Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: Flow LTE

Hey Guys, Was in New Kingston doing business all day today and I happened to notice a few interesting things about FLOW's network in that area.

First thing is this... FLOW has a fourth carrier for HSPA+ on the RAN

UARFCN 9738 sits beside their other 1900 MHz UMTS layers, i.e. 9763 and 9788. This band sits in the same block that FLOW's Band 2 LTE layer does in Montego Bay. I hadn't the ability to look at the tower to see the RRUs being used if they were GUL 1900 MHz compatible however, they were pumping out some respectable speeds deep indoors. The continguity of the WCDMA carriers on FLOW's 1900 MHz layer in Kingston enables DC-HSDPA much like they had back in 2016.

The speeds are fantastic for HSPA+ and rivals that of Digicel's 4G network which was doing similarly well in that area. My phone did however try to latch onto LTE as much as it could but Band 4 isn't as hardy as is Band 2. Despite that, when I was out in the open again, FLOW continued to show its raw power.

If FLOW were to match the same kind of performance that they have in Montego Bay, it would require them shuttering UARFCNs 9738 & 9763 in favour of parity with their Huawei sites on the North Coast; to enable LTE with an EARFCN of 801. As it stands, I suspect this setup in this area of Kingston currently is for voice call capacity purposes but LTE Band 2 would do wonders for the LTE network's indoor reach just based on how Band 2 works elsewhere.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Sep 22, 2018 at 07:08 PM.

Kingston & St. Andrew... LTE Advanced is almost here.

Here's the scoop. I recently spotted on FLOW's network a new UMTS 1900 MHz (PCS) layer. The UARFCN of this channel is 487 on the downlink and 87 on the uplink. This translates to a center frequency of 1947.5 MHz on the downlink (for the rest of this we'll be speaking of the downlink only). With reference to generous data provided from the Government of Jamaica & MSTEM, FLOW holds 27 MHz of PCS spectrum. This new layer lies at the very top of their spectrum holdings. Having done the math, A UARFCN of 487 provides 2.5 MHz span on each side between 1945 MHz and 1950 MHz (which is where FLOW's PCS holding begin as per GoJ data). I've yet to see if the second carrier on PCS (UARFCN 9788 and/or 562) still exists.

So... enough of the nerdy talk. What this means is that FLOW is preparing its network across its Ericsson sites to broadcast LTE on Band 2. What this means is that by latest Christmas, Kingston will see another speed bump and increased coverage reach indoors. Max speeds of up to 225 Mbit/s and better reach into buildings thanks to LTE Band 2's higher Transmit Power. Exciting times ahead as we transition to a Digital Economy in Jamaica.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Oct 15, 2018 at 03:19 PM.