Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon rx 480 $199 omfg!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Makkah View Post
    I assume that the APUs will use some of the components that the discreet GPUs do (I'll freely admit that I don't pay much attention to this sort of thing). If that's the case then AMD is guaranteed to receive revenue from some of the components that they manufacturer. Since they want to target a larger market, that guaranteed revenue allows them to price their product more competitively to entice the more casual market. They make less profit per unit sold, but they are banking on selling a larger quantity to make up for it.
    Yeah they do get revenue from consoles but it's not as much as if they are able to sell even half the amount of their GPU's since they would be getting way more profits per unit sold.

It does however keep them in the game as developers understand how the consoles work, which means games should run better on AMD desktop GPU's. Then again they do have different teams working on different systems, so might not be the case .
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

sony might have helped with r&d money.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    I don't see how Sony could have help with r&d when they aren't partners. Investors would have had to know about it and it made public.

One is a customer and the other is a supplier.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

They are both publicly traded companies so any endeavour of that nature would have to be made public so we know this did not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    I don't see how Sony could have help with r&d when they aren't partners. Investors would have had to know about it and it made public.

One is a customer and the other is a supplier.
    I dunno, I could see a strategic alliance rather than a partnership between these two, would be a win win.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    They are both publicly traded companies so any endeavour of that nature would have to be made public so we know this did not happen.
    Sony hasnt even announced the console yet. you psychic
    All rights reserved.

Sony hasnt even announced the console yet. you psychic
    But it would have to be made public before the system even goes in production. Even before the said funding started.

Remember the cell was developed by IBM funded by sony and we all knew about it long before Ps3 came out.

AMD is just selling a product
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    But it would have to be made public before the system even goes in production. Even before the said funding started.

Remember the cell was developed by IBM funded by sony and we all knew about it long before Ps3 came out.

AMD is just selling a product
    Their use of AMD APUs wasn't that involved. They built on existing designs to create custom chips for their particular purpose, but if they are going to be paying for development of a custom chip for the new ps4, they are going to be contributing to the development of polaris for it. Or at least they will with sales on each unit. They had talked in the past about specific things they asked for in GCN.

But the reason the chip cost is low is probably down to planning for the smaller chip from the start. polaris 10 is 200+ mm^2 and polaris 11 is supposedly much smaller. These things they can pump out with ok yields (40% yields should give something like 280 chips OK on 300mm wafer while for nvidia its something like 170-180).

Wouldn't be sensible to use profit from consoles to make up for PC sales so can bet they are making a good profit with that small chip and that price. Even if one wafer cost $10000, the chip would cost $35 a piece with those yields. But its close to $5000 per 300mm wafer. Probably other costs on there after wafer costs but should be ok profit. Partners are probably happy with AMD right now unlike what some people were claiming. They will have tons of volume in sales because of the prices and, because of the tier of the cards, there is room for compelling people to upgrade later on with more power for decent price.
    All rights reserved.

Their use of AMD APUs wasn't that involved. They built on existing designs to create custom chips for their particular purpose, but if they are going to be paying for development of a custom chip for the new ps4, they are going to be contributing to the development of polaris for it. Or at least they will with sales on each unit. They had talked in the past about specific things they asked for in GCN.

But the reason the chip cost is low is probably down to planning for the smaller chip from the start. polaris 10 is 200+ mm^2 and polaris 11 is supposedly much smaller. These things they can pump out with ok yields (40% yields should give something like 280 chips OK on 300mm wafer while for nvidia its something like 170-180).

Wouldn't be sensible to use profit from consoles to make up for PC sales so can bet they are making a good profit with that small chip and that price. Even if one wafer cost $10000, the chip would cost $35 a piece with those yields. But its close to $5000 per 300mm wafer. Probably other costs on there after wafer costs but should be ok profit. Partners are probably happy with AMD right now unlike what some people were claiming. They will have tons of volume in sales because of the prices and, because of the tier of the cards, there is room for compelling people to upgrade later on with more power for decent price.
    Being smaller is all down to 14nm which is made possible by samsung. Not Sony.

Everyone who has an AMD card contributed to polaris. Including ps4, xbox one and wiiu owner.

In my opinion polaris cost is so low because amd doesn't have a choice at this point. Anyone willing to spend $500 hardly ever looks at AMD. I think they finally understand that. Also majority of gpu sales are $300 and lower.

Specific things they ask for; Sony customer told amd supplier what they want. That isn't partnership is any form. Just as Samsung makes the soc in iOS devices.
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Just thought I'd leave this here:

Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Waiting on the reason. Being pessimistic about this I would say that the driver most people used to review the 1080 was the one that AMD used as well. And it was not doing AOTS properly. The newer driver does it right from what I saw. i.e. nvidia did it to get higher scores on launch reviews in AOTS vs fury x.
    All rights reserved.