Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: CARICEL - Jamaica's third mobile services provider

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Person with more money or who owns the pole gets the top ???
    Nope, it's based on spectrum requirements... Who can propogate furthest goes to the bottom and who can propogate least well goes to the top. It involves much more than that but it's one of the many factors that are taken into consideration.

BTW a lot of cell sites/towers in Jamaica are owned by third party companies. They're leased by FLOW or Digicel or Caricel...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Nope, it's based on spectrum requirements... Who can propogate furthest goes to the bottom and who can propogate least well goes to the top. It involves much more than that but it's one of the many factors that are taken into consideration.

BTW a lot of cell sites/towers in Jamaica are owned by third party companies. They're leased by FLOW or Digicel or Caricel...

I always thought the cell companies here own their own towers. The question that i have to ask tho is whether FLOW owns the underground tunnels that carries there cables on the side walk. I notice they started putting implements to close up the ducts using something looking like a piece of bended zinc. I wondered if its in response to Digicel as i also notice they using some of the same underground feeds to run their cables as well. So it leaves me to ask if flow has to share that or if they own it or why are they suddenly locking up all the pipes that goes from the ground to the poles.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    I always thought the cell companies here own their own towers. The question that i have to ask tho is whether FLOW owns the underground tunnels that carries there cables on the side walk. I notice they started putting implements to close up the ducts using something looking like a piece of bended zinc. I wondered if its in response to Digicel as i also notice they using some of the same underground feeds to run their cables as well. So it leaves me to ask if flow has to share that or if they own it or why are they suddenly locking up all the pipes that goes from the ground to the poles.
    On sites that FLOW owns they may co-locate with Digicel but the closing of the ducts may be as a result of cable theft more than anything else.

Cartoon from today's Jamaica Observer ...

Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

It's looking like Caricel will be LTE only broadband service like Digicel had done with WiMAX. They may have CA support and LTE advanced. Still looking into it for now.
    LiVE LiFE..LeVeL Di ViBEZ.....use to own a mobile site called McNAllySiTE... Google Advocate
    Current System:
    Win10 Pro, Reaper, Reason, Pro Tools, FL Studio
    Network: T-Mobile & Sprint 4G LTE; Current Devices: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5
    I manage: HitzConnect Radio follow me, twitter: @ram130

Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    It's looking like Caricel will be LTE only broadband service like Digicel had done with WiMAX. They may have CA support and LTE advanced. Still looking into it for now.
    They said they're doing Mobile and broadband 4G LTE... Let's see how it plays out. If it is LTE-A, CA is assured... LTE-A is at minimum to be 225 Mbit/s but should be lab capable of at least 300 Mbit/s. If it is indeed LTE-A, Jamaica, Welcome to the 21st century!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Meanwhile, Digicel massacres FLOW on peak H+ speeds in Kingston..... the only things saving them is price and network capacity.

Both FLOW and Digicel know exactly what they are doing. FLOW, I suppose, is too caught up in M&As to care at this moment and Digicel, is in a frantic race to become a fully fledged telecoms operator as their mobile segment has taken a turn for the worst.

Hopefully, Caricel will influence these other carriers to INNOVATE and move the market from a 4 year stagnation. I still have nightmares about this....
    Maybe in Kingston. Everywhere else on the South Coast seems to be about the same in comparison, and the FLOW H+ seems faster in USAGE - not talking about speed tests.

Every single provider that has come to Jamaica has done excellent at first by giving us the CURRENT technology (or close to it). And as the global market changes they stay the same. Very little change. As you probably know, back when Digicel/Claro was coming with GSM/3G - LIME/C&WJ decided that Jamaica wasn't ready for the technology. Soon as Digicel reach though - think it was about a month or two after - you find that CWJ offering the same services. Trust me. I've had nothing but bad experiences with LIME/CWJ. Hopefully since it's a larger company that's their parent now things will get better. Hopefully. Jamaica seems to be a gold-mine for every company that comes here with mobile technology...........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Maybe in Kingston. Everywhere else on the South Coast seems to be about the same in comparison, and the FLOW H+ seems faster in USAGE - not talking about speed tests.

Every single provider that has come to Jamaica has done excellent at first by giving us the CURRENT technology (or close to it). And as the global market changes they stay the same. Very little change. As you probably know, back when Digicel/Claro was coming with GSM/3G - LIME/C&WJ decided that Jamaica wasn't ready for the technology. Soon as Digicel reach though - think it was about a month or two after - you find that CWJ offering the same services. Trust me. I've had nothing but bad experiences with LIME/CWJ. Hopefully since it's a larger company that's their parent now things will get better. Hopefully. Jamaica seems to be a gold-mine for every company that comes here with mobile technology...........
    I think FLOW issue is that they spend too much monies on promotion and these useless brand ambassadors. They need to invest in their network and then try to get customers that way. The arrogance in the company is obvious. The CEO boldly claiming that FLOW only will launch LTE on a few cell sites in kingston and the north coast because its expensive smh. I cant wait till liberty shakes up management at FLOW. I know the parent company has hit the road running and have hired a private company to do a report on certain issues affecting the company. From sending mystery customers into the main stores to sending social media comments to judge response time,quality of response, follow up on issues etc. Issues such as repair times , quality of repairs etc. There are some people in management who will be shown the door. Liberty has a history of good customer service etc. So the time has come for the ceo to do some cleaning before they come clean out the house.

This may be totally unrelated or it very well could be

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post

This may be totally unrelated or it very well could be
    looks like LTE to me....