Page 78 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Makara View Post
    Perhaps the misreading lies elsewhere. I have hitherto contended that, as things are, the lower regions are been neglected, with the focus being much higher up the scale - they've now, de facto, confirmed this as official policy. Improving ARPU can of course be achieved via judicious market differentiation - effectively catering to each segment - but that's not what Flow is doing. It is instead attempting to coerce the lower end into assuming the spending habits of the higher tiers. This will almost surely fail. Partly because the spending power, in reality, doesn't exist and also because they have much better alternatives: Data is king and for about half the price of Flow's cheapest 30day plan, they can secure a better plan with the competition. While some persons derive a kind of psychological thrill from observing impressive speed tests, others are focused on value for money. Although the intention is to "migrate" low-end users to the higher tiers, the expected result, imho, is a continued exodus. Hence, in effect, they're abandoning that segment. It would be interesting to know what Flow's time horizon is for recouping their LTE investment spend. Perhaps as a kind of surrogate for the company you might know?
    I have been saying this for the LONGEST while! You nailed it not sure what Brandysull and others are talking about. The fact is that the average Jamaican cannot afford to consistently pay even $1000 a month for any form of service whether hybrid, data only or traditional talk only. That is $12,000 per annum that most Jamaicans cannot afford to allocate to phone services. Sometimes I wonder if people are divorced from reality, $1000 may seem negligible to most of us but you have a lot of Jamaicans living on less than $400 a day. People keep yapping about Flow's superior network, faster network etc. personally I do not see this as both a Flow and Digicel user both seem to suck. Even more troubling is that they just sent me a message that I exceeded my data on the plan which is due to expire the 28 and I primarily satisfy my data needs on my digicel phone.
    This talk about higher tariffs and getting people who put on $100 every 5 days on their phone for a 1 day data plan to somehow spend between $1000-$2000 is absurd to say the least.
    Last edited by Thy; Nov 17, 2018 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    You’re absolutely right. They most certainly are gearing up to do unlimited hybrid plans.
    Really, I hope so too. It really does sound that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy View Post
    I have been saying this for the LONGEST while! You nailed it not sure what Brandysull and others are talking about. The fact is that the average Jamaican cannot afford to consistently pay even $1000 a month for any form of service whether hybrid, data only or traditional talk only. That is $12,000 per annum that most Jamaicans cannot afford to allocate to phone services. Sometimes I wonder if people are divorced from reality, $1000 may seem negligible to most of us but you have a lot of Jamaicans living on less than $400 a day. People keep yapping about Flow's superior network, faster network etc. personally I do not see this as both a Flow and Digicel user both seem to suck. Even more troubling is that the just sent me a message that I exceeded my data on the plan which is due to expire the 28 and I primarily satisfy my data needs on my digicel phone.
    This talk about higher tariffs and getting people who put on $100 every 5 days on their phone for a 1 day data plan to someone spend between $1000-$2000 is absurd to say the least.
    Flow is not going to abandon low ARPU subscribers. What they are doing is increasing their bottom line by offering hybrid plans with excellent value for money. The plans are very affordable for what we get, and people are taking up the offers. Jamaicans will pay for good service, many people bombard Flow and Digicel for unlimited data. It may just come from Flow, but whatever the case. Flow is going in the right direction, and early indications are that they are successful in that Endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Flow is not going to abandon low ARPU subscribers. What they are doing is increasing their bottom line by offering hybrid plans with excellent value for money. The plans are very affordable for what we get, and people are taking up the offers. Jamaicans will pay for good service, many people bombard Flow and Digicel for unlimited data. It may just come from Flow, but whatever the case. Flow is going in the right direction, and early indications are that they are successful in that Endeavour.
    I am sorry how did I imply that they were abandoning them? Flow nor Digicel cannot abandon any customer, once I customer puts on $100 a month they retain their number. Many ex-postpaid persons are indeed taking up the offers, those numbers will not be enough to propel to the revenue they need. The vast majority of Jamaicans cannot afford these "affordable" plans. Are they a great value for money sure, but that does not mean that even though people recognize the deal means that they can actually take part in the deal. Similar to the housing market sure that 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in new kingston for $15 million is a deal how many Jamaicans can actually pre-qualify for it much less purchase it outright?

Flow's cheapest unlimited plan is $2000 and you would be crazy to think the average prepaid person will pay $1000 per month consistently much less $2000.

Makara understands the marketplace another good point that user made is that both Digicel and LIME, especially LIME do not have attractive one day plans to effectively eke out more from the typical Jamaican user. Why not have some better one day, 3 day or 7 day plans so people will actually purchase service for more days out of a month.
    Last edited by Thy; Nov 17, 2018 at 09:51 PM.

I am sorry how did I imply that they were abandoning them? Flow nor Digicel cannot abandon any customer, once I customer puts on $100 a month they retain their number. Many ex-postpaid persons are indeed taking up the offers, those numbers will not be enough to propel to the revenue they need. The vast majority of Jamaicans cannot afford these "affordable" plans. Are they a great value for money sure, but that does not mean that even though people recognize the deal means that they can actually take part in the deal. Similar to the housing market sure that 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in new kingston for $15 million is a deal how many Jamaicans can actually pre-qualify for it much less purchase it outright?

