Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Credit card processing for Jamaican business

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Was listening to an amateur economist ascribe the black market as much as what you said above. That Jamaica's authorities has crippled our black market, which, in turn, stifles innovation and efficiency. Could someone explain this theory?

Also, what do you think of that movement in the USA of $15 minimum wage? Why are so many of the working class against it?

What if Jamaica joined the basic wage experiment? <(did we have this discussion already?)
    Governments don't like black markets. It reduces tax income. I think the reduction of how much cash you are allowed to use in transactions/debitcards/banktransfets/fees might be a crippling factor.

As per minimum wage and basic income you might need to start a different thread about that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Governments don't like black markets. It reduces tax income. I think the reduction of how much cash you are allowed to use in transactions/debitcards/banktransfets/fees might be a crippling factor.

As per minimum wage and basic income you might need to start a different thread about that topic.
    I don't think he wants to use for blackmarket.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Differently though, the online banking system as it relates to 3rd party access in Jamaica is ridiculous. I recently and in the past, have built travel booking sites for local clients who want their foreign clients to be able to pay online via credit cards. However for them to go through a local bank involves bending over backwards while assuming some complicated origami style bending. The amount of things you have to go through just because banks start with the assumption that, if you want to do business with them you must a criminal.

To open a bank account, they'll soon ask you for stamped letters from a JP, a doctor, the police, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost... depending on your skin shade.

Anyway, it is easier to just created a PayPal account, confirm it with a credit card and begin using the API. Plus it is a helleva lot cheaper for processing fee as compared to the ransom local banks will charge.

Its rough being a citizen of this country.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

PayPal is easy cheesy, but the turn-around time to receive payments really is a pain... of-course there are a few work-arounds which all have direct and indirect disadvantages.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    PayPal is easy cheesy, but the turn-around time to receive payments really is a pain... of-course there are a few work-arounds which all have direct and indirect disadvantages.
    As things are right now, it is the only viable option to accept credit card payments online in Jamaica, esp., for small businesses.

BTW... what percentage of the total transaction does NCB/Scotia charge for processing fees and such, for the CC terminal or online access?
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    As things are right now, it is the only viable option to accept credit card payments online in Jamaica, esp., for small businesses.

BTW... what percentage of the total transaction does NCB/Scotia charge for processing fees and such, for the CC terminal or online access?
    NCB Card Machine $10+Tax Debit ... 3.5%+Tax Credit..
    Not sure about online rates...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I think PayPal will come on board once they see allot or a fair amount of online Jamaican Merchant sites using their API... but as it is now we are just a bug on a very big windscreen.

Owen, where's my last post?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyon View Post
    Owen, where's my last post?
    The one that you deleted?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Today, 04:39 AM
    Daveyon
    This message has been deleted by Daveyon.