Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: CARICEL - Jamaica's third mobile services provider

Caricel has been acquired by South African company.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/b...rican-investor

From what I've heard on the news, Involution limited was founded in 2017. What do you guys make of it?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Caricel has been acquired by South African company.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/b...rican-investor

From what I've heard on the news, Involution limited was founded in 2017. What do you guys make of it?.
    Just done to appease the powers that be. Would not be surprised if the chairs just been moved around. Now what will they do about the slow speeds

Well.. it's a little too late now.. both Flow and Digi have LTE up and running... so unless somebody comes along with lower rates and faster speeds Flow and Digi pretty much set.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Well.. it's a little too late now.. both Flow and Digi have LTE up and running... so unless somebody comes along with lower rates and faster speeds Flow and Digi pretty much set.
    I agree, Caricel was touting LTE-A so if given full clearance to the market. They probably will be offering double or triple the speeds that Flow currently offers. We just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Just done to appease the powers that be. Would not be surprised if the chairs just been moved around. Now what will they do about the slow speeds
    Well they may now be able to address that issue. Once they are allowed to fully enter the market, they plan to "disrupt the mobile data market" in Jamaica. So they are in expansion mode.

I agree, Caricel was touting LTE-A so if given full clearance to the market. They probably will be offering double or triple the speeds that Flow currently offers. We just have to wait and see.
    LOL... With what spectrum? FLOW literally is the only network to have 20 MHz of contiguous LTE spectrum in Jamaica. Furthermore, all the available spectrum bands to the market from SMA are at max 15 MHz in size. FLOW already has the ability to run 850 MHz GSM along with UMTS & LTE on its 10 MHz allocation... That's 25 MHz without a single panel change; just software. Moreover, FLOW is already deployed 4x2 MIMO meaning, in as little as a panel change and a software update, they can double their AWS LTE layer's max throughput to 300 Mbit/s.. even without the 33% speed boost from going moving from 64QAM/16QAM to 256QAM/64QAM. Digicel is following right in FLOW's tracks, keeping up with their pace of deployment. Caricel will need to offer literal cut rate prices to dominate a market where prices are already quite low and both incumbents have deployed/are deploying very advanced services such as LTE Roaming, Self-Care applications, automated IVRs and other such services.

All in all, Caricel was best to have been sold to Digicel or FLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    LOL... With what spectrum? FLOW literally is the only network to have 20 MHz of contiguous LTE spectrum in Jamaica. Furthermore, all the available spectrum bands to the market from SMA are at max 15 MHz in size. FLOW already has the ability to run 850 MHz GSM along with UMTS & LTE on its 10 MHz allocation... That's 25 MHz without a single panel change; just software. Moreover, FLOW is already deployed 4x2 MIMO meaning, in as little as a panel change and a software update, they can double their AWS LTE layer's max throughput to 300 Mbit/s.. even without the 33% speed boost from going moving from 64QAM/16QAM to 256QAM/64QAM. Digicel is following right in FLOW's tracks, keeping up with their pace of deployment. Caricel will need to offer literal cut rate prices to dominate a market where prices are already quite low and both incumbents have deployed/are deploying very advanced services such as LTE Roaming, Self-Care applications, automated IVRs and other such services.

All in all, Caricel was best to have been sold to Digicel or FLOW.
    OK, thank you for this, I didn't know that Flow had all this dominance. Is it that Caricel cannot attain 20Mhz for its 700Mhz spectrum?. They did promise a LTE Advance Network. I agree with you, that the only disruption that Caricel could cause. Would be in the pricing and package offerings. I just wish Flow would offer a more affordable unlimited data plan, as well as larger allotments for prepaid users.

OK, thank you for this, I didn't know that Flow had all this dominance. Is it that Caricel cannot attain 20Mhz for its 700Mhz spectrum?. They did promise a LTE Advance Network. I agree with you, that the only disruption that Caricel could cause. Would be in the pricing and package offerings. I just wish Flow would offer a more affordable unlimited data plan, as well as larger allotments for prepaid users.
    Flow doesn't like to compete. As far as I see it , both networks just need to have LTE roaming locally and save themselves the money

The Band plan that the SMA uses only offers operators a maximum of 10 MHz of 700 MHz. Digicel has 10, Caricel has 10. That’s it. Unless they acquire 1900 MHz or the remaining 10 MHz piece of AWS, that’s as much as they’ll get.

Post Caricel to shut down after Court of Appeal decision

Caricel to shut down after Court of Appeal decision

KINGSTON, Jamaica — The Court of Appeal on Friday denied Symbiote Investment Limited's application for a stay of the Minister of Science, Energy and Technology's decision to revoke its telecommunications licences, and set aside the order granting it permission to appeal.

The Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR), in a statement today, advised that as a result of the decision, Symbiote, which operates as Caricel, is not authorised to own or operate a facility, nor is it permitted to provide telecommunications or other specified services, as defined in the Telecommunications Act, to the public.

The Court's decision upheld the 2018 December Supreme Court decision to deny Symbiote's application for leave to apply for judicial review of the minister's decision.

The Court of Appeal also refused the company's request that a temporary stay be granted until it makes an application for permission to appeal to the Privy Council.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...n?profile=1228
    PHONE: XR