Page 72 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

They still exist. Digicel & FLOW signed a tower sharing agreement in 2015 and since then I've seen a number of co-located sites. Digicel started using FLOW's tower in Greenwood, St. James recently. The converse is true in other instances. FLOW & Digicel do maintain their own footprint in urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    They still exist. Digicel & FLOW signed a tower sharing agreement in 2015 and since then I've seen a number of co-located sites. Digicel started using FLOW's tower in Greenwood, St. James recently. The converse is true in other instances. FLOW & Digicel do maintain their own footprint in urban areas.
    They need to share more. There are lots of places where one has service and the other doesn't. Outright.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Some more information as to the LTE rollout by FLOW... They concluded the first "trials" of LTE Band 2 and are now deploying it more widely in places like Montego Bay and along the north coast. It's also being deployed along the coast in areas that haven't LTE at all. From what I'm hearing is after this they'll be focusing on the provisioning of voice over LTE. I haven't any word on Kingston but whenever I sight Band 2 there it'll probably tiltout pass 200 Mbit/s given how superior Ericsson's equipment is. As to a coverage advantage? At least in Montego Bay, both operators are pretty much neck and neck. There are some places Digicel LTE picks up well and FLOW is on a single bar of LTE or 850 MHz 3G (which in MoBay is unusable in most cases). There are some places where FLOW has a coverage advantage; full LTE tilting past 60 Mbit/s in a congested area whilst Digicel is on 3G or a single bar of LTE. I suppose Band 2 will make this difference less apparent but I'll have to discuss further with FLOW as to what Band 2 obtains in terms of future strategy.

Some more information as to the LTE rollout by FLOW... They concluded the first "trials" of LTE Band 2 and are now deploying it more widely in places like Montego Bay and along the north coast. It's also being deployed along the coast in areas that haven't LTE at all. From what I'm hearing is after this they'll be focusing on the provisioning of voice over LTE. I haven't any word on Kingston but whenever I sight Band 2 there it'll probably tiltout pass 200 Mbit/s given how superior Ericsson's equipment is. As to a coverage advantage? At least in Montego Bay, both operators are pretty much neck and neck. There are some places Digicel LTE picks up well and FLOW is on a single bar of LTE or 850 MHz 3G (which in MoBay is unusable in most cases). There are some places where FLOW has a coverage advantage; full LTE tilting past 60 Mbit/s in a congested area whilst Digicel is on 3G or a single bar of LTE. I suppose Band 2 will make this difference less apparent but I'll have to discuss further with FLOW as to what Band 2 obtains in terms of future strategy.
    Will voice over LTE be across the entire Network?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Will voice over LTE be across the entire Network?.
    Should be. Also, some Digicel users are reporting 4G+ (LTE Advanced) on their phone in Kingston. I guess they're optimizing that 10 MHz slice of Band 4 they purchased. FLOW must be working to deploy Band 2 in Kingston haha

Should be. Also, some Digicel users are reporting 4G+ (LTE Advanced) on their phone in Kingston. I guess they're optimizing that 10 MHz slice of Band 4 they purchased. FLOW must be working to deploy Band 2 in Kingston haha
    Really? Any idea of the speeds?. What max speeds do you think this new optimize LTE network will have. Wish I could see a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Really? Any idea of the speeds?. What max speeds do you think this new optimize LTE network will have. Wish I could see a screenshot.
    I'll soon have one but in the interm I think it will be the long ballyhooed 120 Mbit/s is what we will be getting. FLOW's network in Kingston has given me up to 147 Mbit/s on Band 4 alone. It can compete but Band 2 will up the ante.

I'll soon have one but in the interm I think it will be the long ballyhooed 120 Mbit/s is what we will be getting. FLOW's network in Kingston has given me up to 147 Mbit/s on Band 4 alone. It can compete but Band 2 will up the ante.
    OK, I wonder if Digicel will offer LTE-A in my area. I hope they blanket all of Kingston and ST Andrew with LTE-A. I hope they can also improve on Thier customer service.

Liberty Latin America has a new sheriff in town, the former Executive Vice President & CTO of Dish Network, Vivek Khemka, is now LiLAC's CTO & Chief Product Officer. He was behind the the strategy of Dish's lineup of Hopper-branded whole-home DVRs, including the top-of-the-line 4K-capable and Internet-connected Hopper 3. He comes with a great knowledge of the cable business. With all these first rate execs on LiLAC's team, no wonder FLOW is building out so much.

Also, I'm hearing rumblings of a 20x20 MHz, Band 2 LTE layer coming (after the GSM 1900 MHz shutdown) to complement FLOW's 20x20 MHz AWS spectrum in Kingston. If this is true, We'll be seeing speeds touching 300 Mbit/s and if done with the Ericsson ERS radios, 4x4 MIMO & 256QAM would make speeds go up to a max of 800 Mbit/s. Make it even worse is if they decide to also deploy LTE-A Pro which adds LTE-Unlicensed. Speeds would easily touch past 1 Gbit/s; FLOW having done tests on Ericsson's equipment instills confidence in me that we'd be seeing something big soon from FLOW in that department.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Aug 28, 2018 at 01:38 AM.

Liberty Latin America has a new sheriff in town, the former Executive Vice President & CTO of Dish Network, Vivek Khemka, is now LiLAC's CTO & Chief Product Officer. He was behind the the strategy of Dish's lineup of Hopper-branded whole-home DVRs, including the top-of-the-line 4K-capable and Internet-connected Hopper 3. He comes with a great knowledge of the cable business. With all these first rate execs on LiLAC's team, no wonder FLOW is building out so much.

Also, I'm hearing rumblings of a 20x20 MHz, Band 2 LTE layer coming (after the GSM 1900 MHz shutdown) to complement FLOW's 20x20 MHz AWS spectrum in Kingston. If this is true, We'll be seeing speeds touching 300 Mbit/s and if done with the Ericsson ERS radios, 4x4 MIMO & 256QAM would make speeds go up to a max of 800 Mbit/s. Make it even worse is if they decide to also deploy LTE-A Pro which adds LTE-Unlicensed. Speeds would easily touch past 1 Gbit/s; FLOW having done tests on Ericsson's equipment instills confidence in me that we'd be seeing something big soon from FLOW in that department.
    This sounds great, I hope it's true. As in the Facebook live chat, Flow Jamaica MD. Indicated that Flow will be introducing fixed LTE broadband. So all this will require more speed and capacity. I want this to be true, Flow is going state of the art first world technology here in Jamaica.