Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Great... even more confusion...
    IKR... Apparently, they're implementing Ericsson Software 15A, which includes 'software value packages such as HD Voice, multi-carrier mobility and load management'... This is why I said to pay no mind to Garry Sinclar lol. One part is evident, they've become exceedingly better at load management as well as them adding multi-carrier capability on 3G... LTE however......... that's the mystery
    Last edited by Brandysull; Oct 14, 2016 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    IKR... Apparently, they're implementing Ericsson Software 15A, which includes 'software value packages such as HD Voice, multi-carrier mobility and load management'... This is why I said to pay no mind to Garry Sinclar lol. One part is evident, they've become exceedingly better at load management as well as them adding multi-carrier capability on 3G... LTE however......... that's the mystery
    The question to be asked is what does this mean for Jamaica

In their livestream today, FLOW said that they've received word from the SMA that they've been awarded 700 MHz spectrum. In addition to this, they have (without a timeline however) confirmed that Kingston, St. Andrew and St. Catherine will be the first for their soon to launch LTE network. They have been directed by their parent company, Liberty Global, to stop selling Voice-only handsets and to only sell data-capable handsets as well as invest in faster data networks. A formal press release has not been released however.

In their livestream today, FLOW said that they've received word from the SMA that they've been awarded 700 MHz spectrum. In addition to this, they have (without a timeline however) confirmed that Kingston, St. Andrew and St. Catherine will be the first for their soon to launch LTE network. They have been directed by their parent company, Liberty Global, to stop selling Voice-only handsets and to only sell data-capable handsets as well as invest in faster data networks. A formal press release has not been released however.
    700MHz(larger coverage area) that's great how ever last time i heard they were going for Band 4(1700/2100)(more capacity) though both would be great.
    HP Notebook - 15-af131dx
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 APU 2 GHz with Radeon HD 8400 Graphics,8 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by clemull View Post
    700MHz(larger coverage area) that's great how ever last time i heard they were going for Band 4(1700/2100)(more capacity) though both would be great.
    They're going to enable carrier aggregation across 700 & 1700/2100 which would essentially allow the network to provide speeds up to 150 Mbit/s (10 MHz AWS and 10 MHz Band 13) to Cat. 4 LTE phones and up. I suppose they have LTE sites up with carrier aggregation (as per the press release CWC did earlier this week). Let's see what comes of this. This by the way is what we call LTE-A. The new network 'expansion' deal they signed with Ericsson enables carrier aggregation on both 3G (DC-HSDPA or DC-HSPA+) and LTE (LTE-A) on the RAN. They have acquired additional spectrum in markets like the British Virgin Islands (where they are using Band 2 and either 13 or 17). They already are seeing speeds of 40 Mbit/s on tests on that network without carrier aggregation enabled (they have screenshots). This Liberty Global deal is beginning to show now (thankfully)... and hopefully we should see some LTE sites up by December or early 2017. This is just a tip of the iceberg however. They may choose to launch VoLTE here or even VoWiFi (also, as per the press release)... So many possibilities.

Liberty is pushing for adoption of new technology and fast-tracking adoption. It was a matter of time before they let FLOW Jamaica know their plans for the market. FLOW now offers combo plans for their prepaid customers across the Caribbean and is coming to Jamaica as well. They have bundled talk, text and data in the form of the S, M, X, XL and XXL plans. They're similar to the Smart plans by Digicel but that isn't a Caribbean wide thing (muchless company-wide). It mirrors Liberty's strategy in markets like the Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland.

Digicel I suppose may be acquiring additional spectrum for their network too but they're super secretive about this stuff :/
    Last edited by Brandysull; Oct 20, 2016 at 11:41 PM.

FLOW better follow Tmobile and whitelist some apps or websites for free streaming. I am surprised they dont have free whatsapp on their data plans since they already have some partnership/agreement with the company. It would be smart if they allow streaming like how xfinity comcast does.

They may choose to launch VoLTE here or even VoWiFi (also, as per the press release)
    Now that is just toying with my emotions.

I've been waiting forever for our providers to improve voice call quality and that would certainly be one way to do it. I would gladly dedicate some of my upstream bandwidth if I could just hear the person on the other end while I'm in my house.

FLOW LTE, now live at 10 cell sites in the corporate area. Stay tuned, more to come! (Taken from a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 - screenshots aren't my own)

Note: The network is open to the public (with no additional tariff) however, you will need a compatible LTE SIM card to be able to take advantage of the network. iPhone compatibility is undetermined but I will update you all when I get more information.

Last edited by Brandysull; Dec 12, 2016 at 08:57 PM.

FLOW LTE, now live at 10 cell sites in the corporate area. Stay tuned, more to come! (Taken from a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 - screenshots aren't my own)

Note: The network is open to the public (with no additional tariff) however, you will need a compatible LTE SIM card to be able to take advantage of the network. iPhone compatibility is undetermined but I will update you all when I get more information.

http://i.imgur.com/qlLED2t.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/RwZAwqU.jpg
    This is great news, Is 10 cell sites enough for the corporate area?. I don't think that is enough, but they did say that they are giving customers a feel of the LTE Network to come. Do you know if the Huawei G8 has LTE capabilities?, and is it compatible with Flows upcomming Network?. I cannot find any LTE specs for this device.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Dec 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: removed large pics from quote

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    This is great news, Is 10 cell sites enough for the corporate area?. I don't think that is enough, but they did say that they are giving customers a feel of the LTE Network to come. Do you know if the Huawei G8 has LTE capabilities?, and is it compatible with Flows upcomming Network?. I cannot find any LTE specs for this device.
    They have not covered the entire corporate area but they should be done doing so by end of Q1 2017. I can't tell the exact number of sites but they plan to do WAY more than 10... They're essentially matching Digicel's coverage.

The SKU that FLOW has (of the Huawei G8) is likely the RIO-L03 (Single SIM) which has North American Bands for WCDMA & LTE i.e. it is compatible with their network.