Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Most Cell Phone Users in Jamaica Need LTE?

Default Do Most Cell Phone Users in Jamaica Need LTE?

So I run an Electronics Store, Since Digicel LTE is availble i've been asking customers and most of my friends if they want LTE.. After explaining to them what LTE is I'd say about 80% of them say they are ok with what they are getting now.

They basically say once they can access WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram they are good. Those 3 apps are what I'd say most people use and you don't need LTE to access them.

What everybody is saying is that more than anything else they would want better rates. Me personally can get by with 3G as I don't do allot of streaming from my cell, and I too would love to see better rates.

My opinion is that LTE now is for a niche market and until it becomes the norm most people won't be seeking to get it.

What do you think???
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; Jun 18, 2016 at 11:01 AM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

It depends on which side of the market you are on. if you like selling things to people who don't need it then...LTE is the next thing to hype up. Just like VR or smartwatches. But personally I stopped using mobile internet on my phone, waste of money just to get facebook spam.

There comes a point in the evolution of speed/bandwidth where anything faster isn't a real value-add for most persons especially is they have to pay extra. So for some persons the speeds required to comfortably use their main apps is that point which may be 3G. However, as these apps also evolve with newer features to take advantage of faster speeds the users' needs will also adjust to require those faster speeds. This was the case when the Web first took off ... 56k modems were good enough until 64k came, then 128k DSL .. and the rest is history. Give them time and they will start wanting LTE or the next gen speed.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    It depends on which side of the market you are on. if you like selling things to people who don't need it then...LTE is the next thing to hype up. Just like VR or smartwatches. But personally I stopped using mobile internet on my phone, waste of money just to get facebook spam.
    That in bold is all it comes down to.

All you use your phone to do is facebook? When I cant be bothered turning on my pc I use my smart phone for everything.

Also smartwatches are very useful to me. VR however is useless to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There comes a point in the evolution of speed/bandwidth where anything faster isn't a real value-add for most persons especially is they have to pay extra. So for some persons the speeds required to comfortably use their main apps is that point which may be 3G. However, as these apps also evolve with newer features to take advantage of faster speeds the users' needs will also adjust to require those faster speeds. This was the case when the Web first took off ... 56k modems were good enough until 64k came, then 128k DSL .. and the rest is history. Give them time and they will start wanting LTE or the next gen speed.
    Agreed with both of you.

What jamaica needs are stable speeds not faster.

Progress is progress still. bring on the LTE and make it a standard.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Well maybe if it were more cost effective you'd have more early adopters.. but as it is now most won't be shelling out extra cash for something they won't benifit form directly.

@Chris ... By the time that happens LTE will be the norm.. won't cost as much as it is costing now.

Remember when Flat Screen TVs came out? Everybody had to have one regardless of the cost, all who never needed it had to have it.. this is not the case with LTE.

Probably not..since most people only use Facebook/whatsapp and email.LTE speed is really only needed for video (HD) streaming,video calling and downloading very large files.When these application become more common LTE will take off.

The current prices aren't gonna help much either.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well maybe if it were more cost effective you'd have more early adopters.. but as it is now most won't be shelling out extra cash for something they won't benifit form directly.

@Chris ... By the time that happens LTE will be the norm.. won't cost as much as it is costing now.

Remember when Flat Screen TVs came out? Everybody had to have one regardless of the cost, all who never needed it had to have it.. this is not the case with LTE.

I dont remember that.... I remember people waiting until it was cheaper.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

I'm almost sure Digicel knows this which is why they did such a rushed LTE launch, Flow is yet to launch.

They know this is something most people won't need at this point in time.

LTE can't come fast enough. I find my mobility is stymied when I have to use my mobile data while in town (especially in downtown MoBay; New Kingston has alot of capacity so I don't have issues there - can hit 10 Mbit/s there at peak traffic). 3G gets too congested too quickly and for someone like me who goes from light iMessaging & Facetime Audio all the way to using Spotify on high definition or scrolling through media-rich apps like Twitter or even full on FaceTime, I have to have access to low latency, fast mobile data. I'm prepared to pay the price for additional mobility (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    I dont remember that.... I remember people waiting until it was cheaper.
    No sah... Flat screen were flying of the shelves from day one... they became the norm when the prices became cheaper.

4K TV is what I'd say compares to LTE...
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; Jun 18, 2016 at 11:45 AM.