Page 77 of 83 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Anyone else having issues with Flow data?. Specifically LTE?. A message keeps coming on my phone saying I have no data service. It comes up frequently I'm the early hours of morning and late night.
    Happening every day. It is becoming annoying.

It's at least 5 times per day. Annoying.. So much that I start ignoring my phone or switch to Digicel sim
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Take a look at this exerpt from the Gleaner's write-up on FLOW today.

Confirms everything I'd been saying earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Take a look at this exerpt from the Gleaner's write-up on FLOW today. https://i.imgur.com/PCv54Td.png Confirms everything I'd been saying earlier.
    So, they're officially abandoning the low end - the numerical lion's share - of the prepaid market? I suspect, as usual, they've read the market wrongly and will come to rue this decision. Even moreso if prepaid receipts are expected to significantly impact their bottom-line. I hardly think the public will be taken in by the smoke and mirrors surrounding the "unlimited WhatsApp plans" and the hemorrhaging of prepaid customers should continue apace. Ultimately their state-of-the-art, blazing-fast, network will be wastefully under-utilized and then, perhaps, they will come to their senses and belatedly realize they're no longer a monopoly: Unless Digicel collapses under the weight of its problems, and then we'll all have hell to pay
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: removed large pic from quote

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    So, they're officially abandoning the low end - the numerical lion's share - of the prepaid market? I suspect, as usual, they've read the market wrongly and will come to rue this decision. Even moreso if prepaid receipts are expected to significantly impact their bottom-line. I hardly think the public will be taken in by the smoke and mirrors surrounding the "unlimited WhatsApp plans" and the hemorrhaging of prepaid customers should continue apace. Ultimately their state-of-the-art, blazing-fast, network will be wastefully under-utilized and then, perhaps, they will come to their senses and belatedly realize they're no longer a monopoly: Unless Digicel collapses under the weight of its problems, and then we'll all have hell to pay
    What Flow is trying to do is to increase the higher tier usage. By offering premium services and value. Digicel too will have to make the move along this route. NO company can survive and grow its bottom line with the Low Jamaican ARPU demands. It's just not possible, Digicel has to be secretly increasing its data services to be feasible. I agree that Flow can construct plans, That offer unlimited data or data for streaming video services. They are rolling out LTE A, data will be massively faster. So maybe the will increase allotments to complement the new network. If not this year, then early 2019.

