Page 56 of 83 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Default Lumia 950 Dual Sim

I got a message from FLOW earlier today that they are giving away free LTE sim cards. My concern is will my Lumia 950 dual sim phone be able to access FLOW'S LTE network?

And what is B5 850?

Quote Originally Posted by dehyah View Post
    I got a message from FLOW earlier today that they are giving away free LTE sim cards. My concern is will my Lumia 950 dual sim phone be able to access FLOW'S LTE network?

And what is B5 850?
    Well, if your Lumia 950 has LTE Band 4 (1700/2100) then it'll be able to access the network. B5 850 means LTE Band 5 i.e. 850 MHz, the same frequency that FLOW runs 2G and 3G on... They do not operate LTE on that frequency though.

And what is B5 850?
    You're Device should be able to access LTE from Flow and Digicel. Depending from which region the device was purchase, that will determine if you're device can access LTE from Flow.

I Googled some information about you're specific device, and found that the Lumia 950 does have compatible bands for both carriers. Flows LTE Network operates on Band 4 1700/2100 Mhz LTE. While Digicel uses Band 17 700 Mhz LTE.

Lumia 950 for the International and US Markets both support LTE Bands for both carriers. So you are good to go, just go into a store. And request a new LTE sim card.

B5 850 stands for Band 5 on the 850 Mhz frequency. Which can be used for both LTE and improved 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    You're Device should be able to access LTE from Flow and Digicel. Depending from which region the device was purchase, that will determine if you're device can access LTE from Flow.

I Googled some information about you're specific device, and found that the Lumia 950 does have compatible bands for both carriers. Flows LTE Network operates on Band 4 1700/2100 Mhz LTE. While Digicel uses Band 17 700 Mhz LTE.

Lumia 950 for the International and US Markets both support LTE Bands for both carriers. So you are good to go, just go into a store. And request a new LTE sim card.

B5 850 stands for Band 5 on the 850 Mhz frequency. Which can be used for both LTE and improved 3G.
    Which is AWS 1 , will I keep my cell number?

Do you find a lot of phones on the AWS LTE Band?

Fortunately, I was able to get a world phone. When Microsoft comes out with its foldable mini tablet with telephony will be a world phone as well.
    Last edited by dehyah; Dec 15, 2017 at 06:39 AM.

Which is AWS 1 , will I keep my cell number?

Do you find a lot of phones on the AWS LTE Band?

Fortunately, I was able to get a world phone. When Microsoft comes out with its foldable mini tablet with telephony will be a world phone as well.
    Yes you will be able to keep you're current number.

AWS LTE is widely used in North America and in some sections of South and Central America, as well as here in the Caribbean. Sepecifically Antigua and Barbuda, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. It is a wideband LTE technology, with good coverage and fairly well mobile retention. AWS is used by all four major US carriers, at one time. AWS was the main LTE band for T-MOBILE and Verizon.
    AWS LTE since about 2014 has been on most Premium Flagship phones. Especially for the US and unlocked Global models. While the 700Mhz band is more desirable, AWS LTE and all it's blocks. Stand shoulder to shoulder with band 17 700Mhz LTE. 700Mhz LTE has two main advantages. One being that it gives way more coverage with less enode B's (LTE cell phone tower). And it has superior penetration capabilities. AWS built out and configured right. Has great potential, as we have seen with Flows LTE Network.

Ok.... getting Flow LTE few places in Mobay now.... Westgate Hills/Bogue Village/Downtown

---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Notice that LTE started picking up today on Marcus Garvey Drive.

Only getting 1-2 bars tho. So looks like the testing is on.

Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Ok.... getting Flow LTE few places in Mobay now.... Westgate Hills/Bogue Village/Downtown

https://preview.ibb.co/bYzQvR/flte.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/h5Y79m/flte2.jpg
    Care to record these tests with Opensignal & Rootmetrics' CoverageMap app?

Again... Gorgeous speeds on FLOW's part. I can tell you in particular, FLOW's had been hard at work integrating those Huawei sites since the summer. I can actually now say that the majority of sites in MoBay, from the St. James/Trelawny border and way out into Sandy Bay & Hopewell are broadcasting LTE, are all pushing out 150 Mbit/s. MoBay is also the site of their second core network, maintaining their tradition of keeping Western Jamaica and Eastern Jamaica on separate core networks. I was privileged to have been able to use the network in the summer while it was still in its infancy and had been quite astonished at the reduced latency times and coverage. Now that FLOW has 2 vendors under their belt for LTE deployment, subsequent upgrades will take far less time. Oh, and the 100G DWDM network must be quite beastly to be able to substain 1 Gbit/s fibre backhaul to each site.... Some first world stuff here guys

Now for Digicel's turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Notice that LTE started picking up today on Marcus Garvey Drive.

Only getting 1-2 bars tho. So looks like the testing is on.

https://i.imgur.com/xWwZgWp.png
    Doesn't seem like testing to me... How far are you from the site? Speeds seem pretty solid to me!

Here are a couple more speed tests that I did within the Mandeville metro area:

The first one was done in the town center, less than a hundred feet from the cell tower. The other was done in Williamsfield, about 1.5km from the cell tower.
    Last edited by nigel20; Dec 15, 2017 at 06:06 PM.