Lord, New Plans?. I wonder if they have answered my request and prayers for unlimited YouTube streaming?. Whats the news on the LTE progress so far?. These plans seem to be aligned with the LTE roll out phases?.
    LOL, I haven't any specifics yet but what do I have specifics on is on their LTE rollout. Seemingly overnight, majority of their sites have new antenna installations (for anyone curious, they are the Huawei ADU4518R7) and new RRUs. 3G has also shown marked improvement. Sites maintain their original 1900 MHz panels but now the 850 MHz layer is located on the new antennas. These panels are low band/high band antennas. Needless to say... LTE should fully live in Montego Bay in July. Testing is ongoing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    LOL, I haven't any specifics yet but what do I have specifics on is on their LTE rollout. Seemingly overnight, majority of their sites have new antenna installations (for anyone curious, they are the Huawei ADU4518R7) and new RRUs. 3G has also shown marked improvement. Sites maintain their original 1900 MHz panels but now the 850 MHz layer is located on the new antennas. These panels are low band/high band antennas. Needless to say... LTE should fully live in Montego Bay in July. Testing is ongoing right now.
    OK, LOL, does the new antenna installations mean faster 3G/HSPA+ speeds?. Also is this island wide, or just in Montego Bay?. I assume Friday will be the day they announce their new data plans, they did that when they launched the Flow LYF data plans. I am eager to see what they are comming with, Hope a YouTube plan is their. Re guarding LTE, once Montego Bay and the major tourist areas are finished being tested and covered. We should see the official launch of the service, correct?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    OK, LOL, does the new antenna installations mean faster 3G/HSPA+ speeds?. Also is this island wide, or just in Montego Bay?. I assume Friday will be the day they announce their new data plans, they did that when they launched the Flow LYF data plans. I am eager to see what they are comming with, Hope a YouTube plan is their. Re guarding LTE, once Montego Bay and the major tourist areas are finished being tested and covered. We should see the official launch of the service, correct?.
    The new antennas (used only in Huawei markets i.e. the North Coast) have new technologies that help it to deliver better throughput a bit farther than before and also more efficiently. The improvement we see is as a result of that and not an actual upgrade to HSPA+ (which is pretty much no longer a major focus for them... only for when Circuit switchdowns need to be done for calling). The upgrades are happening in phases... I happen to know where next is getting a taste of LTE after MoBay & the rest of the North Coast goes live but I'll leave that up to Mr. Price to say . The sites are pretty much left to be commissioned (which takes a couple minutes) and then we'll have glorious wideband LTE all over Montego Bay and select areas on the North Coast. (Side Note: I was happy to see that the sites nearest my home was also upgraded with new antennas and new RRUs... they're taking this thing seriously man!)

I haven't any clue really what the plans entail but I'll let you guys know when I have a bit more info. Hopefully it includes larger data buckets (and few of my other recommendations lol)

I would ask why they are using both Ericsson and Huawei equipment in the same country but its probably to negotiate better terms since both companies would be competing for business.

Enjoy the greater coverage and I hope LTE launches soon for those on the North Coast. Kingston and St. Catherine tend to get the goodies first so its nice to see the other side of the island getting love.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I would ask why they are using both Ericsson and Huawei equipment in the same country but its probably to negotiate better terms since both companies would be competing for business.

Enjoy the greater coverage and I hope LTE launches soon for those on the North Coast. Kingston and St. Catherine tend to get the goodies first so its nice to see the other side of the island getting love.
    The decision came down to cost.... Huawei equipment is waaay less fault prone than Ericsson equipment (as per C&WJ's data). Huawei equipment is much like ZTE's wherein a lot of the parts of the RAN are software based (like where the Ericsson RBS6000 used on the South Coast needs a Digital Unit for LTE which would be linked to an RUS B4 for instance and then fibre fed to the antennas which may have TMAs & all the other mast-head drama, Huawei only needs a connection to the Baseband up to the RRU which feds the integrated antenna via fibre). Huawei simplifies alot of that and it fits the needs of the North Coast (which is mostly rural) pefectly. Huawei is also excellent as they are toe-to-toe with Ericsson in terms of technology. The RRUs fitted to the sites are capable of 4x2 & 4x4 MIMO and are also backwards compatible (save for Band 4 RRUs). Huawei sites also take up less footprint too.

LTE is well needed in Montego Bay and its environs... the uptick in data consumption had rendered their '4G' network here all but unusable at peak periods. LTE will lighten the load on the '4G' layer and will allow people in MoBay to actually get LTE wherever they are rather than only at the airport (which is also decked out with the new antennas too). Other areas in this upgrade are Ocho Rios, St. Ann's Bay and Falmouth....
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jun 21, 2017 at 11:09 PM.

I think they might announce NEW COMBO PREPAID PLANS....if not then i would be really surprise...plans with data talk and text

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    I think they might announce NEW COMBO PREPAID PLANS....if not then i would be really surprise...plans with data talk and text
    They have them elsewhere so it wouldn't surprise me tbh

I just got a look at OpenSignal's user reported data in Kingston... They have FLOW besting Digicel's download speeds on average by 52%

In Downtown Kingston, FLOW more than doubles Digicel's average download speed.... This had me floored. Right in Digicel's stomping grounds!

Who said competiton was dead?
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jun 27, 2017 at 02:42 AM.

Digicel has far more people on their network....

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Digicel has far more people on their network....
    Or... it's indicative of one network investing in their network more than other? I mean.... the average speeds weren't amazing to begin with (nor is FLOW's if I'm being honest... it's 2017 and most North American carriers are clocking averages upwards of 20 Mbit/s in busy metro areas like Verizon in Manhattan. FLOW's performance there is analogous to AT&T in Manhattan; good but much room for improvement)

You would think that after a year since launching LTE that Digicel would have at least covered MoBay totally in addition to other important towns on the North Coast? Or even other important places like Mandeville, May Pen etc. The most they've done is add a 1900 MHz channel to their '4G' network to which they push 3G Voice traffic and reselect 850 MHz after the call has ended... I'm very disappointed in Digicel to be very honest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