What Flow is trying to do is to increase the higher tier usage. By offering premium services and value. Digicel too will have to make the move along this route. NO company can survive and grow its bottom line with the Low Jamaican ARPU demands. It's just not possible, Digicel has to be secretly increasing its data services to be feasible. I agree that Flow can construct plans, That offer unlimited data or data for streaming video services. They are rolling out LTE A, data will be massively faster. So maybe the will increase allotments to complement the new network. If not this year, then early 2019.
    I think Makara missed the point. The goal is to derive higher ARPU on the very basic tiers as a result of higher investment(s) in LTE and making it more pervasive. This really links back to the fact that LTE subscriptions and LiLAC's growth imperatives are directly related to adding new RGUs which, as per their internal terminology, includes the migration of the user base(s) of their various business units to 30 day tariffs with bundled talk & text. It makes the provisioning of things like region-wide free roaming easier and more practicable (they've already included roaming for all combo plans for free; you'll soon be able to use you FLOW JM data in other FLOW countries for no additional cost). We're not moving away from the lower end aspect of the market but being more encouraging to consumers to seek more comprehensive and better thought out plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    I think Makara missed the point. The goal is to derive higher ARPU on the very basic tiers as a result of higher investment(s) in LTE and making it more pervasive. This really links back to the fact that LTE subscriptions and LiLAC's growth imperatives are directly related to adding new RGUs which, as per their internal terminology, includes the migration of the user base(s) of their various business units to 30 day tariffs with bundled talk & text. It makes the provisioning of things like region-wide free roaming easier and more practicable (they've already included roaming for all combo plans for free; you'll soon be able to use you FLOW JM data in other FLOW countries for no additional cost). We're not moving away from the lower end aspect of the market but being more encouraging to consumers to seek more comprehensive and better thought out plans.
    Perhaps the misreading lies elsewhere. I have hitherto contended that, as things are, the lower regions are been neglected, with the focus being much higher up the scale - they've now, de facto, confirmed this as official policy. Improving ARPU can of course be achieved via judicious market differentiation - effectively catering to each segment - but that's not what Flow is doing. It is instead attempting to coerce the lower end into assuming the spending habits of the higher tiers. This will almost surely fail. Partly because the spending power, in reality, doesn't exist and also because they have much better alternatives: Data is king and for about half the price of Flow's cheapest 30day plan, they can secure a better plan with the competition. While some persons derive a kind of psychological thrill from observing impressive speed tests, others are focused on value for money. Although the intention is to "migrate" low-end users to the higher tiers, the expected result, imho, is a continued exodus. Hence, in effect, they're abandoning that segment. It would be interesting to know what Flow's time horizon is for recouping their LTE investment spend. Perhaps as a kind of surrogate for the company you might know?
    Last edited by Makara; Nov 16, 2018 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    Perhaps the misreading lies elsewhere. I have hitherto contended that, as things are, the lower regions are been neglected, with the focus being much higher up the scale - they've now, de facto, confirmed this as official policy. Improving ARPU can of course be achieved via judicious market differentiation - effectively catering to each segment - but that's not what Flow is doing. It is instead attempting to coerce the lower end into assuming the spending habits of the higher tiers. This will almost surely fail. Partly because the spending power, in reality, doesn't exist and also because they have much better alternatives: Data is king and for about half the price of Flow's cheapest 30day plan, they can secure a better plan with the competition. While some persons derive a kind of psychological thrill from observing impressive speed tests, others are focused on value for money. Although the intention is to "migrate" low-end users to the higher tiers, the expected result, imho, is a continued exodus. Hence, in effect, they're abandoning that segment. It would be interesting to know what Flow's time horizon is for recouping their LTE investment spend. Perhaps as a kind of surrogate for the company you might know?
    Again, I see your point but what I am trying to highlight is something completely different. You're absolutely spot on with regard to targeted segmented pricing strategies as more apt implement for maximizing user base but it is, at least in my view, myopic. Jamaica's macroeconomic indicators are indicative of a market primed for a data explosion. With the advent of new multinationals from advanced economies looking to invest in Jamaica to even Jamaicans having better access to capital, it is important that the infrastructure to support these investments exist beforehand. I also completely understand your concern as to a seeming vaccum being created at the lower tier of service with FLOW's re-orientation to the market's more prosperous tiers but I, again, hasten to differ. The type of offerings being sought by LLA/FLOW Jamaica are unlike any other we'd have seen here. With a focus on 100% high quality network availability and a smooth glidepath to 5G, FLOW is essentially mandated to build a network with the trappings of any "first world" telco. Perhaps the strategy presupposes that this will engender some type of maturing of the market but whilst ill-advised as you'd have suggested, I think it spells well for Jamaica & the wider region. In order for the bigger heads in London, Denver and Miami to come to a consensus to sink large volumes of cash into markets like Jamaica, Panama and Puerto Rico means that we are seen as a key organic growth driver for the overall business. To match efforts in much more multichotomous markets like Panama, Chile and even the UK, Ireland and wider Europe, Liberty Group/Liberty Latin America has decided to move from the typically reserved & reactionary type of investments and go big with LTE as the main product on mobile so as to achieve higher synergies with fixed line, broadband and video - adding more RGUs and better revenue numbers overall. Another important point to note is that whilst FLOW's subscription numbers are lower, their ARPU is far higher than the competition's to the point where CWC-wide Mobile ARPU would have been $17.48 USD up to September 30, 2017 & $16.75 USD on September 30, 2018 with a decline resulting from the impacted islands from Hurricane Irma and Maria; net-adds were lead by Jamaica & Chile. My final point as to FLOW's rebasing efforts on more lucrative market segments in the short term is the rise of the "millennial". Each millenial is different but certainly they prove far more receptive to messaging like "faster", "better" or "stronger" than any other cohort. The strategy can even transcend that segment and has seen certain segments like ">40", which I have personally seen now beginning to use data religiously thanks to more accessible LTE devices and talk plans with bundled data; adding to the persistent access imperative. Further affirmation to that end would have been seen in their recent results which cited Balan Nair saying:

Connection Persistence is the end goal and LLA is unswervingly committed therein. The nickel and diming ways of doing business like in the days of GSM has ended. It is time we graduated to more comprehensive plans that suit the digital age and use best practices in net neutrality, data protection and a focus on reducing the digital divide.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Nov 17, 2018 at 01:40 AM.

Trying to understand something, apart of the hybrid plans include always staying connected. It says even if the user consumes all of the core data allotments. They will still be connected to that one app they use and have connection. What does this mean exactly?. Does this spell that unlimited hybrid plans could be on the Horizon?.

Trying to understand something, apart of the hybrid plans include always staying connected. It says even if the user consumes all of the core data allotments. They will still be connected to that one app they use and have connection. What does this mean exactly?. Does this spell that unlimited hybrid plans could be on the Horizon?.
    You’re absolutely right. They most certainly are gearing up to do unlimited hybrid plans.