Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    First thing you should be aware of is that LTE does only data no voice or should I say the voice part (VoLTE). is not widespread as yet. So when you are not using LTE you would fall back to HSPA+.

Based on that it is possible that FLOW has some LTE only sites or the OpenSignal app can't determine that the one site has both LTE and HSPA+ services and list them as different towers. In actuality both services might still be operating from the same physical location albeit over different radio frequencies.
    In fact, ALL of their sites have HSPA+ running still... on 850 MHz and 1900 MHz... The issue is that FLOW & Digicel doesn't label all Cell IDs on a single tower the same... Sectors may have similar numbering schemes like 1053319 or 1093319 wherein the third digit is indictative of 850 or 19 00 MHz. The last 4 digits signify the Sector ID. The only way one can truly find the location of a tower is through an actual coordinates.... everything else is purely an estimate.

Great so you confirmed my suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    ...In actuality both services might still be operating from the same physical location albeit over different radio frequencies.

I got a Flow LTE sim and got no LTE in Mobay town or out Fairview.

I thought the network was in pre-launch and up and running???

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post

The LTE Network hasn't fully open yet to the public, the vast majority of Montego Bay and its environs have LTE Coverage I believe. Brandysull did confirm widespread LTE coverage across Montego Bay. Mind you, they are still in test mode. And make sure that you're device is Band 4 AWS 1700/2100 MHz compatiable. If you are uisng a Dual Sim Device, make sure the SIM Card from Flow is in Slot one (which is usually the slot for 4G LTE).

Just give them sometime, I am sure they will soon open the LTE network to the public, its stil early in the month. So we just have to wait, they did indicate that they are advance in the tower upgrades and installations, so just look out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post

It is but they are going on-air (allowing devices to register on the LTE network) in this month... If you can, if you force LTE mode on your device you'll get the network with data but no calls, texts or USSD (because you're only registered on the MME but it refuses an exchange of information with the MSC on the SGs interface because the network has not been put on air just yet). If its any consolation, they just lit up towers on Mandela Highway so I suppose we're next in line....

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    It is but they are going on-air (allowing devices to register on the LTE network) in this month... If you can, if you force LTE mode on your device you'll get the network with data but no calls, texts or USSD (because you're only registered on the MME but it refuses an exchange of information with the MSC on the SGs interface because the network has not been put on air just yet). If its any consolation, they just lit up towers on Mandela Highway so I suppose we're next in line....
    I thought that Kingston and ST Catherine switch on was in September, early October?. I guess they are moving fast ahead, base on you're information. Is all of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios covered with LTE?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I thought that Kingston and ST Catherine switch on was in September, early October?. I guess they are moving fast ahead, base on you're information. Is all of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios covered with LTE?.
    Yeah, they covered all of MoBay and Ocho Rios... I do recall last week they were doing installations on a hub site (which also happens to be where the MSC & MME for Western Jamaica is located)... mostly cable management as the equipment was already installed. They've probably finished with all that as devices are now being instructed to stay on 850 MHz 3G and are trying to establish a connection on the LTE network. I reached out to FLOW and they'll advise me when exactly they'll be lighting up in short order.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Aug 10, 2017 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Yeah, they covered all of MoBay and Ocho Rios... I do recall last week they were doing installations on a hub site (which also happens to be where the MSC & MME for Western Jamaica is located)... mostly cable management as the equipment was already installed. They've probably finished with all that as devices are now being instructed to stay on 850 MHz 3G and are trying to establish a connection on the LTE network. I reached out to FLOW and they'll advise me when exactly they'll be lighting up in short order.
    OK Great, I know I have annoyed you and asked you this question a million times. But is there any information as it relates to Kingston and ST Andrew city wide coverage?. I dont know if you know, if all or most of the towers in KMR have LTE upgrades, but have not been powered on as yet?.

God I am so desperate to have LTE in my area and all of Kingston and ST Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    OK Great, I know I have annoyed you and asked you this question a million times.
    Brandysull, if you ever want me to ban this guy for annoying you with so many questions, let me know.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Brandysull, if you ever want me to ban this guy for annoying you with so many questions, let me know.
    LOL Nooooo! He always questions many people want to ask but haven't bothered to ask.

To answer your question though Nathan77791, I'm unsure as to the progress of the upgrades in progress in Kingston BUT I can say this.... It takes at least a month or so (from what I'm seeing) for testing and integration to conclude so they may very well have installed all the equipment already... You might not have seen them doing it however as they do these things in the night or wee hours of the morning.