Flow's cheapest unlimited plan is $2000 and you would be crazy to think the average prepaid person will pay $1000 per month consistently much less $2000.

Makara understands the marketplace another good point that user made is that both Digicel and LIME, especially LIME do not have attractive one day plans to effectively eke out more from the typical Jamaican user. Why not have some better one day, 3 day or 7 day plans so people will actually purchase service for more days out of a month.
    Well guess what... FLOW Lyf still exists for those who want one off data plans up to 30 day 3 GB. If you think that is sufficient, go ahead. With the speeds that FLOW has, you can easily finish 3 GB of data on LTE in 30 minutes. Further, if we were to go by the supposed "nickel-and-dime" sentiment Jamaicans like to preach, there'd be no need for high speed LTE networks. In fact, we wouldn't need anything other than 4G HSPA+. LTE is far more cost effective for networks on the supply side & demand side; LTE costs less per gigabyte to service than 3G & 2G and is far more spectrally efficient as it offers more capacity per population than its predecessors. The issue I am seeing is that while the benefits exist for carriers to go LTE from a cost perspective, the public is used to plans priced with the dimensional strictures of HSPA+ in mind. Any attempt to revisit plans to balance the supply costs of LTE with more suited usage patterns for the technology is met with the typically Jamaican (and might I say Caribbean in general) narrative of "Dem a fight against the poor people". To that I say "Cut it out".

LTE is not exclusionary or trying to gouge your pockets. FLOW is not trying to sell you a plan at $1000 as their basic plan. FLOW is simply appealing to the likes and preferences of its customers which, based on internal data & external data, seems to be better able to absorb higher costs for better service. Further, their networks in Jamaica, Panama, Cayman are all award-winning LTE networks with commensurate network dimensions to ensure acceptable service levels to allow for, in future, co-existing of Voice & Data on LTE and 5G. If one can only afford a data plan once in a blue moon (but can seemingly afford a recent smartphone and a persistent WiFi connection to boot which will average you $5000 a month), they have plans that cater to you as well. If one thinks Digicel's network suits them, then by all means, use them. To castigate FLOW for wanting to offer plans for those with higher spend and a better appreciation of a faster network means you haven't an understanding of how mobile networks make their money. Those who spend more end up paying for the write-offs in promotional activity (like phone sales or discounted data plans) and network upgrades.

Can we all agree that both operators segment their offerings adequately and offer enough product diversity to maximize earnings and optimize costs?

Seems that FLOW LTE's uplink is now truly using 64QAM. As to the downlink... It is just wicked fast!

Download and upload for me is 100 Mbps (in the Shortwood area of Kingston 8)

you would be crazy to think the average prepaid person will pay $1000 per month consistently
    I do it as I tether through my phone as I travel around the island. My incentive is the MVP talk plan that I get. My call rates remain cheaper than Digicel, so I'm happy to dial-out to landlines, and both carriers for the same low rates.

The fact is that the average Jamaican cannot afford to consistently pay even $1000 a month for any form of service whether hybrid, data only or traditional talk only. That is $12,000 per annum that most Jamaicans cannot afford to allocate to phone services.
    Who do you determine to be the "average" Jamaican? I assume you interrogated Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN) for that.
    It really all boils down to an individual's "priorities". $12,000 a year is NOT much for those who squander money doing other things. Some spend that money each year doing other forms of entertainment such as going to the movies, buying junk food, going to the club, etc.

You speak about those "average" persons only living on less than $400 a day, yet they somehow some of them have the latest phones that have the latest specs.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 30, 2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    Download and upload for me is 100 Mbps (in the Shortwood area of Kingston 8)
    I've hit 70 Mbit/s on the uplink... on an iPhone infact. Nice to see FLOW is going fully LTE Advanced wherever they can... they've done quite a few rollouts since even September so now the majority of the country is seeing a mix of Band 4 and 2. Most places are seeing 85-90 Mbit/s down especially on the North Coast where the MoBay to Ocho Rios highway link is practically all LTE and Band 2 & 4 overbuilt in some places not to mention the addition of Band 12 in short order thereafter.

I'm by Winchester business center and I just got 147Mbps download on flow and digicel was 0. 4 (tested it by springs and it was 0.2).. Man thank God for this dual sim life cause digicel sucks right now

Quote Originally Posted by manymoods View Post
    I'm by Winchester business center and I just got 147Mbps download on flow and digicel was 0. 4 (tested it by springs and it was 0.2).. Man thank God for this dual sim life cause digicel sucks right now
    Lol, indeed dual sim is one of the best features a phone can have.

Here at Marcus Garvey, Spanish Town and old Harbour. Flow is at a haul regardless of the 3G or LTE connection and Digicel is going, slow but at least I can browse and receive message. No YouTube.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.