Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel launches Jamaica's first LTE Network

Default Digicel launches Jamaica's first LTE Network

Jamaica’s largest and fastest network, Digicel, picked up significantly more speed with the switching on of its LTE network on Thursday – becoming the first mobile provider to introduce innovation that delivers record-breaking performance.

Packing speeds up to 10 times faster than 4G, Digicel LTE is now available in Kingston, St Andrew and parts of St James as the company begins a nationwide buildout of its Network for the Future across the country.

“This is the news Jamaica has been waiting for. We’re focused on always delivering the most advanced mobile network technology that fits our customers’ lifestyle and budget. The activation of our LTE network is a major step in this direction,” declared CEO of Digicel Jamaica, David Butler.
    http://www.loopjamaica.com/content/d...st-lte-network
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Looks rushed launched.. not much info anywhere, must be Caricel fuelled
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Excuse my cynicism... as much as I want real LTE network speeds to be a reality in Jamaica, this news coming from the same company advertising their farce that is the "Bigger, Better 4G Network" has me a bit skeptical.

Edited: for clarity
    Last edited by gW33Zy; Jun 9, 2016 at 02:57 PM.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

I am not impressed while speeds of 1Mbps and lower are still offered.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

They're offering special LTE plans (red flag IMO) in order for you to access the network AND it's only availiable in Kingston and Montego Bay... Nevertheless kudos to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    They're offering special LTE plans (red flag IMO) in order for you to access the network AND it's only availiable in Kingston and Montego Bay... Nevertheless kudos to them.
    That red flag though. I'll bet they will charge more money for the same data caps, just because they can get away with it and it is "LTE". They will mention LTE in every piece of marketing to dazzle the public with a new acronym and justify the increased rates with that.

Charge more just because Facebook and Instagram loads faster on smart phones.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    That red flag though. I'll bet they will charge more money for the same data caps, just because they can get away with it and it is "LTE". They will mention LTE in every piece of marketing to dazzle the public with a new acronym and justify the increased rates with that.

Charge more just because Facebook and Instagram loads faster on smart phones.
    I prefer to give them the benefit of doubt and say these plans would be 60 GB and 100 GB monthly plans like what they did in other territories.

As i think someone here on techjamaica had said that the price for the currently plans will remain and removal of the entry FTW plans.

Last edited by Dre'; Jun 9, 2016 at 07:53 PM.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

so roughly 13k jmd for 100gb @ around 50mbps hmm. they needs way cheaper plans if this what they plan to charge in JA

Prices/Packages to be released 2mrw.. Standby.....

BTW guys, how much Mobile Data do you consume monthly, i average about 7.5 GBs so for me the 10gb plan would be perfect