Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertical sync and screen-tearing

Default Vertical sync and screen-tearing

So FPS is a measurement for your GPU and Hz is the measurement for your monitor, because GPU'S are so powerful nowadays your GPU can render images and output them way above the 60Hz your 1080p monitor is capable of so you get a glitch that's called screen tearing! Wherein two or more images are shown in a single screen draw. To prevent screen tearing you can enable a feature called Vertical Synchronization or Vsync. This tells your GPU to synchronize it's actions with the display which forces it to render and send a new frame when the monitor is ready to redraw the screen. This does limit your frame rate to exactly the refresh rate. Since your GPU is now rendering fewer frames you can bump up the in game graphics like draw distance and shadow quality.
    Last edited by cushman; Jun 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM.
    Car Audio and PC Enthusiast. System Specs:CPU:Intel-Core i7 4790k 4Ghz quad-core processor, COOLER: Corsair H80i V2, MOBO:MSI Z97A Gaming 7, RAM:Kingston Savage 16gb (2x8) 1866mhz, SSD:Samsung 850 evo-series 250gb, HDD:WD black 7200rpm 1tb, GPU:MSI geforce GTX 980ti gaming 6G, CASE:Corsair carbide 230t black, PSU:EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD.

Why won't you use the proper representation of the jargon and write hz as Hz and fps as FPS and gpu as GPU.

... and for Christ's sake, put a space after your punctuation marks and capitalize your first letters in your sentences. Is your shift key broken? I don't mean to be pedantic but its hard to come off as knowledgeable when you write like this.

Are you an American?
    Last edited by gW33Zy; Jun 20, 2016 at 10:02 PM.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Why won't you use the proper representation of the jargon and write hz as Hz and fps as FPS and gpu as GPU.

... and for Christ's sake, put a space after your punctuation marks and capitalize your first letters in your sentences. Is your shift key broken? I don't mean to be pedantic but its hard to come off as knowledgeable when you write like this.

Are you an American?
    kool and nope mobay me born and grow
    Car Audio and PC Enthusiast. System Specs:CPU:Intel-Core i7 4790k 4Ghz quad-core processor, COOLER: Corsair H80i V2, MOBO:MSI Z97A Gaming 7, RAM:Kingston Savage 16gb (2x8) 1866mhz, SSD:Samsung 850 evo-series 250gb, HDD:WD black 7200rpm 1tb, GPU:MSI geforce GTX 980ti gaming 6G, CASE:Corsair carbide 230t black, PSU:EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post

Are you an American?
    Lmao.

fps is fine. Hz is not. mb for megabytes is terrible amd irritates me the most.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Lmao.

fps is fine. Hz is not. mb for megabytes is terrible amd irritates me the most.
    Gotta agree with you on the amd one lol. Have to be reading twice to make sure they weren't trying to type and.

Anyways good information and all cushman but vsync cause input lags in some cases so AMD and Nvidia came out with their own Freesync and G-Sync solutions respectively:

Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Gotta agree with you on the amd one lol. Have to be reading twice to make sure they weren't trying to type and.

Anyways good information and all cushman but vsync cause input lags in some cases so AMD and Nvidia came out with their own Freesync and G-Sync solutions respectively:

Yea mon me know but both technologies are expensive as hell! Some cost more than my Gpu, I would rather buy huge 4k tv that can 120Hz which i know it won't but a so it go. It would be sick to get a G-sync 144Hz 1440p monitor though.

Quote Originally Posted by cushman View Post
    Yea mon me know but both technologies are expensive as hell! Some cost more than my Gpu, I would rather buy huge 4k tv that can 120Hz which i know it won't but a so it go. It would be sick to get a G-sync 144Hz 1440p monitor though.
    Yeah they are expensive because it's really geared towards hardcore gamers, well g-sync at least. Free sync would be the way to go but they still sorting out their stuff.
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Yeah they are expensive because it's really geared towards hardcore gamers, well g-sync at least. Free sync would be the way to go but they still sorting out their stuff.
    I know, Gsync is a better option but too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by cushman View Post
    I know, Gsync is a better option but too expensive.

Can you explain how is G-Sync the better option?

I know both tech inside out and I didn't see an advantage over adaptive sync (Freesync).
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    Can you explain how is G-Sync the better option?

I know both tech inside out and I didn't see an advantage over adaptive sync (Freesync).
    It does have a slight advantage but not that much. Based on what I've read it's really the monitor manufacturers that it's up to for supporting either technology on their panels. Since Nvidia currently has the largest market share then you know they would get first preference because, business. They were also the first to have such technology and it was marketed quite well, so majority of gamers only know or care about Gsync at the moment.

Once AMD gets back a large portion of the market then Freesync will be the thing and Gsync will finally become affordable .

Also can checkout the reddit thread on this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...sync_vs_gsync/