Page 79 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

So... FLOW has gone live with HD Audio over 3G. Haven't tried over LTE... will do so later. For now, it's only FLOW to FLOW calls that is in AMR-WB.

Update: FLOW has confirmed that it is indeed AMR-WB that is active over their network.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Apr 3, 2019 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    FLOW has gone live with HD Audio over 3G.
    Is this a codec. Do I have to enable anything on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to get this? The audio quality "sounds" the same for Flow to Flow calls.
    Would the sound quality sound the poor(er) or "standard" if I was to call someone with a bangers on the Flow network? What I'm trying to determine is if it is a feature that both phones have to support (like the difference between an analog vs HDMI cable).
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    Is this a codec. Do I have to enable anything on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to get this? The audio quality "sounds" the same for Flow to Flow calls.
    Would the sound quality sound the poor(er) or "standard" if I was to call someone with a bangers on the Flow network? What I'm trying to determine is if it is a feature that both phones have to support (like the difference between an analog vs HDMI cable).
    Both devices have to be AMR-WB compatible. Someone with a “banger” might not have the capability/the codec to use Wideband audio. You will know you’re calling over AMR-WB when the dial tone becomes noticeably different; sounding like that of WhatsApp... and also the call quality — but just as reliable as a regular phone call.

So I've done some additional testing on FLOW's HD Voice network... It runs on the main AMR-WB anchor bitrate of 12.65 Kbps. I'm also seeing that devices that are AMR-Wideband capable now default to performing calls with the Wideband codec (including network recordings etc.)... the network simply selects the most interoperable bitrate; AMR-WB 6.85 kbps to match GSM-Full Rate and so on. Another curious observation is that FLOW has added a contiguous UMTS carrier (on 1900 MHz) in Kingston to handle the additional load on the CS domain (UARFCN 487 & 512). Given that FLOW is on track to shut down 2G 850 MHz, we may see them move to make 850 MHz fully UMTS or another LTE layer (my bet is on this one). In addition, it is a STRONG indication of VoLTE being worked on in the FLOW skunkworks with likely use of the EVS codec in parallel to AMR-WB for VoLTE calls (this is what Ericsson, their vendor partner and, FLOW's parent company, Liberty Global, are pushing). This means calls will sound as clear as CD quality or, more realistically, a FaceTime Audio call. All indications point to FLOW's Band 12 (700 MHz) being the "voice" band of their LTE network. Having not seen it deployed in Kingston or Montego Bay (at last check), means that the network clearly has VoLTE coming soon. 2019 and 2020 are shaping up to be super exciting in Jamaican telecoms!!
    Last edited by Brandysull; Apr 5, 2019 at 01:45 PM.

Taking a look at new deployments for FLOW LTE in the north coast, Someone (graciously) mapped FLOW's LTE network along the entire North Coast from Montego Bay to Port Antonio on cellmapper.net.

Right along the stretch, you can see Band 4 & Band 12 primarily with Band 2 in particular in Montego Bay (making it the only urban area FLOW has all three bands deployed & active). The LTE network has become practically ubiquitous however, I've yet to try it along the stretch myself but based on the data, there were no switch downs to 3G or, if so, very little. Not much data in that regard was available for Digicel but the few samples available showed both Band 17 & Band 4 but they did not indicate that the network had LTE-A active. On the coverse, FLOW had LTE-A active across the entire stretch. I'm assured by this that VoLTE is soon coming.

This is FAR cry from what FLOW was in 2015, barely able to supply 3G and very often saw switchdowns to EDGE in busy urban areas and GPRS/EDGE or no signal in rural areas.

I think I did some of the cellmapping while on vacation. I see it mapped up my house in Three Hills St Mary. You said only Montego Bay as all 3 bands active but that is not the case. Port Antonio as all 3 bands active. In towers isles the have all 3 bands are active but they are not yet aggregated.

Quote Originally Posted by thedean0375 View Post
    I think I did some of the cellmapping while on vacation. I see it mapped up my house in Three Hills St Mary. You said only Montego Bay as all 3 bands active but that is not the case. Port Antonio as all 3 bands active. In towers isles the have all 3 bands are active but they are not yet aggregated.
    Noted. I know 3CCA was active in Port Antonio however, given how FLOW scales its equipment made for my distinction of Montego Bay, as the second city; an implict contrast to Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    If this is any indication, these are great edge of cell speeds! Perhaps they'll complement Band 12 with Band 2 or 4 in that area.
    My Phone is showing LTE+ not sure what it means
    So said so done. They have included band 4

Speedtest

Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    My Phone is showing LTE+ not sure what it means
    So said so done. They have included band 4
    https://i.imgur.com/jl4xEiM.jpg
    Speedtest
    https://i.imgur.com/C1NzMbz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pzHeS30.jpg
    LTE+ means that you're on LTE Advanced. It's fantastic seeing LTE Advanced in areas outside of KMA & Mobay. Band 12 is the secondary component carrier so you have good speed and, with Band 12, lots of coverage.

For those of us who use iPhones and are on FLOW, iOS 13 also includes a nice little surprise from FLOW. They've included in their recent carrier update, support for Band 12 (and likely VoLTE, soon). Updated both my iPhone 8 Plus and my 6s and both getting LTE on Band 12 (700 MHz).

My 8 Plus in particular is aggregating Bands 2, 4 and 12 and are hitting upwards of 200+ Mbps. That addition of Band 12 makes LTE now practically ubiquitous